Lightning

Question after Factory Tech Valve body install...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2003 | 09:40 PM
|
Thanks for all the replies. I am getting my chip back tomorrow hopefully. I think after i put that in, my truck even with line pressure stock in the chip, will have a perfect shifts. The valve body alone brings the line pressure to what 6? If its not as firm as i'd like i can raise the line pressure slightly, and reduce the shift duration, or send the valve body out to Gregg and have him do something similar with the actual valve body. My mods, all i have is a pro M 80 mm mass air, 4# lower, and exhaust. Nothing really more than the pulley that puts power at the wheels.

Old 03-13-2003 | 12:22 AM
It sounds more or less normal to me. There is some variation between different trucks, how the engine performs and your tune. The shift at about half throttle is just the way I tune them, it's not as hard as the WOT shift on a graph, but it feels harder because you just notice it more, and I think converter lockup functions have a little effect on it, I really need to get a light tree installed and look into that some more, but I feel it too and I know what you're talking about. About 2 years ago I had a gauge made that lit an LED for each solenoid when it fired, so I could see what the tranny was doing, when it locked up etc... but I took it out and it's never been in the 02, maybe I'll get under the truck and put it back in. It just looked like hell, it sat on the floor, no pod or mounting of any kind, a little radio shack project box with a handfull of wires coming out of it.

G

Old 03-13-2003 | 02:45 AM
Re: Re: Re: Question after Factory Tech Valve body install...

Originally posted by Nasty Wendy
Don't be so quick and all inclusive with that assumption. I may tell Colorful stories at times but I don't lie. My truck with my mods listed in my sig will do more than just chirp em' in second....unless you mean chirp as in Chirpin' like a Flock of Huge assed Buzzards....but I don't think thats what you meant. The only time my truck would chirp em' in second was at the track. Now keep in mind 'No Problem Raceway' may be the best track in the Country and is usually superbly prepped so I wouldn't expect to completely lose traction on the 1-2 shift at that track. On the street I can get the truck to fishtail on the 1-2 shift. I think the answers to Shane's question lie in the head of Da Man.
And look what he said

Hehe just messing with ya Nasty Wendy. I didn't want to get into the whole definition of "what is a bark" and "what is a chirp" but I do know that when I first got my vbody in it took a bit to get the tires to scratch on a warm fall evening. Speeding Bob can attest to that. It chirped but it didn't kick sideways and step out like it does now with the mods I've done. Back then it was stock except for a filter kit.

But then again, doesn't Shane have a chip and 4#er? If so he should be laying a good amount of rubber considering his new mods. But like Gregg said, every truck reacts slightly different to the vbody so...

Old 03-13-2003 | 06:04 AM
Mr. Blue States ...

" Are you going to bark all day little doggy or are you going to bite " ...

thank you, thank you, thank you very much...

Oh yeah - and I have a VB on a brand new 03 that's the only mod I have nothing more (yet) and it 'does not' - I say again 'does not' bark/chirp second - just firmer shift -

however, I am more than concerned over this statement that a chip will eventually cause tranny failure... Gregg, can you comment on that please ...????

Last edited by sonichog; 03-13-2003 at 06:06 AM.
Old 03-13-2003 | 02:11 PM
I didn't say a chip will eventually cause a tranny failure, but raising line pressure with one will, this is a quote I wrote someone else, it's what I meant...

Raising line pressure with a chip causes damage to the pump, some people (tuners mostly) disagree with me on that, but it's a known problem. What happens is the pump normally outputs more volume than you need and the extra pressure is diverted through a dump off valve. On an engagement, depending on the load and RPMs the tranny will take some of this excess pressure to execute the shift. If you run elevated line pressure, when the tranny tries to use this pressure, it's not there, and so, for about 20-40 ms, the pump is starved for fluid. It's just a fraction of a second, and it doesn't hurt anything in one try, but over time the pump drive gear gets scored from lack of lube, and this creates ferrous contamination, which slowly eats the transmission. Most of the time it happens very slow and the gear gets scored, eventually the pump will fail, but it's possible that the conatamination can sieze a valve in the valve body or the shift can theoritically take precedence over the rear lube circuit, neither of which is a good thing. If the rear lube starves for any lenght of time it will sieze the output shaft.

Some people disagree with me on that, trust who you want, but mecahnically I'm right, just a matter of whether you think it's okay to occasionally starve the pump for oil for a few milliseconds...

G

Old 03-13-2003 | 02:58 PM
O.K. then

is it safe to assume that installing a chip with NO tranny tweaks and running just your VB will result in no problems ...

