Lightning

People who bought cobra R got porked

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2003 | 05:20 PM
There is a guy who runs in NMRA Mod Motor class with a supercharged 2000 R. I've seen him at pretty much every race. Nice to see people actually USING the car instead of it being a show queen.

Old 02-16-2003 | 06:42 PM
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthrea...5&pagenumber=1

Turboed Cobra R

480 RWHP 520rwtq and only at 5psi

Old 02-16-2003 | 06:45 PM
His run: http://www.pnrracing.com/2000CobraR/...ra%20R%20turbo'd.WMV

Ran a 15.5 because it wasnt floored...wanted it dialed in I guess?

Old 02-17-2003 | 02:04 PM
Re: People who bought cobra R got porked

Originally posted by Lightningquick
I just feel bad for the people that OVER paid for the cobra Rs in 2000.Ford really screwed you big time. No radio,nothin and a regular cobra in 03 will WALK all over you at 1/2 the price.I understand that they are limited and rare but at this point,I dont feel that (and never did) they are worth the money.The new Cobra on the other hand is awesome.

I just think it must feel bad since you who bought them wanted to have the fastest and rarest SVT car.Some of the color combos on the 03 cobra are probally just as rare.No flaming,We are all SVT lovers but ,I would feel molested.It'll probally even spit a spark plug in a few miles..

OUCH
Speaking as one of the "porked" Cobra R owners, I can't tell you how much I apprciate your concern over our well being when it comes to car purchases.
If we only would have had your wisdom 3 years ago when we bought our cars, I would have bought the 03 Cobra then instead.

After owning and driving both cars, yes the 03 is a nice car, but if you think it is even in the same league as the R, you are mistaken. Sorry you feel bad for us, but seriously there is no need wasting pitty on us. hehe. If I had to get rid of my toys, the R's would be the last to go, the 03 would be one of the first.

Didn't come to start a fued (heck, I started my internet life here), but comments like that are just so niave.

Brian

btw: most of us didn't pay over list or even at list, contrary to popular belief

Last edited by bggroth; 02-17-2003 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-17-2003 | 02:19 PM
I saw that turbo Cobra R saturday at person at a local car show. Its pretty cool looking with that turbo on. But I think its pretty bad of Ford to build Limited Production Cobra R that was suppose to be their supercar and cost $55k get beat three years later buy a regular cobra. Just looks like their only hurting the themselves here. I know if I bought a Cobra R I would be freaking pissed. Shell out 55k with no radio, air, just ment for pure performance and still loose to a new cobra for 20k less with air and radio. I would have to supercharge my Cobra R for another atleast 5k on top of that 55k just to beat the new cobra. Everyone keeps saying how it handles so much better. I could care less. I think the Cobra R owners got hosed.

Old 02-17-2003 | 03:22 PM
99 Lightning #1610 of 4000 PSP enhanced.
2001 Cobra #1913 of 3867
1995 Cobra R #23 of 250
2000 Cobra R #131 & 148 of 300
2003 Cobra

I dunno, I still kinda pity. 5 Cobras? NOT ENOUGH!! And only 2 2000 Cobra Rs??? bah....i'll paypal you a donation if you really need it..

Old 02-17-2003 | 03:28 PM
Originally posted by sovich
Shell out 55k with no radio, air, just ment for pure performance and still loose to a new cobra for 20k less with air and radio.
Sounds like you wouldnt be the type to buy a 'R' anyhow. If I was looking for another mustang now...you could prolly get either one for about $35k now...I think I would go for the 'R' just because it's like having either a regular cobra or a shelby cobra...just my .02

Old 02-17-2003 | 03:42 PM
Before I was looking at Lightnings, my first test drive was in a brand new GT. However, I wanted a package similar to that GT-S one offered in ...95? The one with power windows delete, cloth v6 seats, etc etc.

Same with the WRX I looked at. Any run-of-the-mill car like a Mustang GT or WRX I would've opted for as many deletes (cept AC) as possible. I figure I was going to replace everything from the seats to the wheels so why bother paying more upfront?

Old 02-17-2003 | 05:41 PM
|
Re: Re: People who bought cobra R got porked

Originally posted by bggroth
Speaking as one of the "porked" Cobra R owners, I can't tell you how much I apprciate your concern over our well being when it comes to car purchases.
If we only would have had your wisdom 3 years ago when we bought our cars, I would have bought the 03 Cobra then instead.

