Lightning

Anti-seize grease w/ Bassani cat-back

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2003 | 10:13 AM
|
Question Anti-seize grease w/ Bassani cat-back

I just purchased a Bassani cat-back and I plan to put it on this weekend. I noticed that it came with a little tube of anti-seize grease.
Do I put this on the threads of all of the bolts that came with the system including the pipe clamp bolts?

Thanks,
Eric

Old 04-25-2003 | 11:03 AM
Screw those band clamps

If I had to do it over again, I'd go to the store prior to the install and buy 4x2.5" u bolt muffler clamps... or re-use the 4 clamps off the stock exhaust.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...threadid=85334

I only used the anti-seize on the connecting bolts for the tailpipes. Muffler clamps are easier to snap off than thread off anyways

Old 04-25-2003 | 11:54 AM
what he said about the Bassani clamps, unless you have a driveshaft loop like the PSP, the exhaust will get f-uped when it blows off.

I used the never-seize on the round gaskets between the mufflers and tailpipes

Old 04-25-2003 | 12:14 PM
I'd put it on the bolt threads and on the pieces that slide over each other if you have enough.

I know you don't have a choice but here is the best ant-seize I've ever used.

http://www.bmpd.com/bmw/parts/catalog/tuneup_11a.shtml

Dan

Old 04-25-2003 | 03:08 PM
|
Clamps?

Can someone explain the problem with the Bassani band clamps to me?
Is it an issue of getting them tight enough? I assume they expand by some factor when they get hot and one would need to re-tighten them while they are hot.
It would seem that they would be better than the standard U bolt clap because they squeeze all the way around the pipe. The U bolt clamp just pushes on either side at the two tangential points of the pipe. I would just like to hear a more logical explanation to why the clamps do not work well as opposed to someone just saying that they suck. I guess it's just the engineer in me.

If the clamps are that big of a problem maybe I should have the joints welded. Any thoughts?

Last edited by ema100c; 04-25-2003 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-25-2003 | 03:26 PM
The ones they sent me wouldn't tighten enough. If you tightened them up all the way, the muffler could just slide off no matter how much you tightened them. I found it easier to spend the $4 on u bolt clamps and be done with it.

Old 04-25-2003 | 03:37 PM
|
I might try tightening the clamps all the way and see if the pipe or the clamps still move. A buddy of mine had a good idea for me. I told him that I was afraid the pipes might come off and hang down if the clamps don't work. He said I should rig up a temporary safety wire on the x pipe and muffler just in case they come loose while I am testing them.

Old 04-25-2003 | 04:41 PM
The clamps don't seem to hold the pipes tight enough. There are a lot of stories of them blowing off or just plain leaking. I used the heavy duty 3/8" ones from NAPA. I used the Bassani's on my Mustang and never had a problem though.

If you look, the clamps are a thinner metal than the pipes....

Old 04-25-2003 | 06:46 PM
Re: Clamps?

Originally posted by ema100c
Can someone explain the problem with the Bassani band clamps to me?
Is it an issue of getting them tight enough? I assume they expand by some factor when they get hot and one would need to re-tighten them while they are hot.
It would seem that they would be better than the standard U bolt clap because they squeeze all the way around the pipe. The U bolt clamp just pushes on either side at the two tangential points of the pipe. I would just like to hear a more logical explanation to why the clamps do not work well as opposed to someone just saying that they suck. I guess it's just the engineer in me.

If the clamps are that big of a problem maybe I should have the joints welded. Any thoughts?
Looking at the clamps, you would think that they would hold better than the standard U-bolt muffler clamps. But that not the case. I pulled down the Bassani clamps with an air ratchet and they still blew off at WOT. Put the u-bolt clamps on and never had a problem

Quick Reply: Anti-seize grease w/ Bassani cat-back