Lightning

Fix For Oil in Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003 | 08:05 PM
swanson kit

It doesn't matter what it costs because it works!! Skip

Old 03-21-2003 | 08:26 PM
From what I can tell, the Swanson kit looks like a joke.

Somebody correct me if Im wrong...
but putting a block off disk in the breather tube is no differant than using a ball bearing. By blocking off that hose you kill any suckion, i.e. PCV action on the drivers side. To me that doesnt sound like a good thing at all for a street driven motor.

...and what the hell is the new pcv valve for if that side is blocked off?

I like Talon66's idea a whoooole lot better. Plus I have it on my truck and I know it works.

Andy

Old 03-21-2003 | 08:30 PM
|
Can anyone tell me how the Swanson kits works? Talan66 has explained how his works in great detail and it makes sense.

Why does the Swanson kit only use ONE PCV valve when the Talan kit uses TWO? It also cost less as well when you include shipping?

I have the Talan kit and it works great. No more smoke on start-up or oil in the T/B. Received it extremely fast as well!

Old 03-21-2003 | 09:12 PM
The Swanson kit only blocks off the upper intake. The pcv valve is still hooked to the lower intake. The new valve does not allow boost to enter the crankcase. Look at a new Cobra and it is plumbed only to the lower intake. The kit also stops boost bleed off back through the upper intake. The pcv valve still works just like every other car on the street. It still goes from the valve cover to the intake. No magic, just good engineering. Skip

Old 03-21-2003 | 11:06 PM
Originally posted by talan66
In an effort to inform and not slam,
in defense of the right that members are made fully aware and so that members might make a more knowledgeable decision I am posting the following concerning the Swanson PCV Kit / Fix.

As you might be well aware over the last few weeks and on several national message boards I have explained, diagrammed, debated and out right argued defending one of my products. That product being my PCV Valve Kit and the hows and whys of it's theory, research, testing and last but not least its function.

During this time I have many spent many hours writing responses to those who who would slam my product, question its ability and worthiness, many without ever having purchased one.

I have read where the Swanson Kit is far superior, less costly and works flawlessly and even that it can be obtained for free.

I just had to order one and see for myself.

This is what I've found so far.

DS Kit contains:

(1) One - Motorcraft PCV Valve EV-98-B
The same PCV Valve that is listed for a 2003 Cobra and costs $4.32 from fordpartsonline.

(2) One - dime-sized plate 7/16” dia.
(3) One - partially typed and part hand written sheet of instructions with simple hand drawings.

Cost $20.
Shipping $10. to ship it by Fed-Ex
(The whole kit weighs less that 1 ounce)

Total $30.

Now I will let you figure out how it does or doesn't work

I'm wondering if that PCV Valve (EV-98-B) is enough without the dime-sized plate? Would it not stop the pressure coming back up from the driver's side into the intake boot? To me, that one-way PCV valve looks like it would work fine without blocking all the vents and thus having pressure build up with nowhere to vent.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. If you guys think that the PCV valve alone (without the dime-sized plate) is enough to alleviate *some* of the oil consumption/pooling in the intake boot, I'm going to test it with my upcoming oil change. However, if you believe that the EV-98-B valve must be used in conjunction with another device, please let me know ASAP. By the way, I am not running a oil breather cap either (chip wasn't burned for it)....

Old 03-21-2003 | 11:23 PM
Why don't you want to use the disk? The crankcase still vents into the lower manifold. ( like a cobra ) With the disk boost comes on faster. Some trucks have made up to 8 or 9 more hp on Danny's dyno with the kit. I have had mine on since November with zero problems and no oil in the intake or the intercooler. Skip

Old 03-21-2003 | 11:34 PM
Simply because I'm not ready to shell out 30 bucks if I can just go to my dealership and ask for that PCV valve for under 5 bucks. If this can be done and will alleviate my oil-in-intake woes, then I will try it.

I don't know if I will be able to find a dime-sized disc similar to what Swanson is offering...but if you have a source let me know.

For now I will go ahead and get that pcv valve from Ford unless someone thinks there may be problems with just swapping out that particular valve?

Old 03-22-2003 | 01:50 AM
Some more food for thought

Has anybody bothered to look at the hole in the back of the manifold?

I have!

The DS fix would probably stop the oil problem only because that line hooks into a fitting with a hole in it the size of a pin.

I would be afraid it would not vent enough through a hole this small and really screw up something.

Also the lower PCV line we are talking about is prone higher boost pressure and more often than the top line as it is below the blower's rotors. Isn't that where the boost is present?

I like my set up and it works just like I want it to.

Old 03-22-2003 | 03:25 AM
Remember, it still vents from the drivers side valve cover to the intake boot. Since the crankcase is not under pressure, oil will not be pushed up into the intake boot. Skip

Old 03-22-2003 | 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Skip
Why don't you want to use the disk? The crankcase still vents into the lower manifold. ( like a cobra ) With the disk boost comes on faster. Some trucks have made up to 8 or 9 more hp on Danny's dyno with the kit. I have had mine on since November with zero problems and no oil in the intake or the intercooler. Skip
Skip have you had your chipped reburned for the DS kit? He told me you need too

Old 03-22-2003 | 10:37 AM
Jeff, the way you told me required no reburning correct? You didn't mention the disk...only the valve...

Old 03-22-2003 | 11:03 AM
No chip reburn needed. Skip

Old 03-22-2003 | 02:26 PM
DS has said with his kit you should have a reburn...Maybe he has since changed his mind...

Old 03-22-2003 | 05:47 PM
Went out this afternoon and picked up a EV-98-B PCV Valve for 5 bucks at my local Ford dealership. Changed the oil as well using 6 quarts of 5w30 Mobil 1 SuperSynth and a Motorcraft FL-820S oil filter. Also cleaned the small traces of oil in the boot/TB area. I'll be keeping track of my oil consumption as well as the amounts of oil in the intake area.

I did NOT use a dime-sized plate to block off the upper hole. I hope this will at least alleviate my oil woes if not eliminate it completely.

Old 03-22-2003 | 05:58 PM
Also, just for the record I did not really see a difference between the 2 valves (EV-98-B and the stock EV-233). Both had that little loose piece of metal that would cover the bottom hole if held downwards, thus I would think that both do its job of blocking off one way of the PCV when under pressure. Both units seemed "one-way" to me...but I didn't take them apart or anything, just eyeballed them both.

Either way, I hope this will help...

EDIT: upon closer inspection the one i took out (the stock one) doesnt do its job very well....like the hole is round and the little metal piece is square so there are holes that would allow oil to come up still

maybe that's it?

Last edited by cyntaxx; 03-22-2003 at 06:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Fix For Oil in Throttle Body