Lightning

How much oil consumption is considered normal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003 | 01:12 AM
|
UPDATE: My bolt "drunk" 3 quarts of oil in 3000 miles! HELP!

My 01 bolt has about 30.000 on it now. I have been using Mobil Supersyn oil 5W30 for about 12.000 miles now. My truck has been "ëating up oil" like a drunk with a bottle of Jack Daniels. I have checked the right side of the block and cat to see if I could detect the infamous oil leak in between the head and the block, but there was no sign of any external leak. My last oil change was 3000 miles ago. I took my truck in today for a tire rotation and they told me that when they checked the oil level they could not see any markings in the dip stick!!!!! It was below the minimum. Last time this happened and they checked the level, it was at the minimum, so I had to add a quart, but now it is not even visible!! Is this normal? Does the chip have anything to do with the oil burning? As time goes by, the problem is getting worst. Is there any other test besides an oil consumption test, to see what is happening? Please help!

Last edited by brasil; 03-21-2003 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-21-2003 | 01:31 AM
Could this be a severe case of oil venting up into the intake? Look at the back of the T/B for starters of heavy deposits. There are many debates going on about different fixes for this, Swanson, E-Bay,...Search PCV.

Last edited by droptail; 03-23-2003 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-21-2003 | 01:44 AM
deffinatly not normal.

Larry.

Old 03-21-2003 | 08:30 AM
WHOA! Don't 'trust' an oil level reading to an oil-change person.

Please, try this: check your own oil--only after it's been sitting overnight. Do this every weekend after the next oil change. If you are not the one doing the changing, make sure that the oil-changer puts ONLY 6 quarts in. The following morning(after the oil change), do your own oil-level check(be sure the truck is on level ground) and note where the oil last touches the dip-stick. That's your 'full' level. I would wipe the oil off the stick and reinsert the stick, remove it, and check for the second time. Check again the following weekend(or when convinient). I would wait for at least 5 days between checks to give it time to use the oil up IF it is doing that.

My 01L(with 45K) may use a 1/2 quart every 5K or so. There is no reason for yours to use up too much unless it is being ingested thru the intake as someone else mentioned. If you find oil in the intake/th. body area, get a Danny Swanson PCV kit or the one that other guys have used that was on ebay(Lightining Ent.?). See the earlier threads on these kits.

Dan

Old 03-21-2003 | 09:48 AM
I was happy to have no oil in my intake at all last year. Until I looked this year. I thought I got away scott free

Old 03-21-2003 | 11:51 AM
I aggree with LIGHTNINROD. My L uses no oil. Don't trust someone else, check it yourself.
A chip will not affect your oil consumption, other than if your chip's shift points are 5800rpm and you continually shift @ 5800rpm you'll use more oil because of the holes in the block from the rods going through.

Old 03-21-2003 | 04:51 PM
|
UPDATE: I checked my oil this morning and there was no evidence of the engine having any oil at all!!! I poured 1 quart and waited, no sign of oil in the dip stick!! I poured a second quart in, when I checked it was in the minimum levele! WTF!! I will have to pour a third quart in. This means that it has gone through 3 quarts of oil in 3000 miles

What could be causing this oil consumption? There is no sign of any external leaks.

Old 03-21-2003 | 07:04 PM
hmm i've been taking some short trips lately (about 150 miles or so) and i've noticed some oil usage myself. Every couple of hundred miles I'll check and will have to add maybe a couple of ounces so it rises from just above min to somewhere between the min and max (usually leaning more towards min in the XXXs)...

i will do what LIGHTNINGROD said after this upcoming oil change (doing it this weekend)...

I've checked the intake boot and tb (didnt take the TB off to look at the back side) and only found trace amounts of oil. I've yet to get the PCV kit and am not using the breather cap (chip not burned for it )

Also, you mentioned that you checked for leakage between the head and the block on the driver's side around the cat...i've checked myself but haven't paid close attention to this area. should i be smelling burning oil if it indeed leaks and is burning off the exhaust?

Old 03-21-2003 | 11:28 PM
Originally posted by brasil
UPDATE: I checked my oil this morning and there was no evidence of the engine having any oil at all!!! I poured 1 quart and waited, no sign of oil in the dip stick!! I poured a second quart in, when I checked it was in the minimum levele! WTF!! I will have to pour a third quart in.
Time to buy a whole case of oil!

Old 03-21-2003 | 11:48 PM
You all would freak if you knew that fords 'spec' is 1 quart per 900 miles (or was it 1000) to 'use' At that usage you would thikn this was a 2 cycle motor.

Crazy eh?

Brandon

Old 03-23-2003 | 07:20 PM
|
Can anyone please give me some insight before I take it to the dealer? What could be the cause for the engine to consume and burn oil? As I previously mentioned, there is no sign of any external leaks.

Old 03-23-2003 | 08:53 PM
Originally posted by brasil
Can anyone please give me some insight before I take it to the dealer? What could be the cause for the engine to consume and burn oil? As I previously mentioned, there is no sign of any external leaks.
My 'search' turned up this:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...leaning+intake

See the pic of the oily i/c:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...hreadid=107959

I d/k if this is your problem. No one has had as much oil missing as you have.....................

Dan

Last edited by LIGHTNINROD; 03-23-2003 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-23-2003 | 10:52 PM
Technical Article Contributor

You could try some Auto-RX. It's a quick cheep process that may help, and can't hurt. Just change your oil filter and run for 500 miles, then change your oil.

Here is a good link on the subject.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/...c;f=5;t=000032

Old 03-23-2003 | 11:15 PM
Cool

First off. Don't assume that mr oil change guy is doing it correctly.
Fill it up to a known point then watch the level yourself. If it drops as you are thinking it does? Then you have some facts to approach Ford with. If not? It's only speculation as far as they are concerned.

WOT

Old 03-24-2003 | 02:27 AM
|
I did my last oil change with a tech at the Acura dealership were I used to work. I saw him pouring the 6 quarts of Mobil 1 SuperSyn. When my tires were rotated a few days ago, I confirmed that the oil level was so low, that it didn't even show on the dipstick. It took 3 quarts to get the reading to be in between the min and and max level.

Quick Reply: How much oil consumption is considered normal?