Lightning

Fix For Oil in Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003 | 11:46 PM
I just unplug the solenoid and that takes care of any boost dump and the boost bypass valve still functions under normal conditions...

Old 02-11-2003 | 12:15 AM
WOW....
I don't buy it either seems to simple but I don't agree with oil seperator either..I'll just clean the oil off ever few months easy enough todo in my opinion..

As for Poly Vinyl Chloride ( whitestx) he was correct is saying that it is PLASTIC PIPE >>>>>>so don't rip someone if you don't know yourself--the new checks are PVC and there looks to be a new PcV also but I dont know never took stocker out

I am with you Jeff I just unplugged it too when I first got the truck no problems

Slick
I love this site quite entertaining while on night shift

Old 02-11-2003 | 12:37 AM
Quote:
As for Poly Vinyl Chloride ( whitestx) he was correct is saying that it is PLASTIC PIPE >>>>>>so don't rip someone if you don't know yourself--the new checks are PVC and there looks to be a new PcV also but I dont know never took stocker out

I don't know Slick, " the airflow in the PVC system of the supercharged motor" and "will prevent the PVC circuit flowing air in the reverse direction" are just two of the seven times he uses PVC where he should have used PCV. He was not correct>>>>>>>so don't rip someone if you don't know yourself. Just because the "new" checks are PVC (so are the old ones) doesn't mean you call it a "PVC Kit" and show a picture with the caption "New PVC installed".

BTW, polyvinyl is one word.

Old 02-11-2003 | 01:45 AM
Thanks for the spelling lesson..
Well I think it is a typo and the way it is described it is self explanitory---- to each is own I really don't care either way I am not buying one who care if they are illiterate like me. I knew what he/she meant. I guess every item for sale in the lightning community better pass close (****) inspection of those choice few who really care to not let anything go and who are perfect and don't make mistakes. That is why they bought Lighnings to fix all of Fords mistakes.

I just love how everyone gets along in here including me.

Slick'

Old 02-11-2003 | 08:45 AM
Vaccume spikes I can see but boost spikes no there is nothing between maifold and the piston but the valves.When the throttle is closed the boost stops what is in the manifold is simply pulled and used by the cylinders. Now when the throttle is slamed shut then a high vaccume is a result which is not good I can see this doing some damage but there will be no boost going back throught the blower because the throttle is closed. Do not get confused with a centrifical blower compaired to our positive displacement blower to different set ups. Centrifical is before the throttle and when the throttle is slamed shut the boost has to go somewhere if no bypass or blow off it present it goes back to the blower. On our set up when the throttle is slamed shut the airflow for boost stops and the remaining boosted air is simply used up.If boost spikes were present then woth the bypass mod when you slam the throttle shut you would see the spike on the boost gauge but if you look at it it will go to full vaccume but biist then vaccume.Trust me on this boost spikes do not happen on a pre-throttled blower.
Jeff T.

Old 02-23-2003 | 11:56 PM
and now for the rest of the story…my two cents worth as most would call it

Mr. whitestx posted

I would hope he meant PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) and not PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride) like he put ALL OVER his auction and website.
My thought is that if you think you know what you are talking about and want people to believe you and spend 10 times what the parts are worth, you would show a little more intelligence than that and use the correct abbreviation throughout the entire site.

Excuse me, Mr. whitestx, did you mean?

Main Entry: polyvinyl chloride
Function: noun
Date: 1933
: a polymer of vinyl chloride used especially for electrical insulation, films, and pipes -- abbreviation PVC

I do humbly apologize, the abbreviation PCV is very easy one to mistype (typo) as PVC, guess I should be shot at sunrise for the three times I erroneously typo-‘d PCV and misconstrued this abbreviation’s meaning…I sincerely hope you have never made this grave an error. Wouldn’t want you’re having to be shot at sunrise on my continence.

Everyday I access the web sites of those who misspell words and use incorrect sentence structure in their grammar and there is really no excuse for this as they could easily have used spell check to correct 99% of their problems. Some of the writings on this very board have the WORST spelling imaginable.

However NO spell correcting software differentiates between PCV and PVC, would you believe that not even Miriam Webster’s unabridged dictionary has a definition, spelling or pronunciation listing for PCV (positive crank case ventilation) but as you might reference from my above cited example on PVC that Webster’s does have a listing for (polyvinyl chloride) and since 1933…imagine!

