Lightning

No '04 Lightning, Will Be A F-250 Harley

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2003 | 08:33 AM
DL
Originally posted by BaddKharma
My source informed me that the new "L" will be out as a 06, released late in 05. Due to re-tooling they will be unable to support the current platform for 04 or 05...Makes sense to me, but then again all of our sources could be wrong....
I heard the same thing at WFC6 from SVT Engineer.

No Supercooler, Auto tranny, Standard bench seat or optional console with auto stick. Straight axle in rear, No IRS.

Definetly a 4V motor.

Last edited by DL; 05-22-2003 at 08:36 AM.
Old 05-22-2003 | 08:34 AM
if we look at the progression of the 99-03 L's, we must assume that for SVT to be able to sell an 04, with the Gen III super truck, waiting right around the corner, they must do something that we all really want. something that we risk our warranty for, because we must have it,,, we must!!. how about this:
an 04 Gen II, with a 4lb lower, factory tuned, air supply to match, Factory tech valve body or a switch for "comfort/performance" settings, new heads, old clunk, and you are very near the 12's with a full factory warranty.

Old 05-22-2003 | 09:06 AM
Even after reading the Autoweek article, which BTW has a few mistakes (6.0 turbo V-10, what are they smokin'?) and doesn't really tell us anything we don't already know from the past two weeks.

I still think it is believeable and likely that we'll see the NEW body style Lightning at the auto shows next spring. Maybe not as soon as LA or Detroit but probably by Chicago or NY. Maybe the truck will make it by next summer...as on '05 in the summer of '04.

That would be fine by me since my '99 only has 55k right now and still going very strong.

It is amazing to me how many people have still never seen a Lightning before or just don't know what they are. I guess not everyone is a gearhead like us, huh?

Collin

Old 05-22-2003 | 09:11 AM
|
Originally posted by Collin

It is amazing to me how many people have still never seen a Lightning before or just don't know what they are. I guess not everyone is a gearhead like us, huh?

Collin
Very true Collin. Even a few of my friends that I consider gearheads knew very little, or nothing of the Lightning. Seems to fly under a lot of people's automotive radar. Maybe it's because it's a truck, and thus very easy to dismiss as a performance vehicle in some people's minds.

Old 05-22-2003 | 09:16 AM
Originally posted by redlightspecial
Sorry Doug, all I was doing was putting up a link to an article from a well respected automotive publication. I take no responsibility for the accuracy of the information. Just something I thought might be of interest to the community.
Red- At least your info was published in a magazine.

The ones that get me are the 4th hand conversations with the local sales guys...

Old 05-22-2003 | 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Silver_2000_!
So now there are what 5 theories about what might happen next year and the year after

Only FIVE????? We forgot a few ... No more Harley's after
'03 ... 4 valve engines for the lighting in '04, more boost,
bigger pulleys, intercooler changes, prechiller, IRS, Venturi
rear pressure system, ummmmmmm

I know I forgot a few ....

I'll still trust my high level source ... <grin>

Old 05-22-2003 | 09:52 AM
Originally posted by zbornac
The guys at the SVT booth at WFC this weekend said that there was going to be an '04, but it was just going to be a rollover of the '03. Who knows.

-Kimball
Wouldn't that mean that they are just rebadged '03 models?
Once the assembly lines are switched to manufacture '04 trucks they will not be able to produce the old style. Aren't the L's built on the same line as the regular cab trucks and optioned out to become L's?

Old 05-22-2003 | 09:53 AM
|
Yeah, you'd almost think that all this confusion was by design on Ford's part.

Old 05-22-2003 | 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Norm
Wouldn't that mean that they are just rebadged '03 models?
Once the assembly lines are switched to manufacture '04 trucks they will not be able to produce the old style. Aren't the L's built on the same line as the regular cab trucks and optioned out to become L's?
They are BUT they are built in ONE plant that is or has gone away. Even though it is just options that still requires significant specialized tooling and support to produce...

Old 05-22-2003 | 10:10 AM
I heard that in 2004 there is going to an F-150 Classic just like Coke did when they introduced their new Coke to the market. The F-150 is Ford's largetst selling vehicle and they don't want jack with success... therefore F-150 Classic. So... there will be two version of the F-150 in 2004 and the 'boutique' version will not be available in the new 2004 version.

For what that's worth.

Quick Reply: No '04 Lightning, Will Be A F-250 Harley