Lightning

Sparkplug Seal and Lean Conditions Root Cause Analysis

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003 | 08:39 PM
|
Sparkplug Seal and Lean Conditions Root Cause Analysis

Having changed my plugs just prior to the rod braking..I began to wonder at the actual root cause of the rod failure....When I changed my plus I notice and posted here about a reddish

Which cylinder is the #5. I"m gonna capture pictures again tomorrow and I was just speculating on this issue...almost like Ford speculating on Customer Service.

Anyhow...The plug that concerns me is the third one back on the
drivers side head. The weight of My 3/8" ratchet broke the plug over...no force was need from me. I did observe that the plug well was coated with a reddish substance. This substance..evidently is illegal...like Weed. The substance looks like a by product of the combustion process I have seen often on plugs. Some have said octane boosters have an additive which burns off this color.

Again, If the compression in a given cylinder is blowing by the plug threads..I never heard audible indications..Vacuum would tend to be the same. If vacuum is capable of pulling more unmetered air into the cylinder...Would this not cause a lean condition. With the plug leaving the head issues..I feel there is some substantial indictors here of root cause for my engine failure.

Please comment or expound on this theory.

Thanks

Jeff Culbreth

For the Folks at Fords Black Ops Section....

Do you want my street address or Just My PO Box...

Phone number..you got that already...

Old 02-12-2003 | 08:51 PM
|
There is a well know and utilized Root Cause Analysis formate and form that I would like to work towards some valid awareness of this on going debacle.

Old 02-12-2003 | 09:03 PM
If it is in fact pushing or pulling air by a loose or mis-sealed plug that sure would be UN-METERED AIR. Just how much and how much it would change the mixture is unknown to me, hopefully someone will know ??

Old 02-12-2003 | 10:21 PM
rob

your turning into a post *****

Old 02-12-2003 | 10:43 PM
If (when) the plug leaves the head you will be very likely to burn a valve, but you would have to have combustion to worry about un-metered air.
Ford sounds like an old Ferrari F1 team excuse from years goneby:
"We had and electrical failure" read - The rod came out of the block and knocked the alternator bracket off of the engine.

Old 02-12-2003 | 10:48 PM
redneck: you make an excellent point. When the spark plug comes loose that cyl. will run super Lean!When the piston goes down on intake stroke it sucks in outside air and leans the fuel mixture down alot! this is what we have seen for a long time with these trucks. we have had sooooooo many NEW trucks in the shop that we didn't even need a ratchet to loosen the plugs....JL

Old 02-12-2003 | 10:53 PM
The only time it matters is when running throttled since when you are under boost the pressure in the cylinder is always higher than atmospheric. And when you are throttled, the computer is adjusting A/F to keep it stoich anyway. I don't think it would be an A/F problem.

The biggest problem that could crop up is combustion gases leaking past the spark plug.

Quick Reply: Sparkplug Seal and Lean Conditions Root Cause Analysis