Lightning

Suspension,bump steer help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003 | 08:11 PM
|
Suspension,bump steer help?

Here's what I have done, Western Chassis 2 inch dropped arms with cut factory coils(3/4 of a coil for another 1 3/4 of inch) so that makes the front apprx. 3 3/4 lower. The rear is hangers and shackles. I have had bump steer from the get go,but I recently added a set of lowered Doestch shocks and it has gotten worse. The rear shocks did great and are fine. The fronts are good in town, but I have to travel down a farm to market road to get home. There are a lot of what I call stutter bumps closer to the edge of the road that drive me nuts. I love the look of the truck and it has a flat smooth feel on most roads, but what can I do to help ease the bump steer problem without raising the truck? I did a search and found some useful info but no cure or even a idea on what to do. Thanks and any help would be nice.
Thanks Mike

P.S. I may replace the front coils with Hotchkis or Eibachs, but I do not wish to spend the money if I can not ease some of the problem.

Old 03-05-2003 | 08:59 AM
bump.....the bump steer

Dan

Old 03-05-2003 | 09:11 AM
Check with Ruslow, he may have a kit to help you out. In a nutshell the tie rods need to be parallel to the control arms. Both need to travel on the same plane.

Old 03-05-2003 | 10:06 AM
I am a little confused about the issues you describe. Bump steer is where the front wheels point in a different direction as the front wheel travels over a bump.

You seem to be indicating that your problem is that the truck will not track properly over little bumps, which the shocks do not seem to be absorbing properly (or too much), which causes the truck to drift to the outside of the turn.

That is different from bump steer. Shocks have no impact on bump steer, which is a result of the relationship between the steering tie rods and the suspension pivot points.

Bump steer is cured by changing the tie rod mounting points or using spacers to raise the steering box up to restore the stock relationship between the a-arms and the steering.

No one makes a bump steer kit for the F150. Some have adapted Mustang bump steer kits, but it is apparently very tricky.

Old 03-05-2003 | 11:22 AM
Sounds more like a floaty suspension from soft shocks to me? I had that same problem on my Tbird with the stock suspension before I switched over to Tokico and Eibachs...

Old 03-05-2003 | 09:57 PM
|
Actually there is two problems, and I may not have explained it correctly. With the stock Bilsteins it was a softer ride than with the Doestchs because they are a short shock designed for a lowered ride. I also have bump steer where the steering wheel wants to move back and forth over bumps. It seems the stiffer shocks have magnified situation. I used the above mentioned bumps because they are what I encounter on my way home.. Would I not be correct in saying that is bump steer when the bumps cause the steering wheel to move back and forth? If it was just ride quality it may stutter but the wheel would not jerk,right? Please correct me if I'm wrong..

Old 03-06-2003 | 09:15 AM
Typically bump steer will not move your steering wheel. What happens is the toe in/out changes as the suspension compresses and extends. Both tires change together. Example, your suspensenion at full compression will cause the truck to toe in (tires point to the center of the truck). At full extension they toe out (point away from the truck). Since they move together the steering wheel should not noticibly move position. What will happen is the truck will track like crap. It will be all over the place. It will feel like you are moving the wheel back and forth very rapidly.

Old 03-06-2003 | 05:07 PM
Twinturbo Ranger you got any pics of the lowered truck. Sounds like a sweet looking ride.

Old 03-06-2003 | 07:01 PM
bump steer

on the money silver bolt!!!! ihave ared 99 ibought in september the suspension is stock as far as i know. if i am on a flat road i can let go of the wheel and it tracks fine. but if i am on a road that has seen alot of tractor trailors and the road has a peak or crown ican change lanes with out the stering wheel moving !!!! i have just learned to compensate for it when it happens and istay out of the middle and right lane on the exspresway i like the left lane any way! but the question of the day is how do we correct it!!!!

Old 03-06-2003 | 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Tim Skelton
No one makes a bump steer kit for the F150. Some have adapted Mustang bump steer kits, but it is apparently very tricky.
A bump steer kit is what the guy who has the engineering project needs to design.

Quick Reply: Suspension,bump steer help?