Lightning

JDM heat exchanger help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 09:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JDM heat exchanger help!

So today I installed(finally) the JDM heat exchanger. The couple problems I have are as followed.

1) When I opened the box there were about 5-6 spots wher a bunch of fins were bent down.

2) I removed the front grill and would like to keep it off(I am probably the only one here who likes it without the grill on), anyway, what can I use (screenwise) that would block rocks and stuff from damaging the heat exchanger?

3) Since the L front bumper and HD front bumper differ, my heat exchanger sticks out from the bottom about an inch, what can i use to hide this?? I noticed that it came with 5 holes with plastic push pins in them, what are these for?

Thanks, Jonathan

Old 05-14-2003, 10:15 PM
Re: JDM heat exchanger help!

Originally posted by 400HPHD
So today I installed(finally) the JDM heat exchanger. The couple problems I have are as followed.

1) When I opened the box there were about 5-6 spots wher a bunch of fins were bent down.

2) I removed the front grill and would like to keep it off(I am probably the only one here who likes it without the grill on), anyway, what can I use (screenwise) that would block rocks and stuff from damaging the heat exchanger?

3) Since the L front bumper and HD front bumper differ, my heat exchanger sticks out from the bottom about an inch, what can i use to hide this?? I noticed that it came with 5 holes with plastic push pins in them, what are these for?

Thanks, Jonathan
1. Use a screwdriver or other straight object to straighten fins.Not uncommon for the fins to bend.

2. You can leave it open. Ricers do all the time. Just check every once in a while for leaks or bent fins. Note: I do not recommend this but I have seen it done.

3.You could paint the bottom of the Heat exchanger Black to make it less noticeable or you could fab up different upper brackets to raise it up.
The 5 holes are for the rubber piece that comes on the Ls that also attach to the front valence and help the flow of air. I do not know if the Harley has one.

Hope this Helps.

VINNIE

Old 05-14-2003, 10:29 PM
thanks vinnie, it helps... can anyone get me the part # for that rubber piece vinnie was talking about??

Old 05-15-2003, 10:04 AM
If you don't have holes in the bottom of the bumper you will have to drill some. The lightning has 5 holes and some push button type things to attach the rubber shield.

Quick Reply: JDM heat exchanger help!