Lightning

I gotta question and I know you guys are sick of the launching plug threads...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I gotta question and I know you guys are sick of the launching plug threads...

I was just thinking..When i first bought my 99 two years ago within the first week of owning it I had a plug issue..Well one day i got ready to go to work, fired the truck up and it was skipping and misfiring really bad..It also sounded like an awful exhaust leak..Since I bought the truck used it still had 18K miles worth of warranty left on it...I got worried and thought that some jealous A$$hole at work might have put sugar in my tank..I called the dealer where I purchased my truck from and asked for my salesman..He was really helpful and told me to take it to the nearest dealer.. I was debating on towing my truck but didn't have hardly any money at the time(broke college kid)....Well i took a chance and drove it to the dealer which was like 6 miles away.. It drove horrible, barely would increase in speed and putted along the way...I asked the tech what the problems was and he told me a spark plug had broke in half ..Me not knowing at the time that that the spark plugs would become an issue, I just accepted it w/out further asking details...I'm wondering what really could have happened? Could I have spit a plug and they somehow helicoiled it or something? When I first fired the truck up I didn't hear a pop...Anyway I havent had that problem since but just wondering how could the guy have fixed it if it was a spit plug?? Any ideas fellas??

Thanks

Old 02-18-2003, 08:05 PM
Keep your receipt! He may have just installed a new plug. If the head threads were damaged(but still held....), it's going to let go again.

Dan

Old 02-18-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by LIGHTNINROD
Keep your receipt! He may have just installed a new plug. If the head threads were damaged(but still held....), it's going to let go again.

Dan
I've had my plugs changed twice since then..I'm going to the dealer to make sure they are still down tight...Hopefully they wouldn't charge me as much to change them to check em..

Old 02-18-2003, 08:28 PM
it is not uncommon to see a spark plug break in half. I have seen this happen many times in my line of work. Not really sure what the cause is, but I have seen it enough to know it does happen from time to time.

Old 02-18-2003, 08:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They crack when your not careful ( in a hurry) removing the plug socket, tighten the plug without the socket being fully seated on the plug

Old 02-18-2003, 09:17 PM
Yes they can crack if your not careful... Guess I have broken a few...

PEaCE..................

Old 02-18-2003, 09:25 PM
so do you think before i bought the truck the dealer could have overtightened the plugs causing it to crack?

Old 02-19-2003, 09:00 AM
Which reminds me to say--never use/install a plug that has been DROPPED! .........whew .

Dan

Old 02-19-2003, 10:39 AM
rayden: just curious how much the dealership charged for a plug swap? i was quoted upwards of 200 because they knew the lightnings were a b*tch.....

Old 02-19-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by cyntaxx
rayden: just curious how much the dealership charged for a plug swap? i was quoted upwards of 200 because they knew the lightnings were a b*tch.....
Sorry to say but thats about right Cyntaxx

I even brought my own TR5s and they still charged me like 220 bucks..The funny thing is some people say it takes about 1 1/2 to 2 hours to do..It only took the teck like 40 minutes to do

Quick Reply: I gotta question and I know you guys are sick of the launching plug threads...