Lightning

sniff, sniff... I think I smell b.s.!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003 | 01:59 PM
|
Pulleys for sale on ebay... thoughts?

I found this today on ebay, never have seen these for sale. Has ANYONE ever had one of these go bad, that this would be useful?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6770

Last edited by jeffsavage; 02-20-2003 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-19-2003 | 02:03 PM
They are crack.

Old 02-19-2003 | 02:07 PM
Mine never went "bad" but I did remove them to clean and repack the bearings and they sure as hell did spin a whole lot easier with a lot less effort.

--Joe

Old 02-19-2003 | 02:24 PM
Banned
Plus.......
"If you have 5,000 or more miles on your F-150 Lightning or Harley Davidson FORD F-150 there is a good chance that the "Idler Pulley Bearings" have started to or already have gone bad."

Thats what the warranty is for anyways....well if we even have a warranty that is...........

Old 02-19-2003 | 02:26 PM
Same Vendor as this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2402865750
Thats the PCV Oil Sucking Problem Fix,
he's also a member here, he'll chime in.

I'll tell you one thing, I ordered my PCV set up,
and got it THE NEXT DAY.
Looks good, and so far it's working.

We do have a problem with the stock idler pulleys,
maybe these are better ???

OK MYSTERY VENDOR, DO I GET A FREE SET NOW TO TRY

Old 02-19-2003 | 02:28 PM
I purchased a set of these and they work great! If their products are no good, why do they have all positive feedbacks and no negatives?

Old 02-19-2003 | 02:36 PM
i ordered my boost bypass kit from him.... he makes good stuff, for cheap prices, i would compare his products to JDM but cheaper!

he's a good seller..... i've got no complaints.

Old 02-19-2003 | 02:49 PM
same here, I got a boost bypass kit and line mod valve from him, both were excellent quality at a great price. he's def a good seller

Old 02-19-2003 | 03:00 PM
I just bought 4 of those pulleys and I am very happy with them
plus they look very nice all polished up. I have bought several
products from this guy. He makes top notch stuff. Right now he
is working on a electric fan that will be very very competive in
price. That is why you are seeing him selling the cobraR water
pump on ebay. This guy is no joke...

Old 02-19-2003 | 03:08 PM
I can speak for the bearings starting to need maintenance...mine were begining to whine, and I am having them repacked when they have my engine out.

I've been thinking of getting them because their polished...oooo.

Dan

Old 02-19-2003 | 03:22 PM
Mine are a little noisy at times. How would you repack them? It is a sealed bearing correct?

Old 02-19-2003 | 03:32 PM
Originally posted by HIHOAG
Mine are a little noisy at times. How would you repack them? It is a sealed bearing correct?
Just remove the pulley's. Pop off the rubber seal, clean the bearings with a cleaner (brake parts cleaner) and then repack them with a high temp grease. Replace the rubber seal and reinstall them.

--Joe

Old 02-19-2003 | 03:50 PM
Soap,
Thanks, sound like a good little job for a Weds night.

Old 02-19-2003 | 04:02 PM
Actually those idlers go bad quite often. I changed many of them on trucks back when I worked at the dealer. But I think if you repack yours with a good grease (like Soap said) when yours are still good, you'll add quite a bit of life to them.

Old 02-19-2003 | 04:14 PM
Chime in might be an understatement…right now.

First of all I would like to thank those of you that have defended me for my reputation seems to be in question by those who do not know me nor have they ever purchased any of my products.

I want to clearly state that this isn’t a ploy by which to sell, promote, advertise or link to any item that I may have for sale.

I am responding to this post and following threads only to uphold and defend myself and to “Set the record straight”.

sniff, sniff... I think I smell b.s.!

I found this today on ebay, never have seen these for sale. Has ANYONE ever had one of these go bad, that this would be useful?

I refuse to comment with any slanderous remarks to the above post’s title as it would be childish to come back with a comment such as; “Gee is that your’ underarm you are smelling?” but the thought did occur.

They are crack.

Now if I was the coy type, which I am not, I might reply to this gentleman’s post with a smart alec answer such as; “Now isn’t this an intelligent post?”

However I would rather respond to the following post by asking this gentleman; Do you really think that Ford will honor your warrantee with the mods you have listed in your’ signature? I have read many times on this board as well as on others where Ford is disallowing warrantee work to be done with only the slight hint of vehicle mods having been installed.

Plus....... "If you have 5,000 or more miles on your F-150 Lightning or Harley Davidson FORD F-150 there is a good chance that the "Idler Pulley Bearings" have started to or already have gone bad." That’s what the warranty is for anyways....well if we even have a warranty that is...........

I initially came up with the idea for the polished idler pulleys not only for my vehicle to look better appearance wise under the hood but with only 6000 + miles my top two idler pulleys sounded like a jet plane taking off….WHINE….

I thought what should I do, go to my local SVT dealer…I think not, especially after the last go round where they kept my truck for two full days to replaced three of the factory spark plugs. This was at less than 3K miles…good plugs???

I think NOT! And that was before I installed any major mods to my “L”.

So I went to my local AutoZone and Napa stores and the replacement bearings are:

1) Made in Taiwan (both the NAPA and the Federal Mogul brands) they are not readily available from AutoZone (as in NO listing) and I already had the crossover part numbers (this is not an easy task either).

2) The cost for the bearings was right at $12. each from NAPA and $6 or was it $7. from AutoZone.

Note: This doesn’t include the installation either as the bearings are a pressed fit into the pulleys.

The reason my stock Ford OEM bearings failed is that they are a good bearing (made in Canada) but the manufacturer forgot to put any grease in them to amount to anything and what grease they did is of poor quality.

Isn’t anything made in the US any more, thank you NAFTA and GATT?

Now what I do is purchase these new idler pulleys from Ford have them shipped to my shop, press the bearings out, remove the shields on both sides, completely wash the bearing, dry it and repack the bearing with a pressurized bearing cone using “MOBIL 1” red synthetic grease (you know the same grease that Uncle Sam uses in his submarines bearings) then I replace the shields, polish the entire outside of the pulley for looks, takes three steps to accomplish this polishing, wash the pulley and coat it with an anti-rust material and press the bearing back into the pulley.

Someone said it was just paint and all I was doing was removing the paint…God, I only wish this was true.

The pulleys are so labor intensive that I will not be doing them much longer as my time is far more valuable and spending it so that your “L” can look better and be more problem free is becoming a thankless job.

Last edited by talan66; 02-19-2003 at 04:20 PM.

Quick Reply: sniff, sniff... I think I smell b.s.!