Lightning

setting PATS(pcm experts cont.) [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2003, 06:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ZZAPP
Jefflaws. I talked to JDM today ,before I read your post and he said that I need a "service Bay Card" inserted into the NGS. The locksmith had and used one that said "NGS Service". Does this make any sense to you.
yea, that sounds like the right one.

Old 02-14-2003, 09:55 AM
Thank you Jefflaws and crazyone. I really appreciate your help , but I am obviously having a little confusion with this thing. Crazyone, you mention removing the old pcm and replacing the eec . Is that another name for pcm.? I guess what I need is a step by step summary. Part of my confusion is that JDM says use the erase keys setting. So amybe I haven't clear about my situation. Im using a new pcm that the dealer reset using my origional keys. I had towed my truck in for some work with this new pcm. Now I want to return my origional pcm to the truck still using the same keys or new keys if neccessary.I know you said the keys have nothing to do with this process , but I am just trying to be accurate.

So what I am looking for is a step by step process for dummies to get my origional (old) pcm to work. If I have to bring the truck in for service again i will then be able to repeat the process in reverse.
I know you have been patiently trying to help, but I havn't been able to put the entiire process together. Ive been working on cars since the 60's and have built a few rods, but am stuck on this process for some reason. Thanks again......Mike

Old 02-14-2003, 12:37 PM
Not to step on anyones toes, but other people are telling you a lot of unneccesary steps.

1 Put new PCM in

2 Plug in NGS with service card, turn ign on

3 Choose HEC, then ENTER SECURITY ACCESS

4 After the 10min wait, choose PARAMETER RESET

5 Turn ign off, unplug NGS, wait 10 seconds.

6 Cycle ignition from OFF to RUN 5 times, each time leaving the ignition in RUN for at least 3 seconds, and OFF for at least 2 seconds. This initializes the PCM/PATS and now PID PCM_ID = STORED. Theft indicator should prove-out for 3 seconds and vehicle will start.

That last step is copied straight out of the book, that may be whats kept it from working. You dont need both keys present since you arent supposed to be erasing stored keys.

Remember, ALL you are doing is erasing the PCM ID from the HEC so that it will accept the new one. This really has NOTHING to do with PATS, but with the allowed network communications between the PCM and HEC.

Old 02-14-2003, 01:24 PM
Jefflaws,

I found this on e-Bay. Will this item work for what we are trying to do?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6754

Old 02-15-2003, 05:15 AM
Yep

Old 02-15-2003, 08:54 AM
Thanks Jefflaws.
I will try to get the locksmithn to try that. He was a little concernd about something going wrong and end up with two computers that wouldnt work. ............Mike

Old 02-18-2003, 12:40 AM
THANKS JEFFLAWS!

Your directions to run with new pcm worked .
Thanks for all your help! Mike.

Old 02-18-2003, 11:32 AM
Is there a lower cost NGS tool that will perform said functions along with doing some datalogging for tuning purposes?

thanks!

Ken

Old 12-25-2008, 01:41 AM
Originally Posted by kidtriton
I thought we talked about this last week? Its NOTHING to do with PATS or programming keys when you swap PCMs. It all has to do with doing a PARAMETER RESET in the HEC to allow a PCM to work. Reprogramming keys doesnt do a parameter reset.
Hey, hate to dig up an old thread but, looks like this comment is exactly what I need to learn more about. I just can't find what I am looking for in the Mustang forums. Too many opinions that don't add up.

Here's my situation and excuse me for wanting your help with my Mustang. I know I'm not in the right forum but, it's a Ford.

I am doing an Automatic transmission to 5-speed transmission swap on my 2003 Mustang. I'm putting in the factory/Tremec T5 from another donor Mustang. I have bought the correct and new PCM that will have all the correct calibrations for the 5-speed transmission. What I need to know is what the heck is a HEC and how do I get it updated to recognize the new PCM? Where is the PATS car key data kept and how is it that my current car keys work with my new 5-speed PCM?

Can I do this myself or do I need to take it somewhere to get it done? Also, if the HEC is needing to be updated everytime you switch out a PCM then what do all these PCM refurbishers do to help out their customers?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Last edited by mickey_bigdaddy; 12-25-2008 at 01:44 AM.
Old 12-25-2008, 04:22 PM
before i got my lightning i was looking @ an SN95. since it was an auto, i was searching about doing a manual swap. from what i read, when you swap out the PCM it will most likely interfere with the PATS system. on all the searching i did, no one said they were able to fix it themselves, but they had to have the PCM reprogrammed with the new cluster/PATS system. so, after doing my research, i scrapped the manual swap search & just started to try to find a manual foxbody or SN95. but then i was able to find my lightning, lol. good luck.

Old 12-28-2008, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by ebxgsxr
before i got my lightning i was looking @ an SN95. since it was an auto, i was searching about doing a manual swap. from what i read, when you swap out the PCM it will most likely interfere with the PATS system. on all the searching i did, no one said they were able to fix it themselves, but they had to have the PCM reprogrammed with the new cluster/PATS system. so, after doing my research, i scrapped the manual swap search & just started to try to find a manual foxbody or SN95. but then i was able to find my lightning, lol. good luck.
What year is it. I had a couple 1995's and neither had pats.

Old 12-28-2008, 07:51 PM
the sn95 i was looking at was a 97. i honestly cant remember the what years of the cars that the people were writing about.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:59 AM
It's doable see here:

http://www.3.8mustang.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56623

Again, I am doing an Automatic transmission to 5-speed transmission swap on my 2003 Mustang. I'm putting in the factory/Tremec T5 from another donor Mustang. I have bought the correct and new PCM that will have all the correct calibrations for the 5-speed transmission. What I need to know is what the heck is a HEC and how do I get it updated to recognize the new PCM? Where is the PATS car key data kept and how is it that my current car keys work with my new 5-speed PCM?

Can I do this myself or do I need to take it somewhere to get it done? Also, if the HEC is needing to be updated everytime you switch out a PCM then what do all these PCM refurbishers do to help out their customers?

Old 12-29-2008, 08:35 PM
I believe the hec is when you hold the trip reset and then turn the car on to enter that test deal. If you haven't done it try it all kinds of neat stuff to look at then never look at again.

Quick Reply: setting PATS(pcm experts cont.) [Merged]