Is plastic that old? I can vividly remember when cars had more metal than plastic in their make-up…guess that really dates me, it’s a safe bet that I’ll never see 50 again in this life.

I thank you for pointing out my error concerning the abbreviations PVC / PCV.

However, Mr. whitestx I do have to take issue with your’ threads claim that

“spend 10 times what the parts are worth”

my PCV (Mr. Whitestx, Did I get the abbreviation right this time???) kit that I market for $24.95 uses only 1/10 that cost in components…

let’s see that would be $2.495 (is my math better than my abbreviations? We don’t want any mistakes here). I challenge you to purchase at retail or otherwise two, yes count them, (2) PCV valves, I include (2) in my PCV kit, no I won’t tell you what particular applications they are for (Hint: one is a supercharged application and the other is a twin turbo application) then there is the three “Breather tube grommets”, one hose clamp, 2 inches of 5/8” heater hose, 6 inches of PVC tape (see I knew that mistake would come in handy) and lets not forget the instructions, at least for those of you that don’t think you know everything.

Now if I may, of course with your permission Mr. whitestx, (that reminds me what exactly is a white “STX” anyway?
This question did come to mind.
Could it be a Toyota Celica STX?
Possibly in white, if it was then why would we be bragging about this on the F-150 Forum board? Could STX mean a name brand of girls Lacrosse Equipment, you bet it does?
It can also stand for Streaming Transformations for XML (STX), which for those of you not familiar with networking and computer technology lets just say it’s a one-pass transformation language for XML documents.)
I’ll bet if your STX is in fact the Toyota type that it can’t beat my Lightning. I should put a smiley face here, don’t you think?

Now let’s see, where was I?

Its so hard to get someone to listen to you instead of jumping ahead of what you are saying and just going to something that they are thinking. If you were standing beside me while I am explaining this PCV problem it would click in your' head and you would probably say hey your right. I am right and it does work!

This is how it is…If you’re standing in front of your “L” with the engine running, fresh air is being circulated in a clockwise direction through the PCV circuit, it comes in the air filter, through the mass airflow sensor, into the intake boot, then down the black tube and into the driver side cam cover and into the crank case where it picks up blow-by and oil fumes and then up through the passenger’s side cam cover, back out the passenger's side PCV valve and finally into the plenum above the blower’s rotors where it is mixed with fresh intake air, through the blower and intake manifold and finally into the combustion chamber where it is burned. When you accelerate and the boost kicks in the normal airflow reverses for a split second and goes counter clockwise. Since the stock PCV does not do a thing to stop this reversed flow, the air carries oil out the driver side cam cover and into the throttle body.

If someone is standing beside me and I explain this to them they go usually say "Oh yea I see". But on the net all they hear bla bla bla bla bla.

The kit doesn't do anything that restricts the crank case ventilation, it only channels the airflow in the right direction and prevents the reversed flow and therefore it eliminates most of the oil coming into the intake boot...Works for me and many of my friends, that's all the proof I need.

Old 02-24-2003 | 12:35 AM
Wow, took you that long to come up with all that? J/k, I don't want to start a flame war.
The point I made in my post was to point out that if your add was any indication to the time you spent researching your product, buyer beware. I do understand it is fairly easy to type PVC when you intend to type PCV, however proof reading your add would have revealed your "simple" mistake.
On to the White STX. If you had read any of my first posts, insead of spouting off, you would have realized I had a 1998 F-150 XLT with the STX package. Enough said there.
In your add here: http://lightning-enterprise.com/pcv.html You never state anything about, or show, the second PCV valve or the three “Breather tube grommets", therefore leading me to believe and possibly others that they are just getting a PCV valve, a short piece of 5/8" hose, a coupler and a hose clamp. All hardly worth the $24.95 (except for the value of their function).
At no time did I say that your product was worthless, moreso I said that if you want people to listen to you, know what you are saying is what you meant to say. I am fairly certain that the kit you sell does prevent the oil usage that most of us experience daily.
I have to admit, I was originally angered by your respnse, mainly the "Mr. whitestx". I went through this post 3-4 times changing my words so as to not show any anger in my words. If this reply is taken as a stab at you, it's not.
Good luck with your business.
BTW, could NW Florida be Pensacola? I spent a summer there (1997). Gotta love Pensacola Beach...White sand, clear blue water and The Dock!

