Lightning

changed my oil and spilled some ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 12:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
changed my oil and spilled some ??

I was changing my oil tonight and accidentlly spilt some near the filler and got some on the motor. and also i came up a little short. i think these trucks like 7qts instead of 6. After i started it seems to be idling louder. almost like a lose vacuum line, but i checked it and the are fine? its only at idle making that well known diesaly sound. any ideas if i spilt the oil on something im not suppose to? i whiped as much of it as i can up.

oh yeah. how much does our stock trans pan hold? i moved and my manual is packed up somewhere.

Old 03-11-2003, 12:32 AM
Best check the dipstick when cold and on even ground. Half way between the full and add oil is good. Around 6 quarts I believe.
I doubt you spilled any on anything that could cause a prob, unless you poured it all over the electrics

Old 03-11-2003, 12:45 AM
hrmm..then i dont know...wasn't doing it before.I'm a little bit below the halfway mark.

Old 03-11-2003, 01:06 AM
what would be funny is if i somehow blown a head gasket on startup and the burning oil smell from Spilling it on my motor was really a head gasket AHAHAHAHA!!

wait..not funny

Old 03-11-2003, 09:35 AM
The factory fill is 6 qts of motor oil but some guys put in only 5.5 qts. to reduce the unwanted oil in the intake. You are fine as long as the oil level is above the 'add' or 'min' mark. Good advice and the only way to get an accurate reading; "check when cold(I wait until morning/overnight) and on level ground".

Dan

Quick Reply: changed my oil and spilled some ??