Lightning

Installed roush susp. last night(pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 01:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed roush susp. last night(pics)

I finished up my EFan/R pump yesterday and also installed the roush suspension kit. install was straight forward, much like SVT-KY's install post last week. the only "problem" or crappy thing about the the kit was the hex insert on the shock shaft, the stock bilsteins have a shoulder to grab w/wrench while threading the nut on the shock(which makes it very easy to remove) the bilsteins in the roush kit have a hex(allen head) insert in the tip which sucks, It made the install the of the rear shocks a pain in the ***. instead of holding the shoulder, like the stock shocks had, and using a air ratchet to quickly tighten the nut, you had to press a allen head wrench into the tip of the shock and tighten it by hand, it wasn't bad on the front shocks but the rears sucked. it may sound like im whinning, and I am, I don't understand why the same shock manufacturer would go from convienience to complication. SVT-KY in his post said to be careful not to strip the hex, he wasn't kidding, as they strip very easily. other than that the kit was easy to install, and the truck looks twice as good as before, I haven't had a chance to test out handling but it felt tighter on the test drive. I still need to get an alignment and I'm sure the springs will settle some.

heres some crappy pics.

Old 03-13-2003, 01:53 PM
Looks good!

Old 03-13-2003, 03:24 PM
sweet

Old 03-13-2003, 03:30 PM
thanks guys, ill post better pics when it settles and the weather is nicer, funny I had my truck away for the past 5 months, no salt no snow no sand but I couldnt take it anymore and now its sitting in my driveway ( the rain in the pics has since turned to about a inch of snow) frame covered in salt/sand, but atleast the fan, roush, and soon headers will be done.

Old 03-13-2003, 03:58 PM
how much drop did you see with that setup as opposed to how much drop is advertised? I'm doing 4804 belltech coils this weekend, and possibly hotchkis rear leafs later on, but I really like the stance of your truck. I'm running the stock rims also.

Old 03-13-2003, 04:06 PM
i had the ground force 1''2'' kit before this, but I wanted lower and got this kit, my hitch and spare tire are removed so my truck sits a little higher than those with hard covers/hitches/spares. I kept in the FRPP drop shackles and set them to the low notch. the rear dropped big time with the new leafs over just the shackles, I cut my bumpstops in half, and have plenty of suspension travel, the truck seems level now, but I know the front will drop another half inch or so, so i'll half a slight rake, which i want. I measure quickly, it looked like 16.75 in front and 17.75 in the rear, thats probably not perfectly accurate b/c I did it so quick, i'll go re-measure when it stop snowing outside. I don't even remember how much they advertise the drop to be? but my truck is just the way I want it, not to low, but low enough.

Old 03-13-2003, 05:44 PM
How much is the roush kit, and where can ya order one?
Also, is this kit pretty complicated for someone with no experience to install? or is it just a "read the directions" type of job?
thanks...

Old 03-13-2003, 07:11 PM
as long as roush still has some left, which they should, I think the price is still 675 plus shipping which is about 40percent off what it used to be, there are no directions, its pretty much unbolt your old stuff and bolt in the new, not complicated at all. but if you have less than average mechanical skills there have been some great step by step install threads with pics on this forum, do a search for "roush" and they will come up. just call roush for the kit, number can be found on website roushperf.com

Old 03-13-2003, 07:17 PM
so your probably at almost 4" of drop in the rear with the shackles and leafs, and about 2" in the front I'm assuming the Roush front coils advertise a 2" drop

Old 03-13-2003, 07:33 PM
yes, 2 in the front, I dont think I am quite at 4 in the back b/c I have removed the spare and hitch so it's a bit lighter, but if I need to I can install the stock shackles back in there, I think SVT KY's truck settled to 16.5 all the way around with the drop shackles at the middle setting so he is going to put his stockers back in, I don't think my rear will settle that much. I want a bit of a rake. I'll wait a couple weeks and see how it settles out and see if I have to put my stock shackles back on. I went over some pretty big bumps at high speed after i installed it and it did not bottom out, I added shorter front endlinks and adjustable rears also. hope this helps

Old 03-13-2003, 07:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks GREAT !!!

Those rears are a real PITA ... If you are REALLY
careful, you can at least ratchet them up with the
EXACT size hex driver in a 3/8" ratchet. Just leave the
bottom loose and hold the nut still and unwind it upwards.

(I know ... NOW YOU TELL ME !!!) <grin>

The first three we did we did the painful way .. then we got
smarter ... The shocks in the back go in BEFORE you do the
new springs, AFTER you take out the old stuff. Sequencing
is everything ...

I think you will love the ride ... It's a road magnet ...

PS... WELCOME TO TEAM ROUSH !!!

Last edited by SVT_KY; 03-13-2003 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-13-2003, 10:05 PM
I assumed that everybody used a allen socket. Still $ucked though. Most important part about the kit is the ride. Soft and supple, yet holds tight. A little more road feedback which is great. My wife even loves the feel. You'll love the ride.

Old 03-13-2003, 10:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by air1kdf
I assumed that everybody used a allen socket. Still $ucked though. Most important part about the kit is the ride. Soft and supple, yet holds tight. A little more road feedback which is great. My wife even loves the feel. You'll love the ride.
To a man and woman, everyone that does this mod has
said that the greatest thing is being able to get into the
truck without "hopping" up. My wife even commented on it.

Air .. You going to Clay City when it opens? They cancelled
the first weekend cause the cold weather hasn't allowed the
concrete to cure sufficiently. We are gonna have some FAST
times on a new launch pad .... <grin>

Cliff

Old 03-13-2003, 10:37 PM
Just hard to say. I love racing. We are finishing off the basement now and it's sucking up all of my free time. Did wiring tonight. I have a MagnaFlow aftercat system coming in the mail, and an MSD 7020 on it's way from Canada. I can't wait to install either one of those. Some Harley guy went from 13 MPG to 17 with just the MSD unit. Of course I run Denso's so I don't think that I will get that kind of increase. I have a new email address. air1kdf@insightbb.com Send me an email when your going there. I love that track, and look forward to a great run. Maybe I can even talk you out of your slicks for a run. I really need to buy something (hint for all that are selling some).

Quick Reply: Installed roush susp. last night(pics)