Lightning

Why in the world do I keep blowing out fog light bulbs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003 | 06:00 PM
|
Why in the world do I keep blowing out fog light bulbs?

This has got to stop... it is begining to anger me. I had two bulbs on each side blow out , then one lens browned up and I got the 2003 lights with new bulbs in them. Last night, the pass. side blew out. I do use them anytime that it's slightly dark, and always at night / early morning. When i noticed the bulb not working last night, i pulled the switch in and out, and the radio station would get fuzzy and then clear up when the switch was pushed back in... could just be coincidence? When I wash my truck, the wheel wells are sprayed out - have always done that even on my '99. Maybe water is getting in from the back side while i do this? I hope it's not an electrical gremlin...

Old 03-16-2003 | 06:03 PM
wipe them done good with acetone, and do not touch.

Old 03-16-2003 | 06:15 PM
|
You think that it could possibly just be dirt and oil from fingers on these bulbs? I watched the mechanic put the last set in and he didn't touch the bulb portion. If it were an electrical problem, how could I / they trace it to find the issue.
Last week, I did notice that the driver side fog light was out as I was driving down the road and mysteriously kicked back on when I turned them off and back on again. I played with the connection last night, and that did nothing

Old 03-16-2003 | 08:35 PM
Which fog light bulbs are you using and what wattage?

Old 03-17-2003 | 03:43 AM
Banned
I got the new L lights under warranty last week. Doesnt have the reflector piece.

It rained here the other night. I went out this morning and noticed theres moisture in them.

I am convinced that although a 9005 bulb fits into the fog socket, it doesnt seal like the 9145 bulbs do. Ill take it back, get another set and remove them perm. With HID's, i dont need fogs anyways.

My last said dusted a pair of Silverstars. For that money, i can stock up on spark plugs so fock it.

Old 03-17-2003 | 07:51 AM
|
These are the stock bulbs... I am not changing them until I know that the problem is solved on the stock ones first. It just frustrates me because I rely heavily on their usage.

Old 03-17-2003 | 08:14 AM
Banned
The old part # for the fogs have been superceded with the new design. Just goto the dealer and have them order you another set. Mine took approx 3 days to get and my dealer goes to the local Distro Ford Parts Center in Commerence Los Angeles daily. Parts come from Michigan for the new fogs. They should replace your bulbs as well, so drive in with them dusted.

Old 03-17-2003 | 09:16 AM
|
these are the '03 lights and were put in two weeks ago... and i killed a bulb already.
can i have the '99/'00 style fog lights please?!?! i never had any issues (aside from one loose ground wire) with those in the 41,000 miles that I drove my '99.

Old 08-03-2003 | 01:53 AM
DID YOU EVER GET YOUR FOG LIGHT ISSUE FIXED?
I ALSO HAVE AN 02 TRUE BLUE L WITH FOG LIGHT PROBLEMS....

Old 08-03-2003 | 04:08 AM
Banned
Here is what i discovered.

I let the lens dry out. I have the 03 lights now.

When you put the 9005 or stock bulbs in the socket and twist to lock, poke your head down there and be sure the hole is completely sealed. You will be surprised to find one side kind of open, allowing moisture, water and/or debris to enter, destroying the bulbs.

Quick Reply: Why in the world do I keep blowing out fog light bulbs?