Lightning

It just came in!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003 | 08:28 PM
|
It just came in!!!

I just got a call from the dealer. My red 2003 L is in, and boy am I stoked.

Ever since I sold my silver 2001, I've been dying. Yes, I do like the look of the concept, and it's definitely going to be the bomb with power, but for me, the current gen is the perfect balance between seat of the pants, butt-blistering power and haul-a-load-of-plywood practicality.

Oh, crap. My dealer just called back.

I specifically asked the dealer NOT to drill the **** holes in the front bumper for the license plate bracket. My salesman just called to say the bracket was already there...upon arrival!!! Supposedly, the truck was diverted in transit to the dealership, so no stinkin' dealer should have touched it. There were only 5 miles on the truck, the seats still had the plastic, and the white plastic guard stuff was still on the truck.

Are the trucks getting drilled at the factory now? I seriously doubt it, and I am seriously bummed about this. Who knows, maybe they just saved me from a bunch of tickets. Oh, who am I kiddin'? I'm really suspicious about this!!!

Okay, I'm over it. Sort of....

Old 02-17-2003 | 08:33 PM
Awsome! Congrats man! And the best color to boot!!!!!

Old 02-17-2003 | 08:35 PM
PS, I got a $110 ticket for no front plate on my Camaro so this is not a bad thing It doesnt look to bad on the L's any way since they are so big.

Old 02-17-2003 | 08:35 PM
congratulations! yeah, I hate the holes in my bumper cover too...what can you do :o

Old 02-17-2003 | 09:01 PM
Hey man good luck with your new truck...........

PEacE.............

Old 02-17-2003 | 09:15 PM
I specifically told the salesman over the phone to not allow anyone to install the front plate bracket or drive the truck or no sale. He abided by my request but as stated in a previous post, there was a scuff in the front fascia and a new one awaits at the dealership. I've since wet sanded and polished the offending scuff to non existance. I may just put the front plate on once I get my new personalized plates. Received the registration with the new # but the plates have yet to arrive. I'll still have the unmolested replacement in the box.

FX

Old 02-17-2003 | 09:19 PM
Shazbot,

The holes are not drilled at the factory. When the trucks arrive the bumper covers have small indentions where the holes need to be drilled but the dealer should have asked you first. Refuse it, I would!

If a front tag is not required in your state and you don't want the holes there, raise hell.

Tim

Old 02-17-2003 | 09:36 PM
From: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
What cHiKeN-dUdE said.

A mere salesman tactic (read: LIE) in order to close the deal.

New painted virgin bumper or no dealio. Check the underside of the front facia for potential scratches courtesy of the transport monkey.

Bob

Old 02-17-2003 | 09:39 PM
I agree raise hell. When my Cobra arrived I went and stole the front license plate bracket out of the trunk before they could get their filthy hands on it.

Old 02-17-2003 | 09:44 PM
From his comment about them maybe saving him a lot of tickets I would assume by law he needs a front plate

Originally posted by Chikenears
Shazbot,
If a front tag is not required in your state and you don't want the holes there, raise hell.

Tim

Old 02-17-2003 | 10:07 PM
|
Yeah, you need a front license plate when yer deepinahearta Texas.

Thanks, y'all, for the good wishes. I am glad to be back amongst the Lightning crowd.

I've been doing some thinking... When I had my 2001 Silver L, I didn't have the front license plate. Every time I passed a cop, I got that ole heart flutter, just knowing I'd been caught. If it doesn't look like crap (i.e. crooked), then it may be worth it for just a little peace of mind. It can still chap my butt, though, that I didn't want it at first.

So, when's the next get together?

Old 02-17-2003 | 10:14 PM
just like Chikenears said. When I picked mine up the dealer came out and got me. He said he couldn't bring himself to drill holes in my truck and wanted to make sure I wanted the plate there. Living in Virginia it is required, but I still said no I couldn't bring myself to put holes there either so I still haven't put the plate on. I supposed someday I will, but probably not till I get pulled for it. But anyway, yeah the dealer lied to you.

Old 02-17-2003 | 10:24 PM
RIP THAT THING OFF ASAP!!
mine came that way as well and it really ticked me off... i did take it though since it was the last 2002 true blue available. fist thing i did was rip off the front cover, and it is awaiting an appointment at the body shop to have them filled in. what a crock of crap that i do have to do this.
and yes, it is law in ohio to have them... screw them.

Old 02-17-2003 | 10:45 PM
i live in texas and have no front plate. havent been pulled over yet and cops see me all the time.

Old 02-19-2003 | 06:06 PM
|
Okay, here's how it went...

I told 'em to suck eggs.

But it wasn't just because of the front license plate. Here's why:

The truck wasn't ready for delivery last night, but I just had to see it. Well, the valence had the scratch mod, as expected, but the whole front end looked like crap. The bumper was crooked, the grill was crooked, and the hood was crooked. In the last week, I've looked at over 12 Lightnings from three different dealers, and all but two or three had this problem. This one was, by far, the worst.

The dealership was willing to "make the truck right" by "touching up" the bumper and adjusting the front end. That was nice of them, but after talking to them, I got the feeling they would have delivered the truck just like that had I not said anything. They actually said, "Well, most of our customers wouldn't look under the bumper for scratches." Is this true?

Anyway, another dealer has a 2003 Red L coming in at the end of March, and I get the feeling this guy is used to working with overly-**** customers like me. I realize there is no guarantee that the next Lightning won't have the same build quality issues, but at least he won't surprised when I throw a fit.

Last edited by Shazbot; 02-19-2003 at 06:17 PM.