Lightning

10's are possible with the stock blower, no nitrous!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003 | 05:00 PM
Cam Soundclip

Jim, here is the video I took last Saturday. Doug from Talon edited it to combine 2 of the clips and compressed the file size. I'm hosting it on from my website (plenty bandwidth) I'll leave it on for folks to download for a while...

JDM Heads and cams soundclip (1.1 meg)

awesome news regarding the shortblocks !

Edited (added pics):

Last edited by Skorost; 03-11-2003 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-11-2003 | 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Jim@JDM
The inserts are made by Heli-Coil. They give you a special tap with them. You just tap each hole and insert the Heli-Coils.

Jim@JDM
So is this possible to do on the heads prior to the new '03 design? If so, that alone could alleviate my concerns of spitting plugs...

Old 03-11-2003 | 05:24 PM
Jim,
I might be interested in trying your new race program. Sounds like you have it down! I build my own engines but looks like my finished product is very similar to your built motor. I used the new Crower 62802 cam. Think your race program will work for my truck?

Old 03-11-2003 | 05:37 PM
Jim,
Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You said you would get 10s on our blower and no juice and I think you are going to prove it soon.

VINNIE

Old 03-11-2003 | 06:27 PM
Jim,
I work for Heli-Coil (Rep) and have installed our inserts into the heads. I can't come close to achieving 10 threads of engagement. If I remember correctly we were only able to pick up an additional 2 threads. However the result as you know is a much stronger hole. In the applications engineering lab we were able to break the plugs off with no damage to the threads. Glad to hear you are using wire inserts and not solid inserts.

Old 03-11-2003 | 06:31 PM
heat?

would a 10 sec Eaton-driven motor be streetable?
It seems that you'd have to drive some serious PSI into the motor. At those pressure levels wouldnt the stock motor be producing insane amounts of heat? I thought one of the advantages of an aftermarket blower was greater thermal efficiency. I cant imagine driving a massively overspun eaton around town in the texas heat.

Old 03-11-2003 | 06:42 PM
Jim would you or Silver bolt, please share the part #'s of that heli-coil set or tell us where we can get it? I have my truck down right now for rebuild and would love to do the plug thread up grade while I have it down.

Peace, Suavy

Old 03-11-2003 | 07:10 PM
Jim and all of the hard workers at JDM,
Sounds like you are right on track with your engine building program.
News like this is the kind you enjoy reading.
Who ever whould have thought a year or two back that 10's on the stock Eaton blower without nitrous could be possible.
That is flying, great job.
What I really can't wait for is to see the beginning of your 4-valve line this weekend.
It has been a long time coming and I am starting to get pumped about it. As I have always said, I am sure it is going to be worth the wait.....
Again great job and I will see you on Saturday.
Bill

Old 03-11-2003 | 07:12 PM
NOW THIS IS WHAT THIS PLACE IS ALL ABOUT

A bunch of grown men getting wood
from the talk and thought of all this HP.

My Hat's off to you Jim and JDM
TWO THUMBS UP

Now just to be me,
"YOU KNOW I must always go against the grain."
Since we all can agree 02 seems to be the "bad year" if we can use that word, because it SEEMS TO HAVE the weakest Rod's and the spitting plugs.
I will donate my 02 to Science, I will go against the odds, and run the living schitt out of my motor and try my hardest to blew it up.
When I do, I too will have a beast of a Motor. Until then, I will run 6lbs of pulleys and race the crap out if it, I will run 4lbs of pulley with Nitrous, and if I don't get in the 11's by then, I will then run 6lbs of Pulley with the juice and if i have to, I'll even up the timing.

I will look foward to the 11's AND POSSIBALY A NEW MOTOR
But either way, this is the best post I've ever read.
IT GIVES HOPE

Old 03-11-2003 | 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Rob_02Lightning

Now just to be me,
"YOU KNOW I must always go against the grain."
Since we all can agree 02 seems to be the "bad year" if we can use that word, because it SEEMS TO HAVE the weakest Rod's and the spitting plugs.
I will donate my 02 to Science, I will go against the odds, and run the living schitt out of my motor and try my hardest to blew it up.
When I do, I too will have a beast of a Motor. Until then, I will run 6lbs of pulleys and race the crap out if it, I will run 4lbs of pulley with Nitrous, and if I don't get in the 11's by then, I will then run 6lbs of Pulley with the juice and if i have to, I'll even up the timing.

I will look foward to the 11's AND POSSIBALY A NEW MOTOR
But either way, this is the best post I've ever read.
IT GIVES HOPE [/B]
Rob is my hero.

-Mike

Old 03-11-2003 | 07:30 PM
Sound's like your on the right track Jim, keep up the good work.

Cuz

Old 03-11-2003 | 07:36 PM
Way to go Jim!!!

Glad to hear your engine program is comming along!!!

I'd like to thank you and the guys for all your info on motor options that my father and I have discussed with you over the past month. Ford is going to take care of the "issue" we had, so i'm wondering by putting a crate motor in the truck, what are the chances of the motor comming off the same production line as the ones for the 03 trucks????

We both still have plans to do the motor swaps on our trucks. As long as we make it through the season, i plan on doing it in the fall. I'm giving up going to Italy for it!!!!

Thanks again!!!!

Hey Bill, I was up in your neck of the woods in the Scarborough area today. You have alot of nice straight-aways to do some testing on, just watch out for the moose!!!

Old 03-11-2003 | 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Rob_02Lightning
NOW THIS IS WHAT THIS PLACE IS ALL ABOUT

A bunch of grown men getting wood
Man if that is what this place is all about...I'm outa here!

Old 03-11-2003 | 07:57 PM
Wink Re: Way to go Jim!!!

Originally posted by tallimeca
Hey Bill, I was up in your neck of the woods in the Scarborough area today. You have alot of nice straight-aways to do some testing on, just watch out for the moose!!! [/B]
Yeah there are some pretty good places to test her, if you have seen some of my street videos that I have done, they are all with in 6 mile to my house. That way I can make a run for home and put her in the garage before the po-po track me down.
Bill

Old 03-11-2003 | 08:37 PM
Rest In Peace
From: anchorage, alaska, usa, north america, earth, solar system, milky way
Stock blower?

DAMN nice times!

I wonder if ford is prepping the block for the magical 500/500 that may be out in a couple of years?

How does the tranny look?

Quick Reply: 10's are possible with the stock blower, no nitrous!