Lightning

think it's time to change the brakes, they are starting to squeak at me

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2003 | 08:51 PM
|
think it's time to change the brakes, they are starting to squeak at me

I've been meening to do it, I even went out and got some nice new break pads that claim to reduce break dust. (how can they do that??) What kind are they ceramic pads?

If it's true that they reduce break dust, will they wear on the rotor a