Lightning

Anyone tried this converter

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003 | 01:29 PM
Re: Re: Re: Anyone tried this converter?

Originally posted by Factory_Tech
We was all standn' around lookn' at how purty it was! Best looking converter I ever saw, and it's hard to explain about a tranny dyno, but it looked like it worked pretty well while we tested it.

G
Cool! I meant to ask you how the dyno test went, now I guess I know. So when's my cooling kit going to be ready?

Old 05-27-2003 | 06:04 PM
|
Alphadoggy,
Are you using the 3000 stall? or another custom stall?

Old 05-27-2003 | 07:30 PM
Well I just installed a Circle-D built here in Houston and netted a .06 in 60fts leaving at 1500 RPM. Its a 2500 stall, but didnt want to re-learn the tree lights all over again and at 1500 I stayed between .517 and .555 all day. I am also running 4:10s and the stall won't net as much with the lower gear as it will with the taller ones. The .06 netted me a full .15 in the 1/4 mile after comparing to older runs in the same weather conditions. A .50 gain in the 1/4 is usually true with highly modded cars, light weight and taller stalls like 4000-5000. I don't believe any Lightning picked up .50 with any stall. BTW the Circle-D is a 10.5 on a 12.5 converter with a single clutch plate and has the 54 sq. in. liner receiently released by GM.

Old 05-27-2003 | 08:31 PM
Originally posted by HIHOAG
Alphadoggy,
Are you using the 3000 stall? or another custom stall?
Custom. 2600 stall with 1.8 str.

Old 05-27-2003 | 10:53 PM
Originally posted by cyntaxx
I know the Vette boys have sung praises for Yank convertors...

I got one in my C5. Dropped an easy.5 in 1/4mi. The converter I got actually lowers the torque multiplication and raises the stall to 3500rpms. This is perfect for the LS1. Gets you into the rpm power range w/o blowing off the tires with a high torque mult.
But the Lightning is another story..... These engines allready make a ton of torque and are hard to hook up when stock. So a higher torque mult. would make nice a nice smoke show As far as raising the stall,,, these engines allready make a ton of torque down low, so there would be no benefit in raising the stall speed- you would loose usefull power producing rpm... So I dont know how a Yank(or any other converter) would work out in a Lightning. Maybe a set of slicks and other traction improvements would benefit a converter. But what about on the street?
Does anybody know the stock Lightning stall/torque mult.(str) of the stock unit? Also, at what rpm is the Lightning making its most HP/torque? That would be the ideal stall speed. On a LS1, the engine comes to life around 3500rpms=3500rpm stall. This converter in a LS1 will run mid 12's all day-traction permitting.
I'd buy a converter in a heartbeat for the Lightning if it could knock off .5 and work good on the street. But more str=more wheelspin and I dont drive around w/slicks on the street.

Old 05-28-2003 | 04:00 AM
I like the yank, don't get me wrong, but I make a fairly nice oconverter, too. I got this e-mail from a guy who just installed one,

Gregg I thought I would check to see if you got the converter yet?

I also went to the track Sat. and the Total Domination converter has yielded me a solid .2 tenths reduction in my 60' time. I might be able to get a little lower once I figure out the best rpm to stall it so my Hoosier 28X10's will hold it...I was running 1.6's all day.. :-) Oh also it is still quiet like stock and no vibration...

Just posted this to show a real world result.

G

Quick Reply: Anyone tried this converter