Lightning

Tuners going to WFC6???

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2003 | 12:01 AM
|
Tuners going to WFC6???

I am looking for a tuner going to WFC6 that could possibly do a custom tune on my truck sometime during that weekend. I am already using a Superchip flip chip but will buy whatever chip I need to get a custom tune for about 3 different set-ups. Here is a list of my current mods:
built short block w/
manley rods
cp pistons
ported stock heads w/
ferrea 1mm oversized valves
stock cams
jl 5lb lower
2.80" upper
jdm long tube headers & high flow cats
electric fan & water pump
accufab throttle body
monster box tranny
jdm cold air intake
boost bypass
breather mod
I also have an 8lb lower sitting in the garage that I would like to use strictly for racing but my air/fuel numbers are already 12.4:1 on my current set-up so I can't put it on without some tuning. Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 04-27-2003 | 12:07 AM
As a Title Sponsor of the event, we will be there of course. I am not sure if we will be able to do a custom tune on the spot, but I've got a pretty good relationship with the dyno guy that sets up, and he is usually a few spots from us on the midway. We might be able to arrange something with him. I'd be happy to do a tune for you either way, I'm sure we could get you a great tune even without having the truck hooked up to equipment, but I'd be happy to do what I can for you.

Old 04-27-2003 | 12:28 AM
|
Thanks for the reply Sal. I will probably take you up on that. I just wanted to make sure that there would be a Tuner there with enough time to take care of it. I know there is a lot to take care of at an event like this with tons of people needing things done or at least thats been my experience at the last 3 FFW's I've been to. I just want a good safe tune that will get me into the high 11's with the 8lb'er and/or possibly with the 5. With all the money I've spent on this truck I should be in the 11's already and I think my tune is holding me back. Thanks...

Old 04-27-2003 | 12:30 AM
You know, what might be easier on both of us, is if I did a chip for you now. Then you hit a dyno near you, get back to me with the data, and I can reburn the chip based on your dyno and you should be good to go from there. This way there is no rushing at an event, and you can come to WFC, race, and enjoy yourself. Just a thought.

Old 04-27-2003 | 09:14 AM
|
That would be ok but the guys who own the only dyno in Memphis don't have a clue how to use it. They went WOT from a dead stop through all the gears. I thought my truck was going to end up in their showroom. They swore that my truck made 470rwhp and 600rwtq with only a 4lb lower chip & filter. These idiots were reading the spikes from where it shifted. I vowed never to use them again. I hope you can understand my disgust with them.

Old 04-27-2003 | 09:43 AM
There are TOO many gear heads in Memphis to only have one Dyno... Trouble is they are tough to find sometimes... Keep looking....

Or go back to that place and TELL them how to Dyno the truck. Get it in 3rd OD off gently get it up to about 3000 rpm and let her rip ....

Doug

Old 04-27-2003 | 12:34 PM
Everyone posts times yet you can't compare unless they are at the same track and about the same time. Track conditions, temp, barometer, humidity, and altitude all affect times.
Besides that you are only running 15psi boost at the most. I'd be happy with a 12.1 with 15psi boost with stock blower.
BTW, there is nothing wrong with trying different tuners to see if they can get your truck running quicker. I do the same thing.

Old 04-27-2003 | 02:22 PM
Cool

Jimmy,

I straightened them out later that day when they dynoed mine but the important thing is they don't have the A/F sensor at Lucky's Motorsport.

The other guy in town is a joke, too. Dave's Honda Haven mobile dynojet. He's got the A/F sensor but dynoed Damon's truck in 2nd gear. Damon had to go by his place to get a good printout. The first one was in portrait mode. When he went to get the second printout in landscape mode that was when he noticed the speed never exceeded 80 mph. That's when we realized the reason for the low numbers. It was in second gear.

Doug's right. We see too many bada$$ cars at the track for there not to be other choices. We just have to find them. We have Comp Cams, Lunati and a couple of other smaller cam companys here in town. There has got to be more choices than the 3 we know about.

The third being Hypertech which has a state of the art dyno but they are not going to let outsiders use it. Their Ford products suck because Heffington is a GM man all the way. I had a friend who use to work there as head of engineering. He tried his best to get them to spent more time and money on Ford products but it was like beating a dead horse. Needless to say he finally left and is in reseach and development at Comp Cams.

It looks like next time one of us is at the track we need to start bending those big boys ears to see what they know about dynos.

Old 04-27-2003 | 03:20 PM
|
Originally posted by LTNBOLT
It looks like next time one of us is at the track we need to start bending those big boys ears to see what they know about dynos.
Good idea. Surely there's somebody in Memphis that knows how to dyno an automatic.

Old 04-27-2003 | 06:48 PM
Jimmy,
When you do find a place in Memphis that has a dyno and will let us do some pulls you will have to let your boys know. Like Chuck said, Hypertech has one but they will not let anyone but them use it. Keep us updated on local dynos.

Later
Damon

Old 04-27-2003 | 08:38 PM
Old 04-27-2003 | 08:47 PM
Cool

Thanks Dan.

I never really thought about using a search engine to find a dyno in Mempho.

Lucky's isn't on there.

We know about Dave's and Hypertech.

Comp Cams is worth a try. Jimmy maybe they can hook you up with some of their new Modular Motor Cams or something.

Old 04-27-2003 | 09:30 PM
there a great one here in Birmingham. Thats only a couple hours for you guys.

www.walkerdynotune.com

Old 04-27-2003 | 11:19 PM
|
Originally posted by LTNBOLT
Comp Cams is worth a try. Jimmy maybe they can hook you up with some of their new Modular Motor Cams or something.
That would be cool. Should've done them while I had the motor apart. Hind site is 20/20 or something.

Quick Reply: Tuners going to WFC6???