Lightning

Custom Kickpanel speaker enclosures?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2003 | 11:55 PM
|
Custom Kickpanel speaker enclosures?

Has anyone decided that 150$ for a set of Q-Logic kick panel's is pretty expensive, and made their own? Im sure its worth it, for the sound imaging, but I REALLY would like to add more speakers to my truck, just don't have the money for those right now. If I cut holes in my stock ones, and made spacers, would that work? Has anyone fab'd something up with the stockers? Just wondering...

-Mike

Old 02-16-2003 | 12:26 AM
Cut holes in the stock what..Door speaker mounts..I would say you could enlarge them somewhat. Just better speakers is such a difference. I like the components appproach. Tweeters in the door or dash..and mid\basses in the door.
I mounted my tweeters in the basketweave at the front ..in front of the door handle. Have you considered cutting into the floor..
installing speakers and fabbing up boxes that extend in and or thru the floor..putting mesh or some other barrier over them..

Old 02-16-2003 | 12:27 AM
You'd be better off to just put a pair or components in the doors, I have kicker resolutions in mine, they sound great and will blow you out of the truck. Highs are perfectly clear in the doors, I wasn't willing to cut a hole anywhere visible to mount the tweeters....Ed

Old 02-16-2003 | 12:30 AM
|
This is the setup I currently have... Set of components in the door's w/ tweeter mounted in front of handle. I would like to add another set of components into the kick panels... see'n if anyone has modd'd the stock kick panels to do this...

Theres my tweeters...

-Mike

Old 02-16-2003 | 01:13 AM
I guess the stock kick panels could be modded...maybe surface mounts or cuts some pvc at an angle and glue mold to the stock kick panel...paint ...custom ..Mannnnnnnn

Old 02-16-2003 | 01:15 AM
I installed Infinity Kappa components..I have been considering adding more..somewhere...I stuck 5x7's in the rear corners..and run crossover to cut the highs.

Old 02-16-2003 | 01:25 AM
kick panels are exspensive but worth it. has more imaging and doesnt rattle anything in your truck. if you do get kick panels get rid of any other mid/highs you have. kick panels are made and best to shine by themselves in the front. maybe some mids or compnents in the rear with a lower volume level. those that do have kick panels know what I'm talking about. the sound quality and imaging is un-matchable by any other approach

Old 02-16-2003 | 09:19 AM
I have the Q-Logic kick panels in my footwells.I dont know all that much about that stuff but I really like mine.

Old 02-16-2003 | 09:41 AM

AWESOME LOOKING DOOR PANELS
MAN I LIKE THAT
GREAT JOB MECCA

Old 02-16-2003 | 10:24 AM
Talking some people will stop at nothing!!

Originally posted by Rob_02Lightning

AWESOME LOOKING DOOR PANELS
MAN I LIKE THAT
GREAT JOB MECCA
Awe quit sucking up to Mecca, he's not going to tell his A/F numbers or timing!!!j/k

Old 02-16-2003 | 11:17 AM
You could allways do something like Midsouth Bolt did

Old 07-06-2006 | 01:56 PM
Well to tell you the truth kicker panel mounts are good just because of the angle they allow the speakers to sit at. But there are lots of different kinds of applications you can do. This is what i did to my doors. They have kicker 6x8's currently and i had a pair of sony 5.25's that i just dropped using the storage space. I think that area is perfect for 5.25 applications. I am about to replace those with kickers too.

Old 07-06-2006 | 03:01 PM
I have been a fan of kick panel installs for years, but not in our trucks. I've tried it twice now in my 02 HD and now the 03 L and it never sounds right. The sound completely washes out with the windows down. You may achieve the best wave lengths, but the extreme distance works against it.

-Mark

Old 07-06-2006 | 10:21 PM
that's why you just send 'em more power! 100 watts rms to the front stage in my truck.

i was going to 'glass my own panels. i actually bought replacement ones to mold onto, but never got around to doing the glass work.

i found some q-forms on ebay in the right color for like $65, lined the back of them with three layers of peel n seal (like dynomat, but MUCH cheaper) and called it a day. i love them. the sound is not perfect, but definately better. now if i only had time to mount my 8's in my doors...

Old 07-06-2006 | 10:45 PM
I had to do some cutting, but I managed to squeeze 2 6.5's and 2 tweeters in each door. I still need to do a little custom grill work, as the opening doesn't allow for all 4 speakers to have an unobstructed stage, but I figured by doing it this way, I'd have to suck it up and do the custom grill work

Quick Reply: Custom Kickpanel speaker enclosures?