Lightning

Metco Lowers with Belltech 3/4 NOT GOOD!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2003, 07:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Crash-n-Burn
Man it obvious that DL is in Metco's back pocket.He has even risked getting banned to spread their name here.He probably got a free pulley screw to save Metco the supporting vendor fee.
To understand my and DL's posts, you need to know we Southern guys stick by our Southern businesses. Having said that, all I have from Metco is my Gatorback belt--that I paid for at NMRA-SDR last year. Btw, if you look at my sig, you will see that I've supported a bunch of yankees too .

Dan

Old 03-19-2003, 10:20 PM
DL
Originally posted by Tim Skelton
Nonsense. My Metco lower install was a nightmare start to finish. No way to sugar coat it--it was a plain nightmare. The instructions (no photos) are next to worthless. The front hangar bolts have the problem described above (not just limited to Belltech drops). The STOCK exhaust has to be cut, welded, and bent out of the way.

Now, the parts are very high quality and the folks at Metco give outstanding customer service (and I mean outstanding). But I give ease of installation about 2 out of 10 points.

No reason to gloss over the truth here. I have been called out for "slamming" vendors. Not so--I simply tell the truth without regard for whether the vendor is offended. Hell, I'd post if my mom sold me a poor-fitting part. That's the beauty of the Internet. Unless and until some vendor buys my silence, the truth shall be spoken.
The truth is some things are easier to do for some people then others. Not ragging on you Tim.

What may be bad instructions for you are clear to other people.

It is FORD that caused your problems with your exhaust, there is not a fit-all mod available for every application. Sometimes things need extra adjusting.

That's why the bolt on parts are called mod's.

Old 03-19-2003, 10:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by LIGHTNINROD
To understand my and DL's posts, you need to know we Southern guys stick by our Southern businesses. Having said that, all I have from Metco is my Gatorback belt--that I paid for at NMRA-SDR last year. Btw, if you look at my sig, you will see that I've supported a bunch of yankees too .

Dan
Hell, I love Metco. I'm from South Carolina myself. Lived just a few miles from Metco in Greer, SC. Just speaking the truth. I would not hesitate to buy another Metco product. Top notch parts.

Old 03-19-2003, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by DL
. . . What may be bad instructions for you are clear to other people.

It is FORD that caused your problems with your exhaust, there is not a fit-all mod available for every application. Sometimes things need extra adjusting.

(1) I'm an intellectual property lawyer, so complex subjects are my daily fare. Patents have images, and the folks which use them are pretty damn smart. Trust me, the instructions suck. A picture is worth a thousand words. The lack of pictures is worth a thousand curse words.

(2) I repeat--my exhaust was STOCK. It wasn't even close. I don't think Ford should take the rap on this one.

Summary: Fantastic quality. Great function. Great customer service. LTL instructions suck. Installation unnecessarily complicated. Wouldn't hestiate to buy more Metco parts.

No reason to defend them further.

Old 03-19-2003, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by DL

Ford caused the problems? That's probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on this message board. Before you start implying that Tim doesn't posses your mechanical competence, why don't you take a look at what your employer/supporter/sponsor/whatever has on their website.

> Unique bolt-in brackets make installation a snap.
> Complete bolt-in, no modifications required. All hardware included.
> Components mount below spring, and may interfere with exhaust modifications, particularly with the exhaust tips. Suitable for vehicles lowered more than 2 inches.

These are their words. Is it wrong of Tim, or any other customer, to expect the bars to bolt right in? I think not. Tim's exhaust is stock; so there shouldn't be any problem. The onus is on the aftermarket part provide to either make it work as advertised or change their advertising.

-Edward

P.S.: In my opinion, anytime anyone has to add a disclaimer to a statement, i.e. "Not ragging on you Tim," it's usually meaningless. Just come right out and say, "Tim, I don't think you have the ability to undertake this mod installation."

Old 03-20-2003, 07:53 AM
DL
Originally posted by Edward
Ford caused the problems? That's probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever read on this message board. Before you start implying that Tim doesn't posses your mechanical competence, why don't you take a look at what your employer/supporter/sponsor/whatever has on their website.

> Unique bolt-in brackets make installation a snap.
> Complete bolt-in, no modifications required. All hardware included.
> Components mount below spring, and may interfere with exhaust modifications, particularly with the exhaust tips. Suitable for vehicles lowered more than 2 inches.

These are their words. Is it wrong of Tim, or any other customer, to expect the bars to bolt right in? I think not. Tim's exhaust is stock; so there shouldn't be any problem. The onus is on the aftermarket part provide to either make it work as advertised or change their advertising.

-Edward

P.S.: In my opinion, anytime anyone has to add a disclaimer to a statement, i.e. "Not ragging on you Tim," it's usually meaningless. Just come right out and say, "Tim, I don't think you have the ability to undertake this mod installation."
My local Ford Tech and I did the installation of my Metco Lower Trac Links on a Saturday, We had to loosen the clamp on the tail pipes and move it back some, then we cut a piece off the bracket used to hold on the tail pipes to keep them from rubbing the front mounted bracket. My Local Ford Tech said he didn't understand what all the fuss was about over the install, It wasn't to much of a problem for us.

Yes we used a lift, made the install easier. I wasn't pointing out that Tim couldn't handle the install, just that sometimes things are more diffcult for others. I put the "disclaimer" as you say, to try to keep this post from turning personal.

Old 03-20-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by DL
My local Ford Tech and I did the installation of my Metco Lower Trac Links on a Saturday, We had to loosen the clamp on the tail pipes and move it back some, then we cut a piece off the bracket used to hold on the tail pipes to keep them from rubbing the front mounted bracket. My Local Ford Tech said he didn't understand what all the fuss was about over the install, It wasn't to much of a problem for us.

Yes we used a lift, made the install easier. I wasn't pointing out that Tim couldn't handle the install, just that sometimes things are more diffcult for others. I put the "disclaimer" as you say, to try to keep this post from turning personal.
Mine wasn't even close:

The whole outlet system had to be cut off and new outlets fabbed.

This photo also shows the tiny space one has to work with when reinstalling the front spring bolt.

From my Web site:

"Note that Metco states that the upper links are "suitable for vehicles lowered no more than 2 inches," while the lower links are "suitable for vehicles lowered more than 2 inches." I have confirmed this with Metco. Unfortunately, I ordered the bars from another vendor who did not warn me of this limitation. Although the upper links will work okay for me now (1.75" drop), the axle brackets will hit the underside of the chassis if lowered more--which I intend to do. Metco cheerfully agreed to swap out the parts so I could convert to lower links, even though I did not even purchase the products from them!

Since Metco has provided me with a quality product, outstanding customer support, and are fellow South Carolinians : ), I strongly recommend their products."

Nuff said.

Old 03-20-2003, 10:33 AM
DL
Nuff said, your right Tim. One last word...

I see your side exhaust pipes hang down a lot further than mine did, making it a lot more difficult for you.

My tips were up higher and fit into the cut out area allowance on the Metco bracket for the pipes. I just moved my clamp back a little.

Quick Reply: Metco Lowers with Belltech 3/4 NOT GOOD!!!