Lightning

How do I correctly read the trans dipstick?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003 | 05:34 PM
|
Question How do I correctly read the trans dipstick?

This may seem like a stupid question to some, but how do I read it? I installed the FT VB this weekend and I jacked it up by the pass. side of the truck to get under it. I have a 9qt drain pan that did not completely fill up after draining the trans. I finished up the install and put the truck back on the ground. I then put 7qts of Mercon in it. I started it up and shifted through each gear slowly for about 30 secs and then turned the motor off. I waited a couple of minutes and then checked it. The whole thing is covered with trans fluid. Of course I wiped it off and rechecked it and it looked the same. I then took it for a 15 minutes test drive. Shifted fine through all the gears. I pulled back in the garage and checked it again. The side with the cold/hot fill marks was completely covered. I then looked at the other side and it only went half way up the hot area. I will recheck it after it sits and cools awhile. What do you guys think, any ideas.

Old 03-29-2003 | 05:46 PM
Banned
Check the trans fluid wth the truck running on a level road.

Old 03-29-2003 | 06:14 PM
Cool

Yup, what he said. Transmission fluid gets checked with motor running. Engine oil gets checked with motor off. If the trans is in the hatched area on the stick when you check it, leave it there. The reason the stick was all covered with fluid when you pulled it out the first time was because the dipstick tube gets loaded with it on the sides and it takes a while for it to all go down. Engine oil dipstick tube doesnt do that, I guess case its so much thinner. Mike

Old 03-29-2003 | 07:34 PM
Originally posted by SLP 97 CAMARO SS GUY
Yup, what he said. Transmission fluid gets checked with motor running. Engine oil gets checked with motor off. If the trans is in the hatched area on the stick when you check it, leave it there. The reason the stick was all covered with fluid when you pulled it out the first time was because the dipstick tube gets loaded with it on the sides and it takes a while for it to all go down. Engine oil dipstick tube doesnt do that, I guess case its so much thinner. Mike
about 30 secs and then turned the motor off.

FM beat me to it.

Dan

Old 03-29-2003 | 07:40 PM
Talking

I just thought of something. The reason the engine oil dipstick tube doesnt get loaded with oil on the sides like the trans. tube does is because you dont fill the oil through there, you fill it through the oil cap, duhhhhhhh on my part, hehe. Mike

Old 03-29-2003 | 08:24 PM
Originally posted by SLP 97 CAMARO SS GUY
I just thought of something. The reason the engine oil dipstick tube doesnt get loaded with oil on the sides like the trans. tube does is because you dont fill the oil through there, you fill it through the oil cap, duhhhhhhh on my part, hehe. Mike
LOL! I started to point that out to you but I'm a nice guy --just ask Rusty.

Dan

Old 03-29-2003 | 08:33 PM
|
Originally posted by Flying ****
Check the trans fluid wth the truck running on a level road.
That is it. I went out and started the truck up and then checked it. It was in the cold area. I drove the truck for about 30mins and then checked it again with the motor running. It was in the middle of the hot range. I added 1/2 quart and will check it in the morning.

Thanks guys

Oh I also want to add that the FT vavle body kicks a$$, but I guess everyone already knows that.

Old 03-30-2003 | 09:43 AM
Originally posted by RAN JR
That is it. I went out and started the truck up and then checked it. It was in the cold area. I drove the truck for about 30mins and then checked it again with the motor running. It was in the middle of the hot range. I added 1/2 quart and will check it in the morning.

Thanks guys

Oh I also want to add that the FT vavle body kicks a$$, but I guess everyone already knows that.
Not only 'level pavement but get the fluid warm(20 mins. of driving) plus when you stop, take the trans thru all(reverse too) the gears(from Park, back to Park) for a second or two with the brake on. Then, with the eng. still running(in park), check for the correct fluid level--don't put in too much!

Dan

Last edited by LIGHTNINROD; 03-30-2003 at 12:06 PM.

Quick Reply: How do I correctly read the trans dipstick?