Lightning

Att. Texas L owners that like the twisties

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003 | 01:35 PM
|
Att. Texas L owners that like the twisties

I'm in the sold out April 12th and 13th event at Motorsport Ranch In Fort Worth. and my son and I are signed up for the May 31st and June 1st event at Texas World Speedway in Bryan, TX. I am going to run the first event without my son so that we can both use the L at the TWS event (I will be in a higher class since I will have attended a prior event). I don't really like that much abuse on my brakes but I don't trust my sons 94 Firehawk to stay together. The guy that runs the school told me they have only had one Lightning run one of their events. It was a guy getting ready for the One Lap of America. Was that you Stan? He said they had a problem the time the guy with the Lightning came as he was hearing grumblings about the Lightning from some of the Vett guys. Then he says he found out what the deal was, they were mad that a truck was passing them on the long strait. This sounds like a great deal....less than $300.00 for two days of instruction. I wish some of you would join us (my son and I). The web site for more info is WWW.thedriversedge.net I would like to hear from anyone that has attended one of these events.

Doug, how about selling me those tires you had at the SVT ontrack two years ago at TMS? Don't you just like to go strait now? I would like any info I can get on where to get good road course rubber (at a price that won't kill me).

Jerry

Last edited by ShadowBolt; 03-19-2003 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-18-2003 | 01:41 PM
Keep us posted. I'd run with you, but I sold my L. LOL! Anyway, I'm about 10 minutes from TWS and would love to come out and watch (if they'll let me). Maybe I can talk my Gen1 buddy into running...

Old 03-18-2003 | 01:51 PM
I think that would be a ton more fun than drag racing. Is there alot of setup to the trucks to prep for this type of thing? I've got new ceramic pads on the front, and new standard pads on the rear, will these do?

As long as you don't need slotted cryo brakes and special suspension, this sure sounds like a blast.

Also, how many spots are open for the TWS run?

Thanks for any info you can give.

Old 03-18-2003 | 02:08 PM
|
Call Rick at the number on the web site. I really don't know much about what the truck would need. I bought a full set of fire slotted rotors from Stan (Ruslow). They are on sale through the end of this month on his web site (you can get to it at the NLOC board) $450.00 if I remember right. Stan says these rotors will work fine for most on track events. I will be getting a set of pads from him that will work better for the track than the street type I have now. The rotors and the Roush kit (not nessasarry) are the only mods I have that will help at such an event. I think The May event is wide open but Rick says they sell out 5-6 weeks in advance for EVERY event! There is no doubt that this will be much more fun (for me) than any drag race weekend (I could be the worse guy at the tree on this forum).

Jerry

Old 03-18-2003 | 10:55 PM
|
Only one person wants to go try this? The day I had two years ago at the SVT On Track Event (with less than 20 minutes of track time) was the best day ever in three years of owning the L.

Jerry

Old 03-18-2003 | 11:15 PM
Check out this rescent thread here.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...hreadid=109920

Last edited by droptail; 03-19-2003 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-19-2003 | 08:57 AM
This sounds like alot of fun Jerry. I'll see if I can stir some interest in the Houston group - there's over 80 Lightnings in our local club, someone else must be interested.....

Old 03-19-2003 | 09:18 AM
|
I think Nathan (who lives in San Antonio) was going to go but I think I read his L was down for a engine rebuild. Pass the word over on the Halo site.

Jerry

Old 03-19-2003 | 09:24 AM
Another local L owner

You'll have to come down to Round Rock on sat. evening and hang out at the RPM Indoor Raceway parking lot (after 6:30ish)
(Hesters Crossing/ Bus.35 Exit on I-35)

Swing by www.austinlightning.com as well, and I can add you to the owners list

Old 03-19-2003 | 10:05 AM
|
Thanks, I'll try to make it Sat.

Jerry

Old 03-19-2003 | 11:07 AM
Yeah, I'd love to go but my truck is out of commission. That and I own a business which demands some pretty horrible hours. Still, If I can get my motor in soon and there are open slots at that point, I'm game...

Old 03-19-2003 | 07:09 PM
Well crap, I had a nice informative post but I included a pic from TALON pic host since F150 is too limiting and it cleared my whole message Big middle finger!
Anyway, I reccomend using street tires for this class as you will go through two sets of thousand dollar race tires. You learn more on street tires anyway. I would bring extra brakes and fluid GOOD fluid! MSR is hardset on brakes and right side front tires. I would also use a rental car like V6 Camaro or Mustang from Enterprise. It will be a lot cheaper and you will learn more through the cars feedback and handling vs. the truck. I will out there if my truck is running by then

Old 03-19-2003 | 10:00 PM
|
I'm out on the MSR date. I had a previous commitment that I can't get out of. I am in for sure on the TWS event though. Rick, the guy at The Drivers Edge said MSR was mush harder to learn because of the off camber turns.

Thanks for the info on the tires L8. Are you saying I will go through a $1000.00 set of F1's in one of these events? I will drive my L as that's what I drive every day. I am going to bring pads, brake fluid, my extra set of stock rotors and tools.

At the SVT ontrack event I went to at TMS the fastest time any of the instructors ran was in a rented V-6 Mustang (on the auto-cross course). I thought that was a hoot, all that H/P in the L's and Cobra's and a V-6 Mustang kicks ***.

Jerry

Last edited by ShadowBolt; 03-19-2003 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-19-2003 | 10:48 PM
Jerry Jordan,

I think you are referring to Ed in Plano, TX. He's is/has been running One Lap of America in his silver Lightning.

I need to "retire" and race L's for a living. IT is such a head-ache.

Ruslow,

Where you been lately? I know your lurqing.

Ronald

Last edited by rqbrown; 03-19-2003 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-20-2003 | 02:40 AM
Originally posted by Jerry Jordan
I'm out on the MSR date. I had a previous commitment that I can't get out of. I am in for sure on the TWS event though. Rick, the guy at The Drivers Edge said MSR was mush harder to learn because of the off camber turns.

Thanks for the info on the tires L8. Are you saying I will go through a $1000.00 set of F1's in one of these events? I will drive my L as that's what I drive every day. I am going to bring pads, brake fluid, my extra set of stock rotors and tools.

At the SVT ontrack event I went to at TMS the fastest time any of the instructors ran was in a rented V-6 Mustang (on the auto-cross course). I thought that was a hoot, all that H/P in the L's and Cobra's and a V-6 Mustang kicks ***.

Jerry
No I meant Hoosier R3S03's like I road race on. They are a touch over 1K a set and last about 6-8 30 munites sessions at MSR with proper heat cycling. Street tires break faster and easier to learn on. LAst a lot longer etc. I would be hessitant to tear up my own vehicle at a school. Of course mine has an inherent high operating cost. The front brake pads for the Brembo's are @$300 bucks for cheap ones. I acctually cracked my Brembo rotors at TMS last year I wish it was a night race because the rotors were glowing coming into turn one
Ed has been out to the Ranch a few times. He moved up here to Dallas last year but keeps pretty quiet.. As for the off camber turns I don't like them they slow cars down a lot. Especially top heavy trucks. MSR is an excellent learning tool and due to it's limited 1/4 mile straights it is a handling course not a HP course. The Mazda Miata racers are some of the faster cars on the track!
Make sure and run a good fluid. I ran Motul RBF 600 last year this year I am stepping up to Castrol SRF. I install a lot of ATE Super Blue for my customers. It has a 400f wet boiling and is 1/2 price to the Motul. I have seen ATE online for 10 bucks a qt. Later guys!

Quick Reply: Att. Texas L owners that like the twisties