Lightning

S/C idler pulley inspection

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2003 | 05:19 PM
|
S/C idler pulley inspection

Have a 99 with 24k miles. It was raining today and I needed to fiddle with the L. Recently read a post about greasing the idler pulleys and decided to check them out.

My truck has been babyed since new and I would say it has always had a clean engine compartement. When I removed the idler pulleys I was amazed at how much junk had built up on the backside out of sight.
They rolled smoothly but I cleaned them up and took a sharp hooked tool and was able to lift the side near the bore easily and lift out the seal. It sort of snaps in a grove on the outside. I added some synthetic marine grease being careful not to pack it full which is not needed. I then replaced the seal using my fingers.

I would recomend doing the seal on the front face as there is a washer covering the seal and not one on the backside.

I am sure you all know about it but there is a 1/2 inch square hole in the end of the tension pulley arm that is for a 1/2 ratchet or breaker bar. This allows you to easily releive the tension without stressing things. Then use a 13mm box or socket to remove the idler's there is only the one bolt and no spacers or anything to worry about.

The whole job literaly took minutes to do and I would recomend doing it.
Greg

Old 03-24-2003 | 06:03 PM
Old 03-24-2003 | 06:48 PM
|
Thanks Dan.
A picture is worth a lot of words.
And it is one of the easier jobs to do.
Wish cleaning the intercooler was that easy
Greg

Quick Reply: S/C idler pulley inspection