Lightning

Spout Connector?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003 | 12:23 PM
|
Question Spout Connector?

Flying **** says there is a "spout connector" on the L that can be used to adjust the idle speed... I have looked everywhere but cannot find one. Does anyone know anything about this?

Old 03-30-2003 | 12:41 PM
There is no SPOUT (stands for SPark OUTput) connector on our trucks. The Gen 1 Lightnings have spout connectors, and does almost every Ford with a distributor. Pulling the SPOUT kills the PCM's timing control, and makes the motor run at base timing (i.e. mechanical distributor timing only).

On most DIS EEC5 cars, there is no spout. But some have what's called an Octane Shorting Bar, which is just a SPOUT plug that serves a different purpose. Pulling the shorting bar will take 3 degrees of timing away. It was kind of Ford's attempt for a "quick" pinging solution for cars that had detonation problems due to poor gas or high altitudes back in the mid 90s.

Neither of these are found on our trucks though.

Old 03-30-2003 | 12:53 PM
|
Thanks Sal... that explains why I could not find one!
Is there a way to adjust the idle speed without using a chip? Can you just use the throttle stop screw to raise RPMs and adjust the TPS output to <1.0 VDC?
I would like to slightly raise idle speed to reduce the blower noise associated with a 4# pulley...

Thanks!
Sammy

Old 03-30-2003 | 01:02 PM
Well, althought I never recommened it, you COULD do it manually. You can kick the throttle plate open a tad more, as long as you make sure the TPS voltage at closed throttle stays under 1.05 volts.

Old 03-30-2003 | 03:38 PM
Banned
I used the word SPOUT to describe the CONNECTOR hanging off the IAC.

Located the IAC valve hanging off the pass side of the upper plenum. Yank the damn connector off. Raise your idle up a quarter turn... plug the connector back in. check to see if you reached the desired rpm... Its not rocket science.

Old 03-30-2003 | 04:49 PM
|
Originally posted by Flying ****
I used the word SPOUT to describe the CONNECTOR hanging off the IAC.

Located the IAC valve hanging off the pass side of the upper plenum. Yank the damn connector off. Raise your idle up a quarter turn... plug the connector back in. check to see if you reached the desired rpm... Its not rocket science.
Damn ****, didn't mean to get you fired up man! Just trying to find out more about the good info you provided...
So you are raising the idle by the throttle stop screw? If so the TPS voltage should probably be checked/adjusted afterwards. Also what is the reason behind disconnecting the IAC valve while making the adjustment?

Quick Reply: Spout Connector?