Lightning

Now the F'ing dealer says my warranty is void because of underdrive pulleys

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003 | 10:30 AM
Originally posted by TXSVTLIGHTNING
keep in mind they (ford & or svt & or your dealer) do look at message boards. I had one of my posts printed out and shown to me while at a dealer getting work done.

Just a FYI.......
Ford certainly has alot of time to waste if they spend hours reading message boards. They should focus on their business and making better vehicles. They are after all very close to Bankruptcy. I haven't been a GM fan in the past but I admire Bob Lutz. He managed to turn Chrysler around and now is focussing strictly on product at GM. This guy knows more about product than anyone else in the industry and is currently the most respected man in Detroit. He is the reason that GM is eating Ford's lunch right now. If Ford doesn't focus on their customers and product soon it's off to the bone yard.

I like SVT but I am not impressed with Ford at the moment. I have no allegiance to any brand and I love alot of cars from various manufacturers.

The service manager at the Ford dealership which I have been going to for years told me that Ford is a very different company and he has had enough with their total lack of customer service. I got the impression that he is about to leave.

Sincerely,

Dion

Last edited by dionisio; 05-21-2003 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-21-2003 | 11:05 AM
C BROWN and red00Lightning,

I also have underdrive pullies and last week my accessory belt tensioner went bad. It was bent so the belt was riding one groove off towards the engine. It took 6K miles for it to do this after install of underdrive pullies. I don't see how it could be underdrive pulley related.

Old 05-21-2003 | 12:58 PM
Originally posted by easterisland
C BROWN and red00Lightning,

I also have underdrive pullies and last week my accessory belt tensioner went bad. It was bent so the belt was riding one groove off towards the engine. It took 6K miles for it to do this after install of underdrive pullies. I don't see how it could be underdrive pulley related.
Welcome to the "club" is there anyone else? What do you think caused it?

Old 05-21-2003 | 01:05 PM
Maybe the belt is too small?

Old 05-21-2003 | 01:13 PM
If a smaller pulley is used them perhaps the spring is not in tension as was designed..

Maybe the tensioner arm bounces and causes vibratios to emanate into the arm....
a small difference in diameter ...machine wise could cause vibration...I would monitor the pullies visually while someone revs the engine through the range...a vibration sensor would help...or just twist a piece of wire around the bracket....not so long and observe the oscillations....pre and post underdrive install...benchmark the pattern with a jig or piece of material that would accept scratches from the end of the rigged needle tip of the wirs so to speak...ensure the wire is located in the same place on the arm for each test.....check for axial and radial anomalies...Sorta like a Bordon tube...
.Assumming the pullies well designed the application may be the problem.

Old 05-21-2003 | 05:45 PM
Underdrive pullies are larger so that the piece attached to spins less, no?

If so, the belt would need to be larger otherwise you are putting more tension on the system.

Daniel

Old 05-21-2003 | 05:49 PM
I did say smaller ..didn't I...

oh well....same principels should appy...

Old 05-21-2003 | 07:05 PM
No not really The ONLY things that spin slower are the P/S and W/P.All else spins the same as stock.As for the belt being to small I use the same belt on mine and have had no problems.as did the test install truck and he is super picky about things.I would say the tensioner was on its last legs OR when you installed the belt you over extended the tensioner.Don't know if that could happen since I have over extended mine and it is still ok.Stan

Old 05-21-2003 | 10:30 PM
Hey Stan; do you think there is a chance the with this setup the tensioner could not put enough tension on the belt and allow it to jump a little, or put too much pressure and cause it to hit the "stop" on the tensioner?

When mine happened I decided that I must have done it by "bending" the arm trying to use it as leverage.

I don't know, but would really like to know what cuased it; I'd buy a different belt if I could prevent it from happening again. There was one thing that suprised me, and that was the local Ford dealer had two of them in stock when I need one.

Old 05-21-2003 | 10:43 PM
Without see it I can nt say but I do know that the belt is within the limit tabs of the tensoner.Stan
Have you had anymore problems since?

Old 05-25-2003 | 10:19 PM
In reference to the underdrive pullies I think everyone needs to read this:

http://www.nloc.net/forum/showthread...549#post349549

Old 05-25-2003 | 10:33 PM
Originally posted by C BROWN

I don't know, but would really like to know what cuased it; I'd buy a different belt if I could prevent it from happening again. There was one thing that suprised me, and that was the local Ford dealer had two of them in stock when I need one.
Apparently they are a shared item....tons off them on tons of models out there. I got one after mine broke from a NAPA store...they had 10 in stock...lol

--wes

Quick Reply: Now the F'ing dealer says my warranty is void because of underdrive pulleys