Lightning

Finally, my Dyno charts arrived showing with/without the Plasma Booster

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003 | 11:20 PM
Ok I'll admit, the Plasma Booster may
not have been "my best mod". However like a $500.00 Throttle Body (which everyone claims gives no increase) I found Both to be a big improvement "for me" IN SEAT OF THE PANTS.
Like everything, it's part of the big picture

I did install both Mods at the same time, and I WAS NOT HAPPY with chopping into 8 coil wires to hook up the Booster, BUT, the response the truck now has is night and day differance, the low end pulling is night and day differance, the WOT is stronger, and the idle is better. You can absolutely hear and feel the differance.
HOW MUCH YOU ASK, for me it pushed me over the edge to the point that I can no longer WOT my L in first gear with out totally loosing all traction, even with only 4lbs of Boost. I could do that all day long the day before these two Mods went on ?????? After the two Mods all it will do is break the tires and even get a little squiggly going onto 2nd sometimes, (on a 100% stock tranny)
Never did that before either.

MSD has always been a good thing, any racer knows that, I know we have a great ignition system, but the bottom line is, the more spark OR MULTI SPARK you have, the more effecient the burn, the more HP, the more Torque, the smoother, etc...
It may not be the biggest differance on our system, but to me it's part of the puzzle, and clearly accented the Throttle Body to a point where I can clearly feel the differance.

As far as LIGHTNINROD's Dyno
It seems to me it allowed him into the 400/500 Club
TO ME, THATS PRICELESS
Way to go Dan

OEM Ignition System
Secondary spark voltage measured on the secondary discharge in to the spark.

Notice the single ionization spark and a long duration of low voltage spark.

Plasma Booster Ignition
Same secondary spark voltage measured on the same secondary discharge with the Plasma Booster installed.

Notice the Multiple Spark Discharge of about 10 Sparks within 500 micro seconds of the total spark.

Old 03-22-2003 | 04:54 AM
Banned
Originally posted by Black 2000
Actually ****...

The only change to JJ's truck was the PB when he went from 12.01 to 11.89...

That seems like a mod that works to me. I mean the 11.89 was on a much warmer day than his 12.01.
And as you've stated has made improvements on many Cobra's.

Later...
Bruce
BS.. 6 hp gain from a PB isnt going to give you 2/10ths first off all. You buy into all of this or what? C'mon

I think he went ragged on the tune. What kind of fuel was he running? Sounds like more timing got him 2/10ths deeper.

Last edited by Flying Mofo; 03-22-2003 at 04:58 AM.
Old 03-22-2003 | 06:08 AM
Originally posted by Flying ****
I think

:o

IIAA ASI VMF AWAJ

Last edited by Grey03; 03-22-2003 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-22-2003 | 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Flying ****
BS.. 6 hp gain from a PB isnt going to give you 2/10ths first off all. You buy into all of this or what? C'mon

I think he went ragged on the tune. What kind of fuel was he running? Sounds like more timing got him 2/10ths deeper.
"Ragged" ? You make about as much sense as Grey 03's IIPUTANG thing.

Dan's dyno with Dan's Mods right?

Umm, anyway Ok. best of luck to you. And I wish you the best with your failing boost gauge you should really send that back and get your money back. Definately not worth the money if it's not working "properly".

Cecil looks like a great day for racing. I'm sure we'll see some fantastic times from JJ and the rest that are racing today.

Later...
Bruce

Last edited by Black 2000; 03-22-2003 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-22-2003 | 08:53 AM
Ok, Ok...

How does 13.10 @ 113.35 mph sound. Easily in the 11's except for a failing clutch sent him home for the day.
Now that's on a 02 GT weighing in at 3665 lbs. with 8 psi boost. Running with an Ignitiion Solutions Plasma Booster.

I know your going to say "apples to oranges" but the point here is that the PB works plain and simple.
It's not taking power away, there's no insane mark up in the price, install is straight forward and the gains with minor mods is there.

What's your real problem with the PB ?

Later...
Bruce

Old 03-22-2003 | 10:51 AM
|
Re: Re: Finally, my Dyno charts arrived showing with/without the Plasma Booster

Originally posted by lurker
Too bad you didn't reconnect the ground and run one more time while you were there. A 1/2 hour heat soak on a hot motor can be a bad thing for power...
Here is the first pull done a half hour after driving 2 hours to the shop with the PB connected

Did you see this ^?

Old 03-22-2003 | 11:34 AM
FYI...12.9 a/f on pump gas for these trucks is running on the ragged edge.

It may or may not work. Just like the t-body, Bassani, or whatever...spend money on what you want for your truck, since it's your truck.

Old 03-22-2003 | 10:34 PM
Re: Re: Re: Finally, my Dyno charts arrived showing with/without the Plasma Booster

Originally posted by LIGHTNINROD
Here is the first pull done a half hour after driving 2 hours to the shop with the PB connected

Did you see this ^?
Yup, too bad you didn't reconnect the ground and run one more time while you were there. A 1/2 hour heat soak on a hot motor can be a bad thing for power...

Back to back to back testing...

Old 03-23-2003 | 10:08 AM
|
Here are better pics--with rpms:

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...4542&anum=3723

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...4541&anum=3723

Dan

Last edited by LIGHTNINROD; 03-23-2003 at 04:55 PM.
Old 03-23-2003 | 01:06 PM
You're already coming down in Tq on both of them , you should have had him start each pull at a lower RPM.

Daniel

Old 03-24-2003 | 10:12 AM
|
Re: Re: Finally, my Dyno charts arrived showing with/without the Plasma Booster

Originally posted by lurker
Too bad you didn't reconnect the ground and run one more time while you were there. A 1/2 hour heat soak on a hot motor can be a bad thing for power...
Here is a thread where the two pulls were only 2 minutes apart:

http://www.nloc.net/forum/showthread...threadid=40519

Or, are you saying that a half-hour "soak" is worse than a 2 minute interval?

Dan

Old 03-24-2003 | 10:39 AM
Re: Re: Re: Finally, my Dyno charts arrived showing with/without the Plasma Booster

In my experiences at the dyno, when I shut the truck down for 1/2 hour or so, the blower and intake act kind of like a big heat sink and pulls some heat from the motor. I have found that when sitting there idling, the blower and intake was actually cooler to the touch because it is pulling outside air in and the blower is not under load so not really producing any heat by itself. I have never put a thermocouple on it so I have no real data...just the touch test. Maybe I am wrong, but like I said, that's my experience.

If you have a huge fan blowing on it while soaking or iced it , it would help though.

Old 03-24-2003 | 12:56 PM

Dan
As noted by others, the soak is worse.

Quick Reply: Finally, my Dyno charts arrived showing with/without the Plasma Booster