Lightning

This board has become a joke

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2003 | 08:54 AM
I've been on here for quite a while and the board really hasn't changed much. Actually, it's just like any other board or local hangout. Your going to have disagreement's, get some thicker skin. I remember the days when we were battling out whether ice in the intercooler reservoir worked, which air filter was best, etc. The guys on here complaining will come and go.... You just can't make these boards your life, hit them when you get a spare five minutes...read what interests you and get back to your life and your truck...

Let's all just enjoy our vehicles and hit the track. Heck, once the track opens the posts will read.... Ran an 11.x tonight at xxxx. A lot of us are in hibernation and going through withdrawal.

Old 02-22-2003 | 09:05 AM
Spike,

I totally agree.

Some of the problems that this site has will never be fixed because people are unwilling to post in the correct section.

How many things on the first page on any given day are actually Lightning related? I would say maybe 1/2?? Then you have the guys that post blatently that it is O/T. WTF is up with that. If it is O/T then post it elsewhere.

Then you have the children here. Grown men that sit behind a computer screen and have an alter ego or agenda to bash someone they dont know because that person doesnt agree with them on a certain topic, while maintaining that they are best freinds to people that do agree with them. I could name a few of them, but I really dont care enough about them to make them anymore famous than they think they already are, I'll just ROTFALMAO at them.

Then you have the problem of predisposed notions about how someone really is, and those predisposed notions come from a customer talking to a vendor and that vendor tells lies about someone that the customer only knows online and has never met in person. How many times have you met someone after hearing about them and realized that whatever was told to you was a complete lie?

Why do vendors do this? Its to keep their ego in tact. "How dare someone else make a new product or go faster than me?"

My advice is this; Be the same person online that you are in real life, respect the people that you meet everyday and they will respect you back, we each have ideas and opinions and that is what this country is all about, our idividuality, and when you start to get mad at someone for their opinion or thoughts, just remember that 17 year old girl and her family as she fights to stay alive all because of another human beings mistake. We should feel truly blessed to be able to come here and discuss our differences, maybe some of you could try to do it without the personal jabs ???

Old 02-22-2003 | 09:15 AM
Originally posted by camcojb
What's different about this board versus the other dozen or so I'm involved with is that on the others I participate in this bashing stuff isn't allowed. They have admins and moderators that shut down the garbage immediately. You'll still get the occasional troll who tries to stir things up. And not real often, even a contributing member can't abide by the rules and is locked off the site. So what you're left with is a bunch of guys who try to contribute, others who need help learning what to do, and an enormous amount of information to help everyone. Makes you look forward to pulling up the site daily.

Jody

HEH HEH HEH ... 11 freaking posts and he NAILS it. So much
for NEWBIES not knowing or seeing what's going on!!!

Guys and gals, we get exactly what we will put up with. If the
majority wanted stricter enforcement, and wouldn't bellyache
everytime one of their posts was deleted or moved, then Doug
and Steve would be able to enforce the rules we all seem to want.

What I see is that it's OK to "ding" everyone else, just don't
mess with my posts. This place can be a wealth of information,
and IS, because we all have such a diverse knowledgebase.

Maybe it's time for us all to backup Steve and Doug and have them do a better job of enforcing the rules around here.

Also, as I have mentioned before, if the vendors want to
announce new products, maybe each should have their own
section like other boards do (NLOC, SVTLIGHTNINGS, etc.)
and that would help keep some seperation and flaming outta
the main areas ...

None of this is flaming, incidently, just my .02 and a try to help
us all get to where we want to be.

Cliff

PS... If we all remembered one thing, it would be nice to just
imagine what the other person is going through and not just
flame away every chance you get.

Old 02-22-2003 | 09:47 AM
Well I am completely SCREWED

The last post by Grey03 is far to intelligent and mature for him to be who I thought he was... Damnit....

The plus side is Grey - You make some GREAT points. BUT you are over shadowed by SVT_KY a moment later.

SVT_KY and I have had a NUMBER of disagreements. But he has HIT this one on the head. Out of the park, thru the uprights, fill in cliche here....

Steve and I are making changes in the background to start improving things here. AND in my mind they are starting to come around.

BUT if you guys are really as concerned about this as you say then a little support goes a long way. Lately ANY move we make creates a HUGE negative backlash. So human nature says don't do anything next time. So next time we sit back and watch, the BS gets thicker and then you bitch cause we don't do anything...

Think of this place as like your neighborhood. If you see trash in your neighborhood do you pick it up ? Or is the trash in the alley behind your neighbors house, your neighbors problem ? Or do you stop and throw it in the can for him cause it looks better. Or even worse are you the one who is throwing the trash out the window of his Lightning cause he doesn't want to trash the inside of his truck..

Are you helping or are you adding to the problem ?

One way to help is use this link "Report this post to a moderator" at the bottom of the post that you have a problem with. The link sends us an email with a link to the post you reported. Please add a sentence or 2 of WHY you had a problem with it to save us the time of reading the whole thing and guessing what the issue is. We will take a look and if necessary take action.

Getting down from soap box...

Doug

Last edited by Silver_2000; 02-22-2003 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-22-2003 | 10:23 AM
Originally posted by litnfast
When I was just a little boy growing up in Georgia. My buddies and I would play in the dirt with our trucks and tractors. Some days we got along great and didn't argue. Other days we fought and buried each others trucks in the dirt. Occasionally one of us would get up...stomp our feet...pick up our trucks...and go home!!! Some things never change! To those whom are leaving all I can say is

Old 02-22-2003 | 10:28 AM
SVT_KY - the only thing I would add to that is bring back the search police. There are way to many posts that have been answered many times over.