Old 03-13-2003 | 03:42 PM
I don't think you can ever say "no problems" in these trucks. I read a while back in this forum where someone turned up an onramp with a new 02 with 300 miles on it and the tranny failed. It's a crap shoot. I wish monster boxes were free

BD

Old 03-13-2003 | 05:27 PM
|
Re: O.K. then

Originally posted by sonichog
is it safe to assume that installing a chip with NO tranny tweaks and running just your VB will result in no problems ...
I'm not a tranny guy, but i also wouldn't say "NO problems" with just a chip for sure. But if all your doing is a chip, your trans should be ok if your line pressure is stock and shift points like you said weren't touched you SHOULD be ok.
I also wish our trucks came with Monster Boxes... Gregg you ever think about producing a Monster box for every L that's produced. Imagine that. What kind of trans' do you think will go in the new concept Lightning?

Old 03-13-2003 | 05:48 PM
I have my own theory on it, but I doubt I'm right in any respect.

Maybe it's just my truck but I can hear the torque reduction "fart" any anything around 3/4 throttle on the 1-2 shift. I don't hear this at less than that. Now I don't know exactly when and how the T-reduction works, but if indeed what I hear from my exhaust is true, could it stand to reason that the t-reduction is enough at WOT to make the shift feel just that little bit lighter, where at 1/2 if the TR is nonexistant, you'll feel the full torque of the 1/2 throttled engine in the shift?

Not sure if that could even be right, but no one really mentioned it so I thought I would.

Old 03-13-2003 | 08:04 PM
|
Originally posted by animal
I have my own theory on it, but I doubt I'm right in any respect.

Maybe it's just my truck but I can hear the torque reduction "fart" any anything around 3/4 throttle on the 1-2 shift. I don't hear this at less than that. Now I don't know exactly when and how the T-reduction works, but if indeed what I hear from my exhaust is true, could it stand to reason that the t-reduction is enough at WOT to make the shift feel just that little bit lighter, where at 1/2 if the TR is nonexistant, you'll feel the full torque of the 1/2 throttled engine in the shift?

Not sure if that could even be right, but no one really mentioned it so I thought I would.
that makes the most sence. Is it true the chip takes out the torque reduction/"fart". if thats true then i think thats what i'm expierancing. I did ride around with my chip for a while. So i am so used to it now that i had the chip, i cant go with out it. I got the chip back today, but havent left work yet. So ill throw it in tonight and let you know what happens. I just dont know what to ecpect out of the chip with line pressure stock. But i think it will make a little difference. thanks, Shane

Old 03-13-2003 | 08:13 PM
shane,
Let me know how it is. I have a JDM chip in mine. I think it would be interesting to compare the 2 trucks considering we have almost the same mods. Of course mine will be a little louder now. I got the Mac tonight.

Old 03-13-2003 | 08:56 PM
|
Originally posted by TheRipper
shane,
Let me know how it is. I have a JDM chip in mine. I think it would be interesting to compare the 2 trucks considering we have almost the same mods. Of course mine will be a little louder now. I got the Mac tonight.
Paul, you put your exhaust on tonight? I'd lvoe to hear it. I'd also like to compare exhaust's. I have jdm's cat back, Silver Bullet. I really love how it sounds. Your's pry will be a lot louder. Mine isn't crazy loud, but i really like it being there. It has a great idle, and when im on it, i really can hear it.

Theres a dirty pic of the exhaust under the truck. I put it on in January.

Here's a pic of the tips, i love those babies....

Old 03-14-2003 | 01:42 PM
|
I put the chip in last night and my first test drive out i chirped 3rd gear b4 first! I really love the tune on my chip. Even with the line pressure stock, it does bark 2nd just how i want it. And when im out of the throttle, i dont even know the valve body is there. I just wanted to thank everyone for there help, and Razor's Edge also for all there help.. Again, Gregg Great Product.
Thanks, Shane

Old 03-14-2003 | 03:31 PM
Shane,
I just had it put on today. I had the day off work so I just took it in to Midas. They only charged me $47 so I just had them do it. They welded on the tip so I don't think they will be going anywhere. I didn't know you had the silver bullet. I bet that sounds mean as hell. I like the way the Mac sounds. It's loud and has a nice deep rumble but no drone which is exactly what I wanted. Give me a call tonight or tomorrow and maybe we can hook up.

Later
Paul

Old 03-15-2003 | 04:23 AM
Originally posted by Cali L
I I wish monster boxes were free

BD

Well, it's not free, but NLOC and NHTOC are giving one away in a raffle for the March of Dimes. There's a forum about it over there.

http://www.nloc.info/forum/showthrea...threadid=39691

G

Quick Reply: Question after Factory Tech Valve body install...