Lightning

Just installed Flex-A-Lite e-fan and it was a Whore

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003 | 11:00 PM
|
Just installed Flex-A-Lite e-fan and it was a *****

Ok it's 4:00 PM and I am going to go to a place not far from where I live where hot cars and trucks meet every Sat. night around 6:30 PM (Edward told me about it). I thought "I can install an e-fan in two hours". Well at 9:00 PM I finished. I did break for Supper (that's what we call the last meal of the day down south for you northern boys) but come on 4 hours plus! This fan kit may have the worst instructions I have ever seen I did not have to do anything twice and could do another in an hour easy. That is how bad the instructions are. If you decide to do this, DO NOT install the controll unit on the fan shroud as per the instructions. If you do you will not be able to install the intercooler res. and the cover that has all the belt, plug, and other info with out covering it up (if it's even doable). I did take a little longer because I was going to install my Ruslow underdrive Water pump pulley. Could not do it with the stock cage on the lower blower pulley. No problem since my new Metco shipped on Fri. I mounted the controll unit on the cover for the starter solinoid (SP).

Jerry

Last edited by ShadowBolt; 03-22-2003 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-22-2003 | 11:50 PM
yup

that's why you always see me preaching the JDM kit on here. It was rediculously easy. I hate wiring and that was my worry, but it was simple. Everything fit perfect. Said it once and i'll say it again, WELL WORTH THE MONEY. Unless you like to sit there and pay around with stuff. I don't have the time.

Not that Jim's is better than any fan out there, beause I dont' have any facts to prove it, and i'm not debating that, but it was a snap to put in and if I had to debate it.....i'd stand behind it.

Old 03-23-2003 | 05:04 PM
|
There is nothing wrong with the fan, just the instructions. I was afraid of the JDM/ JL fans living in Texas. This one moves alot more air than those.

Jerry

Old 03-23-2003 | 06:21 PM
yep when i have the time i plan on stepping up to the flexalite dual setup...

it moves like 5500 cfm of air correct? compared to under 4000 for ours...

Old 03-23-2003 | 08:46 PM
Electric Fan

After looking at all the options that I could find , I decided on the fan kit from Lightning Force Performance.It is the same as JDM but better bolts(grade8) and FAR cheaper !!! It is also easier to install,all the wiring is for the relays is done for you.It is pretty much plug & play.Just my .02.

Old 03-23-2003 | 08:55 PM
JDM Fan

i was waiting for Marks fan forever, but i couldn't wait any longer so went with the JDM fan and glad I did. The JDM kit comes complete with one harness.........and is completely plug and play. It took me longer to drain the coolant to install the sensor then to install the kit.

There's a ton of JDM customers in Texas running his fan kit, no problems that i'm aware of.

Flex a lite makes a nice product and they had no "kit" directly for our trucks when i was interested, and wasn't interested in becoming a wiring engineer, cause i hate wiring. Good luck with the fans, i'm sure they'll work out great for ya.

Old 03-23-2003 | 08:58 PM
I am very happy with my JDM fan kit.

Probaly should have done the mod sooner.

VINNIE

Old 03-24-2003 | 07:43 AM
The JDM fan kit is what I used also and it was a snap. Some
times to spend the$$ will keep ya from running to the hardware
store 2 or more times

JEFF

Old 03-24-2003 | 09:18 AM
Thanks for the info!

Old 03-24-2003 | 12:21 PM
Unhappy

I'll agree with this post. I did the flex-a-lite fan too. And to top it off I'm a dunce when it comes to wiring. Boy that helped! NOT!

I do however really like the quality of this kit. It has a 5500CFM flow rating on high, a "60%" rating under normal circumstances, the automatic A/C on/off feature, the trackside on/off feature, and how nice it is overall to live with.

Fortunately I'm an automotive product designer at heart. So before I followed the instructions as is. I second guessed every line of instruction and tried to see if it made sense. The mounting of the controller would have been screwed up if I had'nt just as happened to Jerry. And also some clearer directions of the brackets would have helped as well. (my instructions were copied so dark that I could'nt see the pictures!)

It was'nt til after I was done that I got the bright idea to check their web site. And sure enough there are the instructions in adobe. DOH!

Only things (IMO) *wrong* with this kit is the unclear instructions and it's hefty price.

Glad I do have it though, WOT

Old 03-24-2003 | 01:48 PM
Same here...

Just got done working with a friend to install the Flex-a-Lite in my 2000 Expy. I concur the out-of-the-box instructions are not useful. I went to www.flexalite.com and downloaded the install instructions and additional details from there. Those helped a bit.

Also, I installed the variable switch on the firewall. I didn't like the idea of putting it on the electric fan shroud.

This is a nice product, well-worth the $400 (thanks Summit), and a great cooling upgrade. I was surprised how loud this unit actually is.

Old 03-24-2003 | 05:29 PM
|
Wish I would have gone to the web and got the instructions as they are much easier to read. By the way...there is NOTHING missing in the kit, it just has crappy instructions. No doubt I can feel the difference in power and throttle responce (I did not really expect to) but I'm not sure I will get used to the noise. It is really loud!

Jerry

Old 03-24-2003 | 06:21 PM
I don't feel mine is overly loud when operating normally at 60%.? Is yours running at 100% or something?

WOT

Old 03-24-2003 | 07:18 PM
what???

It is the same as JDM but better bolts(grade8)
Grade 8 bolts for a fan kit??????? There's nothing on anyone's kit that requires more than a taiwan tony grade 2 bolt, nevermind a grade 5 or a GRADE 8!!!!!

Good looks on using the best though.

Old 03-24-2003 | 10:38 PM
Cool LFP E-Fan

The introductory date of our LFP plug & play E-fan was delayed more than once last year. Prototyping then trying to get it to market while depending on time frames given to us from more than one co. for components caused a delay of close to 8-10 weeks.
We now have the kits and have been offering them for several mo. now. Assembled in our shop here in Houston and wiring harness's that are very user friendly. No circuits to build, no wirers to cut, AC tap, high speed over ride via a micro-toggle that mounts in cab, all relays are waterproof.
No problem here in TX. keeping your L cool using our's or jims. The Flex-fan does run approx. 1000 cfms more but ours is more than sufficient. Our's and jim's are built into a stock L shroud incorporating a totally stock look.
I also offer the Flex-Fan and have replaced my share of 12v digital thermostates. You don't want to be on a long hot road when that part goes out.

Mark/LFP
www.lightningforceperformance.com

Quick Reply: Just installed Flex-A-Lite e-fan and it was a Whore