Originally posted by Brian Baskin
...It has turned into a chat room in many ways. Way too many off-topic posts, by people who've been here for long enough to know better. Way too many one-liner posts that do nothing but stir the pot, and way too much post whoring ...
Brian - the only problem with that is that 95% of it is done in the Lightning forum and not the General Discussion forum.

Old 02-22-2003 | 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Silver_2000_!
Well I am completely SCREWED

The last post by Grey03 is far to intelligent and mature for him to be who I thought he was... Damnit....

The plus side is Grey - You make some GREAT points. BUT you are over shadowed by SVT_KY a moment later.

SVT_KY and I have had a NUMBER of disagreements. But he has HIT this one on the head. Out of the park, thru the uprights, fill in cliche here....
Doug
HEH HEH HEH ... thanks Doug, but I didn't do it. The FNG Jody
hit that homer all by himself ... I just embelished a bit ... Whups,
should I worry about Patent and Trademark infringement ???
Nah, Jody seems like a level headed kinda guy ...

Peace Bro ...

Old 02-22-2003 | 10:42 AM
Originally posted by captainoblivious
SVT_KY - the only thing I would add to that is bring back the search police. There are way to many posts that have been answered many times over.

HEH HEH HEH ... AYUP !!!

Old 02-22-2003 | 10:51 AM
SVT_KY - thats great!

Old 02-22-2003 | 11:33 AM
SVT_KY,

LOL!!!!!! No trademark infringement problems here! That's also another good idea as posted by someone above; having separate sections for suspension, chips/electronics, troubleshooting, tires and wheels, etc. I agree with the search feature as I know how irritating it can be when you've seen the same question posted 100 times; you know a quick search would have answered their question, and many of the long time board members get tired of answering the same question over and over.

The other advantage of different sections is that you can skip over the areas that don't interest you. And a b.s. section is a very good idea

Definitely one of the most popular sections on the boards I visit.

Jody

Last edited by camcojb; 02-22-2003 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-22-2003 | 11:36 AM
Cool

Originally posted by camcojb
Being a newbie I know my opinion doesn't carry any weight with a lot of you guys, but I thought I'd throw this out anyway. I've got an 03 Lightning on order that will be here in five weeks. I was given the link to this site by a friend of mine who owns and loves his Lightning.

There is a ton of knowledge here and it's taking me a while to sift through and find the answers to my questions, but it's all here. There also appears to be a lot of guys here who are willing to help out others which is what makes car guys so great in my opinion.

What's different about this board versus the other dozen or so I'm involved with is that on the others I participate in this bashing stuff isn't allowed. They have admins and moderators that shut down the garbage immediately. You'll still get the occasional troll who tries to stir things up. And not real often, even a contributing member can't abide by the rules and is locked off the site. So what you're left with is a bunch of guys who try to contribute, others who need help learning what to do, and an enormous amount of information to help everyone. Makes you look forward to pulling up the site daily.

I've been involved in auto message boards for years and love to help with what my strong suits are. I am new to Lightnings so now I find myself in the opposite position I'm in on every other board; I'm the one trying to learn and needing help. This is by far the best Lightning board I've found as far as information goes. But it is tough to sift through the fighting back and forth to find the answers to my performance questions. This is not a bash on this site or any of it's members, don't know either very well at all. It's just an observation from a new member.

Jody
Welcome Jody!! Glad to see you made it over from the other sites.
It's a real small world. I think you're going to love your '03 Lightning. It's great to see people that are not hung up on brand bias.

You do great things with a first gen. Camaro!!!!! I can't wait to see your new TT SBC project in its development.

My '68 is kind of a long term project.

I'm going to be moving and am going to do alot of towing with my '01 Lightning in the next few weeks/ month or so. I have 11 vehicles to move. She has 38,000 troublefree miles on her, and is not afraid to haul 1000 lbs. of .250 wall steel, or tow vehicles. I'm going to take pics. of each one that I tow.

The wife gets to tow the first vehicle, her heavily modified Rock crawling 5500 lb. Explorer., on a 2000 lb. trailer.

Hell............I'm all excited about my latest mods being a set of '02 Expy. aluminum wheels and tires (for rain/snow/towing), and a new Tekonsha Prodigy trailer brake controller. LOL Sick Huh ????

Sorry for the rant.

Welcome to the board. Please post pics. when your new baby arrives.

Edit> Charley sent ya, didn't he? Another one with a Great car collection........and ya gotta love them dogs. Heehee
--------------
Rick
a.k.a. YenkoYS100

Last edited by '01ArrestMeRed; 02-22-2003 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-22-2003 | 11:44 AM
Thanks Rick!!! Although I'm much more familiar with Chevy's, I like all types of performance vehicles. These Lightnings are outstanding! I really look forward to getting the truck and getting it into the 12's. Not sure where I'll stop but that's the first goal.

Nice to see a familiar face!

Jody

Old 02-22-2003 | 12:03 PM
I have to agree Spike.
I don't even know why I pull this site up anymore.

I've learned a few things, but for the most part, I feel that it is only a popularity contest that for whatever reason, I'm not in the running for, nor do I care to be.

Old 02-22-2003 | 12:25 PM
Adding to the problem,

brady bunch fruit cakes!

Old 02-22-2003 | 12:25 PM
Originally posted by seattlesnake
I feel that it is only a popularity contest that for whatever reason

Hit the nail on the head, there is certainly some truth behind that.

Quick Reply: This board has become a joke