Lightning

How much is Cobra R pump really worth?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 11:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much is Cobra R pump really worth?

I'm debating on putting in the Cobra water pump in with my e-fan, and I understand that it's lighter and supposed to free up some horsepower due to greater efficiency. However, in all the threads I searched on this topic, it seems to me that those claiming horsepower gains were installing the e-fan and pump together, so I have a feeling that the horsepower actually came from the installation of the fan and not so much the pump. Before I drop about $90 on a pump, is there ANY hard dyno data on the Cobra pump freeing up horsepower or is this just an assumption. Is there any hard data on noticeable temperature drops with the Cobra pump? I have read a post or two where some actually stated they lost horsepower, but I have seen no posts about gains on installation of just the pump. Can anybody shed any light on this for me? Thanks in advance for the info.

Old 03-13-2003, 11:36 AM
I say you go get that info for everyone. Get the truck dynoed now and then install the pump, only takes about 30 mins. Then dyno again.

It would be a great community service

--wes

Old 03-13-2003, 11:37 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The Cobra R water pump that I dynoed (after installing the electric fan by itself) was worth exactly -6.1 rwhp and -7.5 ft.-lbs. I'll be more than happy to sell you one for $70 after I dyno it one more time against the stock and electric water pump just to make sure that the above numbers weren't a fluke (even though the three pulls I did for the water pump were nearly identical).

Old 03-13-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Struck in AZ
The Cobra R water pump that I dynoed (after installing the electric fan by itself) was worth exactly -6.1 rwhp and -7.5 ft.-lbs. I'll be more than happy to sell you one for $70 after I dyno it one more time against the stock and electric water pump just to make sure that the above numbers weren't a fluke (even though the three pulls I did for the water pump were nearly identical).
Dan,

I really don't see how that is possible. You are doing nothing more than swapping a water pump. No increase in parasitic drag.....no pulley changes etc. Did you dyno it the same day?? If not then your claims of lost power are irrelevant. You can say the temps were similar etc etc etc but they were not exact. Hell I lost hp/tq when I dynoed my 5# lower versus my 4# lower........but it was on 2 different days. Did I honestly think my truck was making less power........hell no. I went back a few months later with no other mods and gained back 10hp 18tq.

I am sure you are aware that our motors are extremely dependant on temp/humidity/barometer.

Oh and FilthyMcNasty the pump can be bought from Ford for a lot cheaper........like 1/2 what you stated

--Joe

Old 03-13-2003, 12:28 PM
Retail on the pump is just over $100, and that is what you would pay at a dealer. You could pick one up on Fordpartsonline.com for right at $70, or pickup a slightly used pump like I did for $50. Not sure what kind of power if any it gave me, but I figured since I was going through the troubles of installing the electic fan/T-Stat and I had to drain the anti-freeze I might as well change the pump.

Old 03-13-2003, 12:33 PM
Cobra Pump

I would like to hear Sals input on this pump issue. ****

Old 03-13-2003, 12:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have to agree with soap on this one, but what the F do I know. A pump is a pump, unless it shiney

Old 03-13-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by zrwhat
Retail on the pump is just over $100, and that is what you would pay at a dealer. You could pick one up on Fordpartsonline.com for right at $70, or pickup a slightly used pump like I did for $50.
That's why I am glad to know people in the parts buisness. Cost is something like $47 if I remember correctly.

--Joe

Old 03-13-2003, 12:49 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Ahhh Joe, my good man...all very good questions. The run that I reference for the stock water pump and electric fan was done at 4:46 P.M. on April 19, 2002 with an air temp of 84.6 degrees and the Cobra R water pump was then installed and the truck was re-dynoed at 6:31 P.M. on April 19, 2002 with an air temp of 82.4 degrees. Figure the same day with roughly equal air temps makes the results a fair comparison (and the barometric pressure was only different by .01 in. Hg between the two runs).

And while it is true that you are merely swapping a water pump, there's no guarantee that you are not increasing or decreasing parasitic drag. The stock water pump and the Cobra R water pump have a significantly different impeller profile. The Cobra R water pump has been touted to flow more water, etc. In order to do this it has to do one of two things in my opinion - either flow more water by having a more efficient impeller design or flow more water with increased parasitic drag. Based on my results I'd have to say it's the latter... Nearly everyone has questioned my results so we'll find out for sure in the next week or so when I dyno the Cobra R, stock water pump and the Mezeire electric water pump back-to-back-to-back.

Old 03-13-2003, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the dialogue guys, I really appreciate it. You guys are helping me out ALOT.

Dan, I'll definitely keep my eye posted for your test results. I wish I could find a dyno around here without driving 4 hours! Thanks again!

Old 03-13-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Struck in AZ
Ahhh Joe, my good man...all very good questions. The run that I reference for the stock water pump and electric fan was done at 4:46 P.M. on April 19, 2002 with an air temp of 84.6 degrees and the Cobra R water pump was then installed and the truck was re-dynoed at 6:31 P.M. on April 19, 2002 with an air temp of 82.4 degrees. Figure the same day with roughly equal air temps makes the results a fair comparison (and the barometric pressure was only different by .01 in. Hg between the two runs).

And while it is true that you are merely swapping a water pump, there's no guarantee that you are not increasing or decreasing parasitic drag. The stock water pump and the Cobra R water pump have a significantly different impeller profile. The Cobra R water pump has been touted to flow more water, etc. In order to do this it has to do one of two things in my opinion - either flow more water by having a more efficient impeller design or flow more water with increased parasitic drag. Based on my results I'd have to say it's the latter... Nearly everyone has questioned my results so we'll find out for sure in the next week or so when I dyno the Cobra R, stock water pump and the Mezeire electric water pump back-to-back-to-back.
Very good points Dan.........I like others will be anxiously awaiting your results

--Joe

Old 03-14-2003, 01:44 AM
The cobra R pump is a complete waste of $ if you are looking to gain HP/TRQ. I'm not sure about its ability to help the cooling system, but I seriously doubt anyone is having issues with their trucks overheating.

Old 03-14-2003, 08:25 AM
I think the solution to a gain from the Cobra R Pump is to take advantage of it's better efficiency and slow it down with an underdrive pulley.

I bought my pump from MAD at http://www.madenterprise.com/f150.htm for $67.75 and he has the pulley too.

Last edited by F150freaky; 03-14-2003 at 08:30 AM.

Quick Reply: How much is Cobra R pump really worth?