After owning and driving both cars, yes the 03 is a nice car, but if you think it is even in the same league as the R, you are mistaken. Sorry you feel bad for us, but seriously there is no need wasting pitty on us. hehe. If I had to get rid of my toys, the R's would be the last to go, the 03 would be one of the first.

Didn't come to start a fued (heck, I started my internet life here), but comments like that are just so niave.

Brian

btw: most of us didn't pay over list or even at list, contrary to popular belief

NIAVE??
I dont think so.
I guess you didnt read my other reply?
I think Rs arevery nice and you can give me all the facts in the world about availabilty and rareness,Plain and simple,For what ENTHUSIAST do with STREET driven cars,The R is easily waxed by a car at almost 1/2 the price.THAT was my point.Im happy for all you people who bought them and think they are a great investment while they sit in your garage to look at.If you want an investment buy a house not a car.Too Afraid to drive it in fear of losing value.Houses in my area just DOUBLED in value in the last 3 years and it wont be the last time before I sell.I could walk with almost $200k Profit on my house if i wanted to sell.Thats in 2 years!A car is the wrong choice.If you are not going to use the R like it was intended,(to race)I feel you got PORKED

Old 02-17-2003 | 05:55 PM
Re: People who bought cobra R got porked

I just feel bad for the people that OVER paid for the cobra Rs in 2000.Ford really screwed you big time. No radio,nothin and a regular cobra in 03 will WALK all over you at 1/2 the price.I understand that they are limited and rare but at this point,I dont feel that (and never did) they are worth the money.The new Cobra on the other hand is awesome.

I just think it must feel bad since you who bought them wanted to have the fastest and rarest SVT car.Some of the color combos on the 03 cobra are probally just as rare.No flaming,We are all SVT lovers but ,I would feel molested.It'll probally even spit a spark plug in a few miles..

OUCH
Soo... what about in a year or 2, when Ford releases a 500 hp Lightning, that will walk all over our modified ones... stock! If the price is comperable, then current Lightning owners will be in the same boat. It always seems something better comes along after you buy something.

Old 02-17-2003 | 06:11 PM
Re: Re: Re: People who bought cobra R got porked

NIAVE??
I dont think so.
I guess you didnt read my other reply?
I think Rs arevery nice and you can give me all the facts in the world about availabilty and rareness,Plain and simple,For what ENTHUSIAST do with STREET driven cars,The R is easily waxed by a car at almost 1/2 the price.THAT was my point.Im happy for all you people who bought them and think they are a great investment while they sit in your garage to look at.If you want an investment buy a house not a car.Too Afraid to drive it in fear of losing value.Houses in my area just DOUBLED in value in the last 3 years and it wont be the last time before I sell.I could walk with almost $200k Profit on my house if i wanted to sell.Thats in 2 years!A car is the wrong choice.If you are not going to use the R like it was intended,(to race)I feel you got PORKED
Now where did you get the idea I park my cars and "look" at them???????? I bought my cars to enjoy, not as a trophy. I can get you plenty of people that will vouch for the fact that my cars are track cars, as well as street driven. I wouldn't be so quick to judge people before you know who or what they are.
I congradulate you on your paper wealth associated with house, not sure what that has to do with Cobra R's vs 03 Cobra's.
I agree if all a person wants is a daily/weekend driver to take to the drag strip, the 03 is the better choice, but no 00R owner that I know of is looking for that, if they are they probly own something else for that purpose.

Here are a couple pics of my cars when they are not being admired in the garage. (notice no garage in background)

Last edited by bggroth; 02-17-2003 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-17-2003 | 06:16 PM
And here:

Old 02-17-2003 | 06:27 PM
Yeah Baby...Looking at the Cobra R on the track, gave me a woody

Old 02-17-2003 | 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Fast Gator
Yeah Baby...Looking at the Cobra R on the track, gave me a woody

Here are a couple poor quality video's" (careful, Gator )

http://bggroth.hypermart.net/Mvc-004v.mpg

http://bggroth.hypermart.net/Mvc-001v.mpg

Old 02-17-2003 | 07:09 PM
I would take an 00 CobraR anyday of the week over an 03 Cobra. It has the looks. The handling and it performs straight line and top speed. Oh no it doesn't have a radio. When I am in my truck 75% of the time the radio is off and I am listen to the sweet sound of the exhaust and listen for detonation. If they put a radio in it, it would probably suck like the Lightning radio anyways so who cares. If I had the money I would be driving a CobraR. That is a fact! -Mat-

Quick Reply: People who bought cobra R got porked