Old 02-24-2003 | 12:44 AM
talan66 - I don't know if your PCV kit works or not as I have not installed it. One thing I do know for a fact is you shipped my product in a very timely fashion and I feel rather confident that if I need additional help with the install, you will be willing and able to help. I wish I could say that about all people with whom I have done business. Best of luck to you and thanks for what I think will be a fix for a major problem with the L. You wouldn't happen to be working on a fix for the cracking fog lights, spitting plugs and weak rods would you?

Gary

Old 02-24-2003 | 02:25 AM
Originally posted by nostreetracing
talan66 - I don't know if your PCV kit works or not as I have not installed it. One thing I do know for a fact is you shipped my product in a very timely fashion and I feel rather confident that if I need additional help with the install, you will be willing and able to help. I wish I could say that about all people with whom I have done business. Best of luck to you and thanks for what I think will be a fix for a major problem with the L. You wouldn't happen to be working on a fix for the cracking fog lights, spitting plugs and weak rods would you?

Gary
DITTO! Word for word.

Andy

Old 02-24-2003 | 04:20 AM
in reply

No, whitestx it did not take me as long to respond to your initial thread, as you may like to think it did. I do not desire a flame war either and that was not the objective of my response to your insinuations that I was so ignorant that not only could I not proof read my auctions, nor my web site let alone conduct enough competent research sufficient enough to have developed this PCV kit. One of the most mechanically inclined individuals I have ever had the pleasure of knowing had but an eighth grade education and could barely write legibly. Fantastic with racecars, their construction, tuning, idiosyncrasies and all that is involved in successfully campaigning a winning car.

Yes, the missed abbreviations were a simple mistake and one that I am guilty of perpetrating. However would it not have been prudent and more diplomatic to have just pointed out the error instead of starting an issue over the mistake?

I do not have the time that is necessary to constantly peruse the different forum boards and pick up on all the posts as some may have the privilege of doing. A friend alerted me to this post and its' following threads. Aren’t the boards there to ask questions, post thoughts and to make friends and acquaintances? Not to just slam others, their wares or products.

I myself have issues with some suppliers that I have had the misfortune of buying or trying to buy from in the past, I will not name names even though several might be supporting vendors on this board and others...these would be legit complaints and verifiable, not just speculation on the part of gossipers who randomly post on one band wagon or the next.

I only addressed you as Mr. Whitestx out of respect to the fact that I do not know you, much as I would address you as Mr. Smith if indeed Smith were your sir name. I am always careful not to cast the first stone, you never know in whose direction you maybe throwing. Life is short and the world grows smaller around us. The person we insult on the Internet may just be our very neighbor, a relative, friend or a relation of someone we hold dear to us.

I do thank you for you "Well Wishes" and only hoped that we might have gotten of on a better footing than slinging mud at one another as it would seem.

Yes, it could very well be Pcola, the Dock, Trader Johns, the Blues and the White Sand Beaches...I do love them

BTW, I have a very good friend that resides in Lakeside.

P.S. Mistakes are simple in our fast paced world, apologizes are much harder and fewer in coming.

Old 02-24-2003 | 06:35 AM
Hey Talon ...

You make some really neat stuff - your products help us - and your polished components are super, that's really all you need to know and I'm sure you already know it ... and by the looks of it all the guys know it too... good luck and continue to march forward with some great new doo-dads...

Old 02-24-2003 | 07:50 AM
Question Question for Talon66

Talon66,
I recently purchased your PCV kit for the Lightning. I have not installed it yet because I have a few questions that I hope you can help me with.
To begin, I currently have the oil filter/seperator mod installed in the line from my passenger side valve cover to the back of the intake scoop above the blower. Basically it's just an air compressor air filter put inline with the passenger side PCV circuit. I got this idea from a bunch of people on this forum who refer to it as the "oil seperator mod". You have probably already read about it on this forum if you have been around here long. The bowl of this filter seems to collect some oil every time I go driving and "get on it" a few times. Someone on here stated that they believed this oil to be caused by the sudden change from boost to vacuum like when I WOT it and then let off the gas.
My question is:
When I install your PCV system, should I keep the oil seperator mod installed or should I remove it?

Any information would be appreciated,

Old 02-24-2003 | 05:09 PM
answer from Talan 66

Please do not mistake the PCV kit with its two valves for the oil removal device that you are using to keep oil out of your inter-cooler area. I never claimed that this KIT would keep all of the oil completely out of the inter-cooler, this kit is mainly for people that are getting oil in their intake boot and sprayed all over their throttle body. This oil ends up in the inter-cooler also.

I cannot see any relation to the oil separator you are running and the oil in the intake boot / throttle body area. No one has yet been able to explain to me how the separator / filter keeps oil out of the intake boot and throttle body area. I personally do not run an oil separator on my Lightning and since coming up with the PCV kit initially and testing / running one on my vehicle I do not have the puffing oil smoke that once embarrassed me at start-up.

A beautiful new truck and puffing oil smoke all over the place when it starts. Really sad!

This is how the PCV kit works. If your standing in front of your "L" with the engine running, air is being circulated in a clockwise direction in the PCV circuit, it comes in the air filter, down the black tube and into the driver side cam cover and into the crank case through the crank case where it picks up oil and blow-by fumes then up through the passenger's side cam cover and back out the passenger's side PCV valve and into the plenum above the blower rotors where it is mixed with fresh intake air and channeled through the intercooler and intake manifold then finally into the combustion chamber where it is burned. When you accelerate and the boost kicks in the airflow reverses for a split second and goes counter clockwise. The air still has to return to the plenum above the blower under normal conditions.

Since the stock PCV does not do a thing to stop this reversed flow, the air carries oil out the driver side and into the throttle body. The kit doesn't do anything that restricts the crank case ventilation, it only channels the airflow in the right direction at all times and prevents the reversed flow and therefore it eliminates most of the oil coming into the intake boot...Works for me and it will for you too.

I do suggest your having an open air filter to flow more air, this will help keep the intake from sucking so hard on the PCV line coming from the passenger's cam cover. I do believe that oil can come up the line from the PCV valve and into the inter-cooler area; its obvious that can happen or your separator would not have any oil in it.

However I know that if you wash each line, the throttle body and intake boot area with a mild solvent prior to installing the PCV kit, dry them thoroughly and wipe out most of the oil residue from the inside of the plenum above the blower that you will see a noticeable reduction in oil consumption. I run seven (7) quarts of oil in my stock pan for the extra insurance and get very little oil if any.

I recently read a posting from a person that is running my kit and he claimed that NO oil was showing up in his separators bowl and another that claimed he still got a small amount of oil in his. I would say that from the initial feedback from those who have bought my PCV kit, that it is working very well as expected and that many have noticed a reduction in oil consumption.

Ultimately the choice is yours whether you want to keep the separator or not. If I had purchased one, drilled the holes and cut lines to install it and I was comfortable with the way an oil separator looks under my hood and the chore of maintaining the bowl all the time I would probably just leave it alone. I cannot see where it would hurt.

I really don't think I would run out and buy one however...think they look awful.

TB

Old 02-24-2003 | 06:17 PM
Thanks Talan,
I think I'm going to try using your PCV system in conjunction with my oil seperator for a while just to see if any oil shows up in the seperator's bowl. I let you know my findings.

Eric

Old 03-21-2003 | 03:34 PM
In an effort to inform and not slam,
in defense of the right that members are made fully aware and so that members might make a more knowledgeable decision I am posting the following concerning the Swanson PCV Kit / Fix.

As you might be well aware over the last few weeks and on several national message boards I have explained, diagrammed, debated and out right argued defending one of my products. That product being my PCV Valve Kit and the hows and whys of it's theory, research, testing and last but not least its function.

During this time I have many spent many hours writing responses to those who who would slam my product, question its ability and worthiness, many without ever having purchased one.

I have read where the Swanson Kit is far superior, less costly and works flawlessly and even that it can be obtained for free.

I just had to order one and see for myself.

This is what I've found so far.

DS Kit contains:

(1) One - Motorcraft PCV Valve EV-98-B
The same PCV Valve that is listed for a 2003 Cobra and costs $4.32 from fordpartsonline.

(2) One - dime-sized plate 7/16” dia.
(3) One - partially typed and part hand written sheet of instructions with simple hand drawings.

Cost $20.
Shipping $10. to ship it by Fed-Ex
(The whole kit weighs less that 1 ounce)

Total $30.

Now I will let you figure out how it does or doesn't work

Quick Reply: Fix For Oil in Throttle Body