Lightning

Which chip?? Any new thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003 | 06:06 PM
|
Question Which chip?? Any new thoughts?

I know this subject comes up from time to time, but. . . . .

What chip set up do you recommend for a stock 2002 L?

Is just a chip good enough for a noticeable improvement?

Who has done just a chip and what kind of difference did you get?

Thanks for any comments.

Old 03-14-2003 | 07:02 PM
Yes, just a chip will give you a 'rush'. Your shifts will be firmer and you keep from losing four cyl's power at the 1-2 shift. It, alone will add 20-30 HP and some more torque too.

You have to decide which chip/tuner to use though or you can be like me and get one from 3 different tuners .

Dan

Old 03-14-2003 | 07:14 PM
I say a chip is good even by itself. Heck I have one sitting here on my desk if you are interested. CHEAP!!!

-Kimball
zbornac@earthlink.net

Old 03-14-2003 | 07:21 PM
Thumbs up

ok, here's what you want to do. first get a superchip from Mike Troyer (that's what i did), then get a 4way chip from Sal, they are great, and superchips doesn't have a 4-way chip, and that's what i did. then you can get a Diablo chip from Johnny or Bubba, because they are pretty neat and are supposed to come out with a knock sensor program, and that's what i did

Old 03-14-2003 | 07:25 PM
Your best bet is to call or email each of the tuners. Discuss your wants and see what tuner appeals to you. You wont be able to come to an educated decision from reading any replies to your thread. It is such a mixed bag here, you'll need to go to the source.

Old 03-14-2003 | 08:54 PM
Good topic

I'm looking for a chip for my 2000L.

Mike

Old 03-14-2003 | 09:04 PM
chip

Rhino, That was about the best reply to a question I've read in a while, simple to the point and no BS. Take Rhinos advice, educate yourself alittle about what to ask for and then make a few phone calls and see who you would like to do business with. The better known tuners all have there own loyal following for a reason. Good luck, Todd

Last edited by todd abbott; 03-14-2003 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-14-2003 | 09:53 PM
I bought a Super Chip from JDM. Ordered it on Monday an I installed it on Thursday of the same week. Not like some other parts that I have ordered, 2 weeks and still waiting.

Old 03-14-2003 | 10:57 PM
Get a dyno-tuned chip by someone who knows what they're doing and has datalogging tools as well as a wideband (of course)...

That's your best bet to get a fully-tweaked chip that is still safe. And you'll know the AF and timing and all the details and get them tailored to your needs...

Old 03-14-2003 | 11:05 PM
Question Diablo Predator

Aren't they supposed to be coming out soon. Are there any drawbacks to getting a Predator as opposed to a chip?

Old 03-15-2003 | 01:18 AM
Re: Diablo Predator

Originally posted by Nasty Wendy
Aren't they supposed to be coming out soon. Are there any drawbacks to getting a Predator as opposed to a chip?
Isnt the predator going to be a hand-held device like the Hellion? where can i get details about the product?

Old 03-15-2003 | 07:58 PM
Re: Re: Diablo Predator

Originally posted by cyntaxx
Isnt the predator going to be a hand-held device like the Hellion? where can i get details about the product?
I got info on it from the Runnin with the Devil dude. His website has a good write up on it. I'd like to know if traditional chips have anything to offer that the predator doesn't.

Old 03-15-2003 | 08:26 PM
Banned
Pred has advantages and disadvantages.

1 Advantage is you can chip your truck without Ford knowing by flashing the PCM through the OBD-II port. However, you cannot use custom files or dyno tuned files. You will be forced to download the files off diablo's website which arent tweaked to your particular vehicles characteristics.

They are an option for those who dont want to take the chance in voiding their warranty based on PCM tampering. Also have a scan tool and basic mods can be made to the L's computer such as line pressure for the tranny, gear changes to match speedo, timing, etc.

Old 03-18-2003 | 07:53 PM
|
Thanks

Thanks everyone for your input. I mailed Mike Troyer and will call him later when I'm ready to purchase.

It sounds like a chip alone will be good enough for me--I'm not going to the strip--just want a little more thrust.

Quick Reply: Which chip?? Any new thoughts?