Lightning

oil smell, need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2003 | 07:42 PM
|
oil smell, need help

If I do a 0-65MPH with the hammer down, then get out of it, it seems to smell like oil. One time it was so bad in the cab I pulled over and opened the hood, found nothing. Has anybody ever experienced this before?

Old 03-23-2003 | 08:14 PM
From: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
have you checked the back of the block on the passenger side for a leak?

I got the oil leak BAD.

Old 03-23-2003 | 08:28 PM
If you don't find any dripping from the head-block area(per Speedin' Bob) then it may just be oil in the intake area being burned in the combustion chambers--hope for 'this' one not the first one .

Dan

Old 03-23-2003 | 09:21 PM
I had the head gasket weeping oil....stinking and all that crap. Ford might fix it for you if you are very lucky. things could get much worse than just the oil weeping....just my opinion...I could be right.

Old 03-23-2003 | 09:52 PM
I had a burning oil smell that was noticable after stopping and shutting the truck off. Turned out to be the driver's side head gasket, which was replaced under warranty.

Good luck!

Old 03-23-2003 | 10:46 PM
|
You guys rock.

I checked all over with a flashlight tonight and found nothing. The manifolds look clean, no sign of oil anywhere. Again this is just looking at the top and sides, not underneath. Nothing has leaked on the ground. Tomorrow I'll jack it up and look around. Is their a specific place or just generally near the rear of the heads?

For those of you that found a leak, how did you find out that their was a problem?

Thanks.

Old 03-24-2003 | 09:00 AM
You won't see(unless it's a cam-cover leak) it until you get underneath. I havn't done it myself but look at the rear of the right head. Look for any oil stains/drips onto the cat. conv. usually.

You can remove the intake boot from the throttle body to look for signs of oil in your intake.

Dan

Old 03-24-2003 | 10:17 AM
From: On the side of the Road attempting to explain 135 miles per hour
Originally posted by LIGHTNINROD
You won't see(unless it's a cam-cover leak) it until you get underneath. I havn't done it myself but look at the rear of the right head. Look for any oil stains/drips onto the cat. conv. usually.

You can remove the intake boot from the throttle body to look for signs of oil in your intake.

Dan
As Danno said, gotta crawl underneath to find it.

Found it the first time with oil on the garage floor.

Bob

Old 03-24-2003 | 10:21 AM
Crawl up under the pass side. Look up past the first down stream cat to the rear corner of the block. On mine I could see a drop of oil hanging waiting to drop on the cat.

Doug

Old 03-24-2003 | 06:36 PM
|
Whew, it's not the head gasket. But I have oil draining out of the throttle body. I even have a breather on the passenger side valve cover. I just couldn't believe it.

Old 03-24-2003 | 06:53 PM
Originally posted by air1kdf
Whew, it's not the head gasket. But I have oil draining out of the throttle body. I even have a breather on the passenger side valve cover. I just couldn't believe it.
Yep, mine was collecting in the boot and running down into the filter box where it was dripping out the weep hole in the bottom.
Solved my problem with the screen (check the Guiness record length thread on NLOC).
DW

Quick Reply: oil smell, need help