Lightning

What would happen if....?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003 | 11:03 AM
|
Question What would happen if....?

Just curious because someone asked me and I didnt know the answer, what would happen if someone chaanged their oil but didnt fill the filter with oil before finishing? Then started the car/truck? Would it not prime correctly? would it F' something up?

Old 03-10-2003 | 11:05 AM
It would fill up the filter almost instantly once the truck was started. It wouldnt harm it at all.

Old 03-10-2003 | 11:22 AM
Smile

You wouldn't be able to start the truck. If the oil filter level sending unit isn't satified the truck will move the ignition switch around so that you can't put the key in. That bastard moves pretty damned fast too. Repeated tries will cause the radio to turn on and play you a message which tells you the oil filter is empty. If you try to start with a remote starter or similar device the truck will undoubtedly detect whats happening and disconnect the positive battery cable from the battery automatically. It will not allow the cable to be reconnected until the oil filter is filled.

Old 03-10-2003 | 11:30 AM
Smile

Your question reminded me of a question I have.

How does the gas pump know when to stop pumping?

I've alway been amazed when the gas pump just stops pumping and my gas tank is full. I wonder how it knows. Someone once told me that there is a little eye on the end of the nozzle and when it sees the gas coming towards it really fast that it yells back to its friend who is inside the pump and thats how it stops. Now this makes perfect sense but I've never heard the little eye yell. But its right every time. Can anyone help me with this one?

Old 03-10-2003 | 11:40 AM
Banned
Hehehe, If i got gas in my eyes that much i wouldnt be able to see very good.

Old 03-10-2003 | 11:43 AM
|
Well I figured it would fill the filter, I was wondering if it harmed anything though. If its not needed then why does everyone put oil in the filter first?

I have been told the gas pump turns off because of the nozzle. The tip of the pump nozzle turns off the pump when either pressure from the tank or actual fuel causes resistance against the out bound flow of the pump. Its like a sensor in a way I guess

Old 03-10-2003 | 11:46 AM
Banned
I never pre-fill my filter, just 6 quarts of oil into the engine.

Old 03-10-2003 | 11:47 AM
In some cars you can't fill the filter because it's almost completely sideways on the block. It won't hurt anything.

Old 03-10-2003 | 11:51 AM
Smile

Originally posted by Konig
I have been told the gas pump turns off because of the nozzle. The tip of the pump nozzle turns off the pump when either pressure from the tank or actual fuel causes resistance against the out bound flow of the pump. Its like a sensor in a way I guess
Well what about the little eye and his friend?

Old 03-10-2003 | 11:52 AM
|
yeah thats the problem with my last truck. It was 4.6L xlt and the filter was mounted at an angle. It was hard to get at if the wheels were not turned as well. I like how the Lightning's is very easily changed. It takes about 5 mins off the time it takes me to change it all out.

I dont think the "eye" is real..its just a pressure sensor instead. So dont worry, you dont have to worry about the pump losing its sight

Old 03-10-2003 | 01:44 PM
Re: What would happen if....?

Originally posted by Konig
Just curious because someone asked me and I didnt know the answer, what would happen if someone chaanged their oil but didnt fill the filter with oil before finishing? Then started the car/truck? Would it not prime correctly? would it F' something up?
I work at an oil change and we don't fill filter's with oil unless there huge diesel motors.... All cars will start after you drop the filter, drain the oil in the pan, and then plug it back up, and spin a new filter on. Depending on the size filter, it will fill up with enough oil in seconds...

Old 03-10-2003 | 02:21 PM
Re: Re: What would happen if....?

Originally posted by ShaneMcKenna203
I work at an oil change and we don't fill filter's with oil unless there huge diesel motors.... All cars will start after you drop the filter, drain the oil in the pan, and then plug it back up, and spin a new filter on. Depending on the size filter, it will fill up with enough oil in seconds...
exactly, when Konig said fill the filter, i was thinking who the "F" does that??? i just drain the oil from the pan and then remove filter to drain, then put the plug back in and put the new filter on, then i fill with 6qts or 5qts (depending on what im changing) then i start up the engine and check the dipstick and check for leaks under the car.......

so bottomline im pretty sure that once you start the engine the oil goes through and automatically fills up the filter instantly....

Old 03-10-2003 | 03:08 PM
LMAO

Wendy, have my children?

Old 03-10-2003 | 04:27 PM
|
hmmm... I thought it was a common practice to fill the filter with oil before screwing it on. Guess I will skip that step from now on, I have always disliked doing that part anyhow. That damn filter will hold almost a quart of oil if you patiently fill it all the way. I have always dumped a 1/4 quart into it and figured as long as there is something in there it will be fine. I wonder where I learned that from? I dont remember if I read it some where or if someone told me to do it that way....whatever, thanks for the info

Old 03-10-2003 | 04:35 PM
I know lots of people that pre-fill the filter before installing, including me. On some engines, not doing so will cause lifter or valve noise until the filter fills up. Engine wear adds up over time. Even with an engine that has a filter mounted sideways, a little oil can be poured inside so that the filter media is not completely dry at startup. In fact, my daily beater Cavalier will chatter a little if i don't put any oil in the filter after a change.

Quick Reply: What would happen if....?