Lightning

setting PATS(pcm experts cont.) [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
setting PATS(pcm experts cont.)

Im still trying to figure out how to alternate between two computers( ref. thread on pcm experts) without going to a Ford dealer every time i switch, esp since they keep a record of it. We could only tell them we lost our keys so many times. Does anyone besides a ford dealer have the ability to reset PATS.?

Thanks. Mike

Old 02-10-2003, 08:57 PM
Good Locksmiths, anyone with a NGS scan tool,

Doug

Old 02-12-2003, 09:29 PM
can't reprogram stock pcm. Ideas?

When my friend brought his L in for some warrantee work, he put in a new fresh pcm first. The dealer of course had to reprogram his pats. When he got the vehicle back, he reinstalled the origional pcm. He thought he could just switch his original pcm back and restart his truck . He found out he couldn't and it was explained by some of the guys on this board. Sooo...
he didn't want to go to ford for the reprogram and called a good locksmith who had the equipment to reprogram his pats for him, by erasing his present program and attempting to reprogram the same keys to the origional pcm. Sounds easy. But it did not work. It just wouldn't take. Put the new pcm back and started right up. any ideas of what went wrong would sure be appreciated. He would really like to have one pcm for daily fun, and a virgin one in case it has go in for repairs such as blown plugs. He realizes he may have to reprogram each time, but why didn't the reprogram work in this case. thanks in advance. Mike

Old 02-12-2003, 09:35 PM
I thought we talked about this last week? Its NOTHING to do with PATS or programming keys when you swap PCMs. It all has to do with doing a PARAMETER RESET in the HEC to allow a PCM to work. Reprogramming keys doesnt do a parameter reset.

Old 02-12-2003, 09:38 PM
You dont reprogram keys when replacing a PCM. You have to enter security access, then do a parameter reset in the HEC to clear the old PCM ID.

Old 02-12-2003, 09:53 PM
Thanks jefflaws. I think that that is what he did.. He had the ford book out and just followed step by step. Plugged the device in, entered codes, waited 10 minutes, turne key on and off(or visa versa) wait 2 minutes. Then tried to start. and If he had actually erased anything , how come when I put the "working"pcm back in it started right up .? Mike

Old 02-12-2003, 10:01 PM
Thanks Jefflaws. I think I just answered you inadvertantly on my old thread. Sorry, I guess I just dont understand the lingo. So Should I just tell the locksmith to just reset the parameters in the hec.? Im not sure he understands either. Is there any other way to word that? sorry if I seem dumb, Im a pretty good mechanic, but am somewhat weak with this electronics lingo. thanks again.. Mike

Old 02-12-2003, 11:21 PM
is it possible that is how some one stole my truck?????

Old 02-13-2003, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by CrazyFoo
is it possible that is how some one stole my truck?????

yes get the VIN

go to fmcdealer.com

get upper level access

program the code that goes with the vin into a key FOB

jimmy the lock with key FOB super close

ready to go and steal

actually pretty easy huh? that is if you are a hacker too haha.

Old 02-13-2003, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by Probleminfected
yes get the VIN

go to fmcdealer.com

get upper level access

program the code that goes with the vin into a key FOB

jimmy the lock with key FOB super close

ready to go and steal

actually pretty easy huh? that is if you are a hacker too haha.
that doesnt make sense??? What does a keyless entry transmitter have to do with getting a truck to run? You cant get anything other then a key code for a physical key from fmcdealer.

Old 02-13-2003, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by ZZAPP
how come when I put the "working"pcm back in it started right up .? Mike
Because THAT pcm id is stored in the HEC, so IT works, and the old one doesnt.

Old 02-13-2003, 06:55 AM
Tell him to do this: AFTER he waits the 10 minutes security access on the HEC (this so far is like he was gonna program keys), Then when the screen comes up, tell him NOT to choose "erase keys codes", but to choose "parameter reset". Thats all you have to do. That makes the HEC erase its stored PCM ID and look on the vehicle network and retrieve and save the currently installed PCM's ID. If he has a locksmith type stripped down NGS, he might not have the ability to do a parameter reset.

Old 02-13-2003, 10:00 PM
Jefflaws. I talked to JDM today ,before I read your post and he said that I need a "service Bay Card" inserted into the NGS. The locksmith had and used one that said "NGS Service". Does this make any sense to you.

Old 02-13-2003, 10:04 PM
Im hoping to get this to work so that I dont have to scrape the gunk off of my new pcm, in case I need it again.

Old 02-13-2003, 10:22 PM
You need the GREEN card which if the the locksmith is programming keys he will have, you cannot simply 'learn in new keys' you have to clear the HEC module, (with old pcm installed) drop battery, swap eec, reconnect the battery , start truck with first key, take out immediately insert the next key and start again, continue till you have no more keys (for those that have more than 2)

Brandon

PS you have to chose teh HEC module, and 'reset all parameters' is i believe its title. You will have to wait the 10 mins before you can do it...

Quick Reply: setting PATS(pcm experts cont.) [Merged]