Lightning

A/F guage accuracy

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003 | 06:01 PM
|
A/F guage accuracy

I've heard it's useless but after reading the directions it does pretty much what it says. When i get on it it reads on the rich side and then leans out when backing off. At idle and normal driving it bounces around. Sure it doesn't give a numerical reading but it seems to me that rich at WOT is a good sign!!!!!

Old 04-04-2003 | 06:16 PM
Absolutely true. The reason for the cruise bounce is because it is a narrow band O2 sensor. This simply means that through a large voltage the AF is still 14.7. The nice part is that at WOT it stays green.

Curious how far the bounce goes on you gauge, and what temp thermostat are you using.

Old 04-04-2003 | 06:20 PM
If you want to know if you're running rich at WOT just look at your exhaust tips. No need to buy a gauge unless you are going to get actual numeric numbers.

Old 04-04-2003 | 06:31 PM
Old 04-04-2003 | 06:55 PM
Originally posted by cyntaxx
If you want to know if you're running rich at WOT just look at your exhaust tips. No need to buy a gauge unless you are going to get actual numeric numbers.
Not exactly true.

If anything fuel wise is being restricted an AF gauge will tell you immediately. Examples are all over this board on how 1/4 tank of fuel at the drag strip is great for the 1/8th and horrible on the 1/4 due to leaning the engine out. Also a fuel filter will do a similiar thing. This is the very reason why I run 3 gauges. Boost (for obvious reasons), AF, and fuel pressure.

Old 04-04-2003 | 06:58 PM
And, the tips get black/sooty because of the unwanted oil being burned as it winds its way down thru the intake.............

Dan

Old 04-04-2003 | 07:43 PM
|
True IMO as well. For whatever reason my exhaust tip's have never gotten real sooty even when stock (2002). I used to sweat that it was lean lean lean but do not think that's ever been the case. With the #4 pounder and TR6's it didn't change much, with #6 pounder, Denso IT-22's and Long tubes, etc i still just get a "mild" residue even after a WOT. My plug's look ok to me and have had no detonation (JDM tuned Superchip) in any weather cold or hot. I have a 170 degree thermostat. The bounce is pretty much back and forth at mild accelerating and then goes all green (rich) when i boost at all, and then show's red (lean) when backing off. At idle it kinda jumps between rich/lean/stoich as the idle varies slightly. I look forward to seeing this thing at night! I also installed it with the "pigtail" for the 02 harness and it took all of 5 minutes and no splicing to the stock cable wire.

Quick Reply: A/F guage accuracy