Lightning

swirl marks gone but smudges everywhere?? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003 | 11:07 PM
|
Angry swirl marks gone but smudges everywhere?? HELP!

I did the truck over the weekend with the Porter Cable buffer and a 3 step Meguiar's job which included Paint cleaner/swirl remover, polish, and caranuba wax.

After each layer i buffed out and proceeded to the next liquid. The porter cable made everything pretty easy but i went through the pads pretty easily (pads got caked with the stuff after a couple of minutes). I did the last layer (caranuba wax) by hand in the garage since it was going to rain outside and there wasn't room to operate the buffer.

The truck feels very smooth and the swirl marks are gone. however I see smudges everywhere. Anybody ever run into this problem? I waited until every layer dried before buffing it out and i've never seen this before. i've never done this 3-step process nor used the polisher but i followed your guys' directions and kept the buffer moving (to prevent burning the clearcoat etc.) i had the buffer on the slowest speed also...

i'm thinking its one of the liquids (cleaner/polish/wax) that i used that's causing this...

What can I do to get rid of this? It's pretty obvious...should i use that Meguiar's Detailer spray stuff? I don't want to make things worse...

(also, I switched pads after every layer and the smudges only seemed to show up on the final layer (wax)...

Thanks

Old 03-09-2003 | 11:12 PM
you tried to wipe it off?

Old 03-09-2003 | 11:13 PM
hey I use zymol carnuba cleaner/wax and it leaves greasy smudges and what I do is after I wipe all the wax off I follow with a damp towel and a dry towel preferably microfiber and that usually does it, maybe more than one pass. This damp towel helps to set the carnuba wax and it evens it out. Carnuba waxes are usually greasy. Just be sure to follow right up with dry towel after you wipe it with the damp one and dont let the water dry.

Old 03-09-2003 | 11:17 PM
|
thanks blk02 i didnt realize this wax was that greasy...and i didn't apply that much at all! i will try your method and be sure to dry everything up before i get water spots

latemodelracer2: yea i wiped it down but it just kept coming back! i think i was moving around the grease more than i was absorbing it...

i was use those baby diaper cloths they sell at autozone btw...

Old 03-09-2003 | 11:24 PM
This is one of those things white vehicles arent botherd that bad with.

Old 03-09-2003 | 11:39 PM
Originally posted by LatemodelRacer2
This is one of those things white vehicles arent botherd that bad with.
LMAO @ Racer2

cyntaxx,
Like Blk 02 is saying I don't think you did anything wrong.
With my Black L, each and everytime I put a hand coat of
Wax on there, I curse scream and yell, and insist I will never do it again TIL NEXT TIME, then the cursing starts again.
I end up with the same thing, I got to keep getting new bathroom towels and rubbing like I'm trying to get the paint off.

Now I drive through the car wash and
use Quik-Detailer Spray at home

Old 03-09-2003 | 11:47 PM
I think you need to get some McQuires (Sp) #34 final inspection spray detailer. I use it everytime after a wax or a wash it is the best stuff I ever used. I have had all black cars for many yrs it works great and you can use it in the sun.

It will take care of the smudges and any powderey dust left from waxing. I dont care for those fine towels just get some good bath towels they work the best or a roll of cheese cloth.

If you have access to a body shop supply place you can get a gallon of #34 for like 18 bucks if not pep boys will jam you like 9 bucks for 16oz
P.S I dont use wax I use polish either Zymol or Nufinish liquid
works great to me
Good Luck
Slick

Old 03-10-2003 | 12:43 AM
|
i'm going to use some meguiar's quik detailer mist and wipe tomorrow...

i'm glad i didnt do anything wrong this time...it was enough of a headache getting the swirl marks out from my last *mistake* (headache and 200 dollars worth of merchandise )

Quick Reply: swirl marks gone but smudges everywhere?? HELP!