Lightning

L on CA Speedway big oval

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003, 10:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: L on CA Speedway big oval

Originally posted by droptail
I did a 2 day HPDE at CA Speedway over the weekend. This was a 2.8 mile road coase including the front straight and turns 1 & 2 oval. I ran in the 1-2 class both days with 35 assorted sports cars, new and old Cobras, C5, 325, 944 T,Miata, etc. . . .

The brakes weren't up to the 130 mph + rt comming out of the oval, and the first day I had to drop out after 3-4 laps bcause ABS was pounding.

. . . I was the only L Sunday and carried the banner well. John was very helpful. Great damn time!!
Correction--you were NOT the only L on Sunday. I ran the 9:40 session, where I was the only L. You must have gotten there late. I could only run the first session, as I am in trial in San Diego right now (sent it to the jury yesterday, so I'm just chillin' my heels in the hotel right now). I just couldn't miss the event completely, so I got out there for the first run on Sunday. Tom, Editor at Large for 5.0 Mustang magazine, rode shotgun with me.

Bottom line: Probably the best 20 minutes of my life. 130+ going through the banked turn while blowing past "sports cars" was simply incredible. Most of the guys must have known about the L's power, because they moved right on over when I came up on them.

With the Brembos, I had no brake issues at all. In fact, I didn't even have to work the brakes hard because there was always someone in front of me holding me up transitioning from the fast parts to the slow parts.

The stock F1s, as usual, worked great. I have the mods in my sig, plus I just installed SoCal shock extender brackets the day before the event. Seemed to keep the QA1's in their middle range. I have a little push in my setup now, which worked great on the oval. The faster I got, the more I had to turn the steering wheel, so I always knew where the limits of the tires were.

The whole experience was surreal. I am counting the days until the next open track event. Anyone in SoCal just HAS to get out there and run the Cal Speedway track once. Awesome experience.

Old 03-12-2003, 11:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Dragtail/Tim,

Awesome outings guys!!! Congrats!!! I don't know if I missed an earlier post, but can you let a fledgling So Cal drag racer like me know when the next event like this would be coming up? I heard April 26th Bakersfield is a road course but no way it will be like what you just experienced.

Who knows, maybe you can convince me to try life at more than 1/4 mile at a time

douglashew@aol.com

Thanks and have fun!!!

(Oh Tim, the defendants are always guilty--fry em)

Old 03-12-2003, 11:07 AM
Man that sounds like a whole lot of fun!!

Old 03-12-2003, 04:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Big1Daddy
Hey Dragtail/Tim,

Awesome outings guys!!! Congrats!!! I don't know if I missed an earlier post, but can you let a fledgling So Cal drag racer like me know when the next event like this would be coming up? I heard April 26th Bakersfield is a road course but no way it will be like what you just experienced.

Who knows, maybe you can convince me to try life at more than 1/4 mile at a time

douglashew@aol.com

Thanks and have fun!!!

(Oh Tim, the defendants are always guilty--fry em)
Check the SoCal SVTOA Web site (sorry, I don't have the address handy).

We just got the verdict. I represented the defendant. $2.5 million sought, $916,000 award, so I guess we have to call that one a win. Would have liked to keep it below $700K, but $916K is better than $2.5M.

Old 03-12-2003, 05:10 PM
Thanks Tim, I got the SVTOA info last week when I picked up an '03 Cobra. I get one year free

Hope to meet you at some event.

(And when I said fry the defendant, I thought you were a juror at a criminal re-trial of OJ)

Old 03-15-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by Big1Daddy
Hey Dragtail/Tim,

Big1Daddy,

The sanctioning body holding the event was NASA. Check out their calendar here. They're back at CAS in July, not sure of the big track though. Other interesting places as well!
https://www.nasaproracing.com/norcal...03Calendar.htm

Old 03-15-2003, 11:48 PM
Awesome droptail,

That must have been an absolute Blast
You wore the Colors well My Brother

Old 03-16-2003, 12:14 AM
Thanks Rob. Being the only L the last 3 runs of Sunday, I just wanted to be respectable. I honestly was surprised at how well the L did against the sports cars in the tighter sections. Its got me hooked!

Old 03-16-2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Flying ****
So how many times did Alphadoggy drive off the track into the pits because his tires got hot?

Glad you had a good time. I hope you took lots of pictures. Not something you get to do often.

Were opening up Irwindales Oval race season on April 5th @ 4:30pm PST. Supposed to be televised. We got like 30 trucks going. 2 Laps on the oval and then parking in the center of the track.
The 2L's Sat. wasn't Alphadoggy.
Got some fair pics, a couple of short movies. Yes, a rare opportunity.

Tell me more about the Irwindale ride. Are you caravaning from the SVTOA gen. meet at Galpin? Guess its safe in the center?

Quick Reply: L on CA Speedway big oval