Lightning

Water Pump/Electric Fan Arguments

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2003 | 04:21 PM
My Red-Rocket,
You realy should re-read what I posted earlier. Just trying to help.

Also it doesn't make any sense to get a dual fan setup, and wire just 1 fan. Although it would work because even at 2750 CFM would be more that enough flow for our trucks.

Surely somebody else from NM could let you know what their running.

Old 05-02-2003 | 06:39 PM
Air1kdf ... You going to race at Clay City Sunday after the car show?

Old 05-02-2003 | 06:58 PM
air1kdf,

Sorry I wasn't too clear, I was hoping that I coud run only one side of the flex-a-lite along with the intercooler fans while I'm in the staging lanes and while under normal conditions run both sides of the flex-a-lite and IC fans. I want to make sure that in both conditions I won't draw too much power and cause damage to my electrical system.

Old 05-02-2003 | 10:02 PM
It can be done.

Mine works like this.

2 speed fan.
3 pos switch inside the cab. Low fan, Auto, Hi fan.
Hi is connected to the AC,
Low is connected to a 185-170 thermal switch from jegs.

Here's what I do. Turn my fan on Hi before staging. Return it to auto after I'm staged.

BTW an electric water pump can really help cool your engine, and add some more ponies.

Cliff,
I would love to get over there. Looks like T-Storms Sunday afternoon though. I'm looking for any reason to make it over there. I haven't seen that new launch pad yet either. Keep me posted.

Old 05-02-2003 | 11:17 PM
Red Rocket, on the Flexa lite kit, you have to do 100% of the wiring, the fans arent even wired together from the factory, much less the controller. The fan kit comes with a 40 amp inline fuse and 8 gauge feed wire, so I assume it pulls some serious amps, but as far as pulling too much air with two fans?? Thats like saying you have too much horsepower or something!

Old 05-03-2003 | 01:20 AM
Thanks air1kdf for the wiring info. Sorry to keep bugging but I was wondering if I’m running the flexa lite with my intercooler fans while I’m staging would this drain my battery significantly or possibly damage my electrical systems?

Old 05-03-2003 | 05:26 AM
I'm looking for more info on the underdrive pullies. Doesn't Ruslow have a power steering pully as well? Nobody seems too excited about these? WTF, thats free horsepower! Also, as far as the E-pump...the argument I heard (take it for what its worth) is that you can do long term damage/wear to your daily driver...as she is putting out full cooling at idle..or say...start up, when you want your motor to warm up fast so as not to do damage because of cold oil and moving parts (cold clearance)

Old 05-03-2003 | 06:44 AM
The argument against some underdrive pulley setups would be IMHO, that some use a smaller diameter harmonic damper to achieve the end result. I spent twenty five years in the business as owner of BHJ Dynamics, one of the best known manufacturers of racing harmonic dampers. FoMoCo probably spent a million developing the damper on these engines to protect the rotating assembly from self destruction due to vibration, a smaller one is not going to do the job properly. Therefore, I would only consider those setups that individually fit each driven accessory.

As for your fear of the electric pump damaging your engine due to 'overcooling'. In the final analysis, your cooling water flow rate during warmup, is controlled by the thermostat. Full flow is not achieved until the engine is fully warmed up and the thermostat is wide open.

Old 05-03-2003 | 05:53 PM
Yo, anyone please! I really want the flexa lite fan but i would like to know if i use it with twin spal intercooler fans will this damage my electrical system and/or seriously drain my battery while i'm staging, due to the fact that the flexa lite draws so much juice. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Water Pump/Electric Fan Arguments