Lightning

APR Chip ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 09:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
APR Chip ?

http://www.rapidparts.com/rapidapr/chips.html

Ok a friend of mine is running one of these APR chips in his car and he can't be happier with it and it got me thinking. Why are these chips supposedly not detectable by the dealer when they run them threw there diagnostic tools. If this is possible with these chips why isn't it possible with the chips that all the tuners sell(superchips, diablo.....ect). These are just some simple questions I have so please nobody take it like I'm trying to bash any certain chips. So if any of the tuners want to chime in to try to help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Adam

Old 03-25-2003, 09:18 PM
Maybe its just the way the audi/vw ecu system is designed in the first place?

Old 03-25-2003, 09:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I've never heard of them, but it also seems they are more for the european cars. I'm sure other brand PCMs work differently. Or it may be an EPROM type chip like GM uses, where you can take the actual PCMs EPROM off and replace it with the aftermarket one, and then slap the stocker back in for service. Just my guess.

Old 03-25-2003, 09:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Adam

If you decide to chip your truck, go with one of the local big 3 tuners. You will be better served and these guys have more experience with the Lightnings

PSP
JDM
JL

See ya the 12th

Old 03-25-2003, 09:30 PM
Yea defiantly made for the euro cars he's running it on a 2001 Golf. Thanks for the input Sal the way you explained it makes a little more sense to me now.

Old 03-25-2003, 09:33 PM
Bruce

When I chip my truck I'm defiantly going with one of the big three, but I was just a little curious about how these chips work.

Old 03-25-2003, 09:44 PM
The big three, I bet the Don likes that sound of that

Old 03-26-2003, 10:57 AM
Well with Audi/VW if the dealer reflashes the computer with the chip in it blanks out the chip, basically you're screwed then.

Also with most Audi/VW's the chips do increase power by alot, very easily detected by a quick test drive.

Sal, I'm not positive but I believe you are right about the EPROM. Thats exactly what the GIAC chip in my GTI looks like.

Old 03-26-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by captainoblivious
Well with Audi/VW if the dealer reflashes the computer with the chip in it blanks out the chip, basically you're screwed then.
Nope, not true. The APR chip cannot be overwritten by an Audi/VW dealership chip programmer.

As for the original question on this thread. The APR chip requires you to send your ECU into APR, where they remove the stock EEPROM, and replace it with one of their chips, which can contain up to 4 programs (street, race, valet, stock, etc). However, because of the way the chip is designed, the APR programs are "hidden" from the VAG tool by some nifty encryption, so the dealer is none the wiser (without a test drive). These chips are really only applicable (for large power increases) to Audi/VW turbocharged engines, like the 1.8T, or 2.7T, because they effect the function of the when the turbocharger solenoid bleeds off boost, as well as controlling fuel and timing.

I highly recommend APR to anyone with such an engine. They know their stuff.

Quick Reply: APR Chip ?