Lightning

4V Motors for Lightnings

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003 | 08:07 AM
i'm not saying it won't be cool, but a built 2v and an aftermarket blower are going to give more power than 99.5% of the people will ever be able to put to the ground,

spend that big 4v dollars on aftermarket suspension stuff, go with an aje front end like johnnies getting, a race tranny, etc... and get your 2v heads ported, custom long tubes, etc..

Old 05-12-2003 | 09:39 AM
beefcake

that's they way to do it terry,that 4v advertice sounds like somebody needs experimental rabbbits

Old 05-12-2003 | 10:27 AM
|
To answer some questions:

No, we do not have this setup running yet. To get the manifolds made is a very expensive proposition, and we thought that if we could get around 20 or 30 people around the country to commit to the project, it would make for some really cool, and fast trucks.

The intakes will be cast. This job is being engineered by a gentleman whose firm already does a lot of work for FoMoCo.

We will incur the upfront expenses as long as we have commitments (with deposits) for sales of the units being produced.

The intake WILL accomodate the existing blowers because the 140 has the same mounting plate, for obvious reasons.

According to the math, the 4v setup with a stroked (358ci) motor, 28lbs of boost, and the proper cams, should produce well over 900 HP.

Old 05-12-2003 | 10:43 AM
We're talking a very key advantage......Aluminum Block!

I'm not a vendor, nor have support of any vendors besides SHM Motorsports!

You guys look at this:

I run at 5500-feet elevation....Not Sea-level or a bit higher like most run!

No humidity either!

So yes JLP went faster.....Thats his business is to make things go fast, this is just a hobby for me!

And I tend to look past those types of comments!

When I can get some serious dyno time then you'll see my numbers come down big time!

Good luck You'all!

Old 05-12-2003 | 10:43 AM
Originally posted by TimBurntire
According to the math, the 4v setup with a stroked (358ci) motor, 28lbs of boost, and the proper cams, should produce well over 900 HP.
That's what I am talking about!!!!

Old 05-12-2003 | 10:47 AM
Originally posted by MISTERgadget
Easter: Maybe he was running at high altitude with high humidity and high heat and crappy traction? Who knows?
you can do a bench racing comparison with NHRA corrected numbers, but the only true comparison would be running them side by side.

What is the weight of the truck? Also, his truck is, "...not a daily driver..."

So, here is the question. Why spend that amount of money on a conversion when no one has any time slips other than a 10.97 or a 10.22@137ph(corrected)?

Last edited by easterisland; 05-12-2003 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-12-2003 | 04:45 PM
Originally posted by easterisland
What is the weight of the truck? Also, his truck is, "...not a daily driver..."

So, here is the question. Why spend that amount of money on a conversion when no one has any time slips other than a 10.97 or a 10.22@137ph(corrected)?
agreed, with 28 psi, you should be making nutty hp without 4v heads,

again, i'll go back to my cobra, it was a 4v, but with a centrifical, it was making 700+ crank hp at 17.5 psi, with another psi, on a 4.6 i would have been making somewhere around 900 hp myself,

with the 5.4's bigger displacement, 28psi should net close to that hp anyway, however, the 2v will be netting the truck more torque which the truck needs anyway

roots type blowers make more torque anyway, i was making with a 4v 4.6 562 rwhp and 486 rwtq with a centrifical, a roots would have brought the torque closer to the 562 had i went that route, however, 2v making roughly the same hp with a centrifical were making those kind of torque #'s

Old 05-12-2003 | 05:31 PM
A good comparision would be Pete's 03 Cobra with a Kenne Bell on it. I believe the car is maing over 700rwhp without nitrous, and with the larger displacement....

Old 05-12-2003 | 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Ayrton
A good comparision would be Pete's 03 Cobra with a Kenne Bell on it. I believe the car is maing over 700rwhp without nitrous, and with the larger displacement....
petes car is a 4.6 not a 5.4, even if it's stroked a bit, it's not the same comparison

a 4.6 2v vs 4v and a 5.4 4v vs 2v is a fair comparison

when lidio turned up the boost and fine tuned my cobra with the auto, he was also doing a 2v with a very similar setup,

i was making again 562 and 486, that was with ported 4v heads

the guy with the 2v ported heads was making around 570 rwhp also, however he was making over 540 rwtq

the main difference between the 2 cars was 2v vs 4v, i couldn't believe he was making more torque,

the 4v are great revers, but that is not what you need in a lightning engine, you are simply not going to be shifting that high, especially with the roots blower

if you look at petes car, where a car like mine needed a 6000 stall to really be effective, petes car makes the torque much lower and uses a lower stall,

here is one of petes older dyno's

my cobra made peak power at about 7300 rpms, pete is peaking on that dyno around 5700 rpms, it is sick power, but the high revving heads aren't really needed, i wouldn't be surprised if a good set of 2v heads wouldn't make as much power

and, if you look at the torque, it smashes the HP

Old 05-12-2003 | 06:00 PM
We're talking a very key advantage......Aluminum Block!
Where did an aluminum 5.4 block come from? I know Ford plans to sell them through the Motorsprorts parts program but didn't realize they were available.

Old 05-12-2003 | 09:37 PM

Old 05-12-2003 | 11:18 PM
tim burtiere

man that hp is going up real fast we started @ 750 now we are @ 1000 ,mr tim all this & you didn't get to the cost of the manifold .we know you want a 4v in you're truck & you dont want to pay full price for the making of the casting,tell us how much $$$ for it,leave it up to the buyer how he builds his 4v.

Old 05-12-2003 | 11:23 PM
Beefcake,

My point was simply that Pete was using a roots style blower on top of a 4 valve set up with an automatic, so if Pete is able to get 700+ out of a 4.6, then what would the extra displacement bring…

Old 05-12-2003 | 11:23 PM
Beefcake you are to stuck on one thing. "Torque"

Torque does get you moving but alot of it is not always a good thing. If it was everyone would have some mean powerstrokes stuffed in there lightnings. My Lightning right now is making 540lbft of torqe at 3300rpm's. What I would like is more hp even if I did not improve my torque but could add 100-200 more hp I would rather have that than 100ftlb's more torque. That hp in the higher rpms is what get's you that mph in the 1/4. The big reason for the 4v heads is air flow. If you want the big HP numbers you need to get all the air you can in the engine. The ported heads I have now flowed 280cfm but would rather have a set of heads that flowed 350cfm or more and the only way you will get that is to go with the 4v heads. If the name of the game is HP then the 4v heads are the way to go. Yes you can make lots of power with the 2v heads but they have there limitation. Those who will want to go beyound what the stock componants will do are going to have to step up to better heads. If the 2v heads are so great why don't you see the top mustang guys running them?

Old 05-12-2003 | 11:28 PM
Banned
Originally posted by beefcake
petes car is a 4.6 not a 5.4, even if it's stroked a bit, it's not the same comparison

a 4.6 2v vs 4v and a 5.4 4v vs 2v is a fair comparison

when lidio turned up the boost and fine tuned my cobra with the auto, he was also doing a 2v with a very similar setup,

i was making again 562 and 486, that was with ported 4v heads

the guy with the 2v ported heads was making around 570 rwhp also, however he was making over 540 rwtq

the main difference between the 2 cars was 2v vs 4v, i couldn't believe he was making more torque,

the 4v are great revers, but that is not what you need in a lightning engine, you are simply not going to be shifting that high, especially with the roots blower

if you look at petes car, where a car like mine needed a 6000 stall to really be effective, petes car makes the torque much lower and uses a lower stall,

here is one of petes older dyno's

my cobra made peak power at about 7300 rpms, pete is peaking on that dyno around 5700 rpms, it is sick power, but the high revving heads aren't really needed, i wouldn't be surprised if a good set of 2v heads wouldn't make as much power

and, if you look at the torque, it smashes the HP

Terry , youre confusing yourself. You cannot compare the TQ figures of a 4V vs a 2V unless you divide the rpm's the cobra makes over the the 2V. If you do your math correctly, you will see your torque will be equal or more as a 2V. I believe most of the 2V's are falling on their nose at 5225 rpm.

Quick Reply: 4V Motors for Lightnings