Lightning

do you keep launching plugs???

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003 | 08:50 PM
|
Question do you keep launching plugs???

I was in the local auto store today and noticed that loc-tite made a special formula just for spark plugs!
it was in a red bottle with a pic of a spark plug on it.
not saying this is the answer but it's something

Old 03-18-2003 | 08:53 PM
Sal posted something recently where he has seen that alot of plugs that have launched have used loctite. Maybe he'll chime in.

Old 03-18-2003 | 08:59 PM
The best thing to do is check your plugs regularly to make sure they are tight. When I changed mine I took 2 plugs with my bare hand.

Old 03-19-2003 | 08:44 AM
Re: do you keep launching plugs???

Originally posted by ST.ELMO'SFIRE
I was in the local auto store today and noticed that loc-tite made a special formula just for spark plugs!
it was in a red bottle with a pic of a spark plug on it.
not saying this is the answer but it's something
I went to Loctite's web site and could find no such product(spark plug application). I then called Loctite's hqs and spoke to 'Todd' in Technical and asked him about a spark plug Loctite product. He said he would just use an anti-sieze product. I told him of the plug-launching problems some L owners have experienced. He said "cool trucks!". You know of them, I asked. "Yea, there're made here in Canada and have 8 lbs. of boost." How neat--a non-L guy who knows something about them. He drives a Honda for the gas mileage("$50CD to fill his tank.") but likes our boosted trucks.

To cap our conversation though, there is no Loctite product designed(or recommended) for spark plug retention. I mentioned their product #246 and he said that it's only OK up to 450*F. He did mention they have a graphite-based anti-sieze that gives a good electrical connection. Nice guy and I told him about 'our' BB.

To sum it up, you must have seen some other brand or.........???

Dan

Old 03-19-2003 | 11:04 AM
Originally posted by s.cal L
The best thing to do is check your plugs regularly to make sure they are tight. When I changed mine I took 2 plugs with my bare hand.
Ditto. Thats best method, plus checking them every now and then will tell you how your truck is running.

Old 03-19-2003 | 02:49 PM
|
To sum it up, you must have seen some other brand or.........???

i went back and you were right the co was called AGS
if i had a cammera i would post a pic i bought it at advance auto
for a dollar, but thanks for taking the time to write a long and drawn out reply to tell me i full of it.
nice try!

Old 03-19-2003 | 05:11 PM
are there any signs to look for that a plug is getting ready to fly? Can you have a smooth idle along with a loose spark plug or does it just up and pop out even under tightness?

Old 03-19-2003 | 07:28 PM
|
Can you have a smooth idle along with a loose spark plug or does it just up and pop o

From what i have gathered from the sticky at the begining of the forum and other posts that hav launched plugs, the plug starts to unscrew it self out of the hole and when it gets close enough it blows out, i havent heard af any rough idling when they blow they don't give any tell tale signs

Old 03-19-2003 | 09:00 PM
only sign would be exhaust leak, ticking, sound, but dont rely on this, u would not, necessarily, feel any diffrence in the truck..

jim

Old 03-20-2003 | 09:46 AM
Re: To sum it up, you must have seen some other brand or.........???

Originally posted by ST.ELMO'SFIRE
i went back and you were right the co was called AGS
if i had a cammera i would post a pic i bought it at advance auto
for a dollar, but thanks for taking the time to write a long and drawn out reply to tell me i full of it.
nice try!
AGS(American Grease Stick Co.) makes primarily lubricants and chemicals. They make no thread-locking product.

http://agscompany.com/productFS/lubes/sl33.html

http://midwayautosupply.com/detailed...ption.asp?1266

Dan

Last edited by LIGHTNINROD; 03-20-2003 at 10:13 AM.

Quick Reply: do you keep launching plugs???