Lightning

Truck washing question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 10:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck washing question?

Hey guys quick question. Does anyone know if you can put the sheepskin wash mitts in the washing machine? Mine are getting a little dirty and I wanted to know if this is possible. Also just for a general poll what does everyone use to was their vehicles with. Here is what I use.

Shine = armor all original formula
Cleaning = armor all cleanup
Windows = Boyd’s tint cleaning foam
Carpet = Blue coral spot magic
Seats = Blue coral Dry clean
Engine = armor all cleanup
Car wash = Blue Coral professional gel wash
Wash mitt = Sheep skin wash mitt
Drying = The Absorber and a wet/dry vac for water in crevasses
Rim cleaner = Maguire’s Hot rims
Tire cleaner = Bleach white
Wax = I won’t even say on that one cause it will start a war. Lol

If you can think of anything else add it in. I just wanted to get a feel of what people use cause maybe it is better than what I use.

Old 03-25-2003, 10:52 PM
Here's What I do:

I wash the truck with 2 chenille wash mitts like these:

I go from top to bottm and use one mitt for rocker panels and up, another for rockers and down. Keeps the dirt from the lower area off the top panels and prevents swirls.

I use a wheel brush similar to this one for the wheels and wheelwells.

Everything up to this point is done with Meguiars Gold Class car wash shampoo and conditioner.

I dry the truck off using a california water blade for the large areas and then an absorber. Always make sure there's no dirt at all left, if not the blade will drag it across and create scratches. If I need to dry it off quickly and get a lot of the water out of the crevices, a quick 0-100-0 blast does the trick

I don't use armor all or anything like it ANYWHERE on the car. IMHO, the high gloss look it gives not only makes stuff look cheap and plasticky, but it also makes them slippery, and most importantly, turns plastics white with use os they won't look good unless you use it. Just wash the plastic and dry it normally. I do use some 303 protectant on my soft tonneau cover. It doesnt give it any gloss or nicer look at all, it's just a sunscreen to prevent fading. You can find 303 at boat shops. (west marine, boaters world)

On the interior I vacuum and use meguiars quick detailer to wipe down the plastic trim and billet (yay!) and the doorjambs. I haven't had the truck long enough to deal with seat or carpet stains.

In the engine bay I'll dust is and clean off everything, including the underside of the hood, with more meguiars quick detailer.

On the tires I'll use bleche white to clean them. I don't use any tire dressing since i can't find the meguiars low-gloss endurance anymore. it wasn't too shiny and didnt sling. Let me know what you all have tried that doesnt sling.

Polish, glaze and wax: Meguiars scratch x, meguiars number 7, and meg's #26 or gold class, depends on my mood lol.

Old 03-25-2003, 11:35 PM
For tires I use Eagle One Tire Gel. Definetly shines em up right, that's the only stuff I found that would work on the F1's.

Old 03-25-2003, 11:57 PM
i actually dont like wash mits at all...... IMHO they dont get the car "suddsey" enough....

i use a sponge, w/ either Rain Dance wash/wax or Eagle One Car wash.

usually meguirs or mothers wheels cleaner (also spray it on the exaust tips), and for the chrome rims i wait till they dry and spray windex and wipe them.

i use all sorts of tire gels and sprays.

*i never ever use armor for the interior it drys out the dash and stuff overtime, i just use a damp wash cloth and it looks like it just came from the factory, not the "fake" shiney look.

either blue corral or Fabreeze for the seat, then vacuum.

some sort of leather wipe for the cobra, and for the leather parts of the truck.

Old 03-26-2003, 12:06 AM
hey shadowlightning were can you buy that stuff..

and what is the best thing that ya'll use to shine chrome

Old 03-26-2003, 12:15 AM
this is what i always use:: it makes it look new all over

Shine (interior) ---> 303
Cleaning---> cleaning what?? I like Simple Green for tough stuff
Windows--> wax outsides (yes wax) and eagle 1 on inside
Carpet --> Blue coral spot magic
Seats ---> Blue coral Dry clean
Engine --> diluted simple green and scrub brush(cover alternator)
Car wash -->Meguiars car wash soap with conditioner
Wash mitt ---> Sheep skin wash mitt
Drying --> The Absorber and a wet/dry vac for water in crevasses
Rim cleaner-->turtle wax or meguairs wheel cleaner, then wax
Tire cleaner --> Bleach white, scrub, armorall detailers advantage
Wax --> after caly bar/polish, 2 coats Meguairs Yellow #26, then #34 Final inspection or quik detailer spray between waxings.

Walmart or Autozone will have them all. FOr chrome, Turtle wax chrome polish OR Mothers Chrome/Mag polish.

Last edited by Green_98; 03-26-2003 at 12:17 AM.
Old 03-26-2003, 12:32 AM
Shine (interior) ---> nothing
Cleaning---> Dawn for prewax and polish, plain old hot water rest of time
Windows--> 2 coats of polish and wax (water will not stick to them)
Carpet --> Lighterfluid for stains - use central vac to keep clean
Seats ---> nothing
Engine --> Hotwater
Car wash --> yes, at home
Wash mitt ---> no thank's
Drying --> a must (microfiber towels)
Rim cleaner--> Dawn (microfiber towel)
Tire cleaner --> Dawn (eagle 1)
Wax --> #26 meguiers and Meguiers polish before

Old 03-26-2003, 10:30 AM
Californina Water Blade for the first pass at drying.

Microfiber mit & 100% Boar's Hair Brush for washing

Menzerna Final Polish

Souveran Paste Wax (Worth every penny of the $70 price per jar when working on a black car)

Porter-Cable Polisher - No arm can do what this can!

Old 03-26-2003, 11:01 AM
Next time I do mine up, I'll go crazy on the interior as well. Didn't do much this time except shampoo the mats and windex the windshield and dust/vacuum it.

Also, I might go back to hand waxing just to see the difference between that and the buffer. Might also try out some new liquids since last time I was disappointed in not being able to get my hands on a lot of the stuff I wanted.

Old 03-26-2003, 11:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by NeedFourSpeed
Californina Water Blade for the first pass at drying.

Porter-Cable Polisher - No arm can do what this can!
Yeah that Water Blade cuts down on the drying time

Wish I had Vin's photoshopped pic now. Her arm works wonders

Old 03-26-2003, 01:18 PM
Re: Truck washing question?

Originally posted by u blinkd
Hey guys quick question. Does anyone know if you can put the sheepskin wash mitts in the washing machine?
To answer your question yes you can wash them. Well at least i have. But I don't think your supposed to use fabric softner on them, or any thing else you use on your paint.

Old 03-26-2003, 01:34 PM
Wish I had Vin's photoshopped pic now. Her arm works wonders [/B][/QUOTE]

I should have seen that coming !

Old 03-26-2003, 01:35 PM
The absorber? Tell me more.

Jerry

Old 03-26-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Jerry Jordan
The absorber? Tell me more.

Jerry
dude, it's awesome....

it's kinda like cardboard when it drys, but you just hold it, spray it with the hose and get it real wet..... twist out the water, then dry your car with it, and periodically twist out the water, it's so great, never leaves streaks, never leaves spots of water, it's the best thing since white bread..... i'll never use a towel again!

Old 03-26-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by MISTERgadget
Here's What I do:

I wash the truck with 2 chenille wash mitts like these:

I go from top to bottm and use one mitt for rocker panels and up, another for rockers and down. Keeps the dirt from the lower area off the top panels and prevents swirls.

I use a wheel brush similar to this one for the wheels and wheelwells.

Everything up to this point is done with Meguiars Gold Class car wash shampoo and conditioner.

I dry the truck off using a california water blade for the large areas and then an absorber. Always make sure there's no dirt at all left, if not the blade will drag it across and create scratches. If I need to dry it off quickly and get a lot of the water out of the crevices, a quick 0-100-0 blast does the trick

I don't use armor all or anything like it ANYWHERE on the car. IMHO, the high gloss look it gives not only makes stuff look cheap and plasticky, but it also makes them slippery, and most importantly, turns plastics white with use os they won't look good unless you use it. Just wash the plastic and dry it normally. I do use some 303 protectant on my soft tonneau cover. It doesnt give it any gloss or nicer look at all, it's just a sunscreen to prevent fading. You can find 303 at boat shops. (west marine, boaters world)

On the interior I vacuum and use meguiars quick detailer to wipe down the plastic trim and billet (yay!) and the doorjambs. I haven't had the truck long enough to deal with seat or carpet stains.

In the engine bay I'll dust is and clean off everything, including the underside of the hood, with more meguiars quick detailer.

On the tires I'll use bleche white to clean them. I don't use any tire dressing since i can't find the meguiars low-gloss endurance anymore. it wasn't too shiny and didnt sling. Let me know what you all have tried that doesnt sling.

Polish, glaze and wax: Meguiars scratch x, meguiars number 7, and meg's #26 or gold class, depends on my mood lol.
\

Have you ever seen american pcycho? Well you sound like his intro to the movie.

Quick Reply: Truck washing question?