Lightning

Fake Lightning Owners- Post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003 | 05:05 PM
well considering you will end up spending way more turning a 5.4xlt into a lightning (assuming you put a blower on it), than an actual lightning costs...I fail to see why someone would bother. Also, its not just a blower,suspension,body kit, and wheels...the engine is built to higher specs than normal and reinforced to allow for the excessive hp...you cant leave out the fact the drive train is different either. Its overall a GREAT deal for what you pay.

I dont care who does what to their truck what so ever, but I cant deny I shake my head when I see the badges on a non SVT. I dont dislike anyone because they would do that...I just dont understand why you would want to is all ... buts thats my .02 as usual

Old 05-15-2003 | 05:08 PM
I will be jealous when Ford comes out with a full size truck that is a supercab, flareside and supercharged.

Old 05-15-2003 | 05:11 PM
Originally posted by iron horse
No, its un-American to quote someone and then post thoughts that are unrelated to the quote and unfounded like yours.

.......in other words, as far as the "stink'in" badges b.s........for the record, I have no Lightning badges on my truck.........but you would not know that since you did not ask before your last post
mmkay, justify it all you like, it still doesn't change the fact you're trying to make your "original" F150 something it will never be.

My definition of American is saying what you like and not having to justify your answer to someone else. You're free to do so, but that doesn't mean I agree with you, which is also my right as an American.

Old 05-15-2003 | 05:21 PM
I got a lightning bumper on my truck and I worked hard to get it. It cost around $750 dollars just to get the bumper done right. Then when you throw in side skirts you are looking at another 500 dollars plus the exhaust change. That will run you about $400. I don't know what you guys pay for regular cab flareside trucks, but mine was 28 grand in all. For four more you can have a lightning. Plus if you want the motor then you will pay around 5 grand for that, but who can forget the transmission you gotta have. I'd say it would cost you ten grand to turn a regular cab f150 into a lightning and i doubt you would have a warranty on it for when it shot a plug.
As for me i don't like to be called a poser. I don't have no decals claiming my truck is a lightning. I was just riding down the interstate one day and say that bumper coming up on me at about 90 miles an hour and my mouth about dropped. It definately is the baddest bumper ever been made for a pickup. It definately looks wicked coming up in your review.

Old 05-15-2003 | 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Silverstrike
mmkay, justify it all you like, it still doesn't change the fact you're trying to make your "original" F150 something it will never be.

My definition of American is saying what you like and not having to justify your answer to someone else. You're free to do so, but that doesn't mean I agree with you, which is also my right as an American.

Again, as I had to do in another thread, .....this is way too easy!

I am not justifying anything. That is actually one of my main points. This is America, therefore, I will do what I want to my truck when I want to do it, regardless of elitist viewpoints.

I am actually making my F-150 EXACTLY what I want, not what some engineer/marketing team thinks I should have or like. It is actually EXACTLY WHAT IT SHOULD BE, which is a truck that fits my taste and likes. I can not help it, that you can never make your regular cab into a supecab with 4 doors like mine. But, I can and will make my truck as fast or faster than yours. Infact, when I get a lightning, I am sure, I will put modifications in it as well, but wait........according to your logic, if I did that, it would no longer be a Lightning!?!

Before your responded to my post, you should have checked to see if I had these badges that everyone is freak'in out about, but you did not and you were wrong, but you posted anyway, without knowing, that is un-American.

Old 05-15-2003 | 06:01 PM
I remember these conversations in the clubgp.com forum when I owned my '99 GP with the SLP engineering GTX package on it. Other GP owners who didn't want to spend the 3 grand just found a way to find GTX logos (which SLP guards closely and are hard to get without proof of ownership) and slap 'em on their GT, GTP, SE, whatever. To me that person is a poser and looks like a ****, and just pissed off the GP owners who saved their pennies to have the nice GTX package. Same thing with import guys putting type R logos on Hyundais and **** like that. I agree, it is a free country and people can have as much fun as they want with customizing their vehicles, but then putting a logo of a more upscale version of the vehicle on is just plain tacky... and well, sounds stupid but I look down on those people because at that point they are LYING. When you buy an exclusive vehicle, part of the reason is to get a bit of panache by having a car or truck that is uncommon... for someone who buys a standard vehicle and then slaps different logos on... that is a blatant attempt to deceive others. It also cheapens the value of the exclusive vehicle by affecting people's perceptions of what that vehicle is. For example, if I show someone my Lightning and then they say... oh yeah, I saw 5 of those last week... one was a 4 door extendcab, then a yellow one, etc. I would roll my eyes as now the person is confused and wouldn't be as impressed with my truck (And yeah, anyone who buys a limited vehicle is doing it a bit to show off in IMHO). If people have auto envy that much, save up and buy the car or truck you want instead of being a poser. I just don't get it. I would never do that... and have people who "are in the know" snicker because I am a dork. The funny thing is that alot of these people who buy a lesser model and then upgrade wheels, body parts, etc end up spending so much that they almost could have afforded the better vehicle!
So, to sum up... do what you want but stop short of putting "fake" logos on, that just makes you look bad, yo.
And if you do engage in "fake badging" then don't have your feelings get hurt when people are rightfully peeved off at you...

Last edited by jeffsavage; 05-15-2003 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-15-2003 | 06:16 PM
......at least your honest about your view point. But, why do some people view the modification of an F-150, as being the act of posing as a Lightning, when the Lightning is actually a copy of the F-150? .......and is it still an authentic Lighting, if you put a forged aftermarket block or aftermarket blower in it? or what about an aftermarket hood or custom paint job? How can the same small percentage of people argue that modified F-150s are Lightning posers when they themselves are modifying a faster version of an F-150

Old 05-15-2003 | 06:24 PM
The same people fall for the myth of GOD.

Old 05-15-2003 | 06:31 PM
what

DID YOU NOT READ MY POST ON THE FIRST PAGE?

Geesh.
Imitation is the BEST form of flattery people.

and there is a BAD A$$ looking f150 that has been converted to a Lightning, and I will call it now a LIGHTNING. If you don't like it, keep your opinion to yourself.

HERE IT IS:

http://geocities.com/danoid5631/

http://photos.yahoo.com/danoid5631

In MY Book it is now a LIGHTNING!

IRON HORSE:
I believe this is what you were looking for, I'm glad i could be of help. See we aren't all stuck up (blankety blanks).

Old 05-15-2003 | 06:47 PM
You know guys, I've been around for a long time and I don't really get too involved in a lot of these conversations. But, if someone wants to modify their truck then so be it. I honestly don't like the idea of putting the Lightning badge on the the truck, but what the heck. They aren't hurting anyone by doing this, certainly not you guys. And if some "ricer" beats a look a like, then who are they kidding? Themselves I might add. As I for one would question my ability to "kill a Lightning".
I for one wanted a one of a kind truck and did modify it...does it look like a Lightning? I don't think so. I for one wouldn't try, but it is one of a kind, and haven't seen any that look like it in the Tri-state area, and even Texas...Does it turn heads? Hell yeah, and it gets plenty of compliments. But will it every be a Lightning? Hell no! A compliment is all I need. Damn, don't you just love America and it's Freedom of Speech...yall have a great night!

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 05-15-2003 | 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Konig
well considering you will end up spending way more turning a 5.4xlt into a lightning (assuming you put a blower on it), than an actual lightning costs...I fail to see why someone would bother. Also, its not just a blower,suspension,body kit, and wheels...the engine is built to higher specs than normal and reinforced to allow for the excessive hp...you cant leave out the fact the drive train is different either. Its overall a GREAT deal for what you pay.

I dont care who does what to their truck what so ever, but I cant deny I shake my head when I see the badges on a non SVT. I dont dislike anyone because they would do that...I just dont understand why you would want to is all ... buts thats my .02 as usual
Very well said.... I own a 2002 f150 xlt and i wanna make it look good. Probably gonna have a cervini hood put on at the end of this summer. I want my truck to stand out and look aggressive, yet I could care less about having lightning or svt wrote all over it. You can't make a truck what it isn't. It would cost you more money than a lightning and you would get less for it than a lightning.

Old 05-15-2003 | 06:54 PM
Originally posted by iron horse
But, why do some people view the modification of an F-150, as being the act of posing as a Lightning, when the Lightning is actually a copy of the F-150? .......and is it still an authentic Lighting, if you put a forged aftermarket block or aftermarket blower in it? or what about an aftermarket hood or custom paint job? How can the same small percentage of people argue that modified F-150s are Lightning posers when they themselves are modifying a faster version of an F-150

that's like saying a cat is no longer a cat if you shave its fur off. when we mod our Lightnings, they do not suddenly become NOT Lightnings...also nobody has a problem with you guys modding your regular F150s, just dont call it a Lightning or badge it as such unless it is one of the limited run of trucks that SVT builds each year, with the VIN identifying it as a Lightning. while Danoid's truck is undeniably beautiful, fast (has the Lightning drivetrain), and some people may feel it is better looking than a Lightning, it will never BE a Lightning. oh and stop trying to twist words around to make it seem like we're posers of your regular F150s , thats just ridiculous

Last edited by TZRLightning01; 05-15-2003 at 06:58 PM.
Old 05-15-2003 | 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Invalid_access
Very well said.... I own a 2002 f150 xlt and i wanna make it look good. Probably gonna have a cervini hood put on at the end of this summer. I want my truck to stand out and look aggressive, yet I could care less about having lightning or svt wrote all over it. You can't make a truck what it isn't. It would cost you more money than a lightning and you would get less for it than a lightning.
exactly.

Old 05-15-2003 | 07:23 PM
Here you go

There is you a wanne be come and get some boys.

Old 05-15-2003 | 07:26 PM
Danoid5631, you obviously took your time to make that truck look great...great job...nice pics of the bay by the way....

Quick Reply: Fake Lightning Owners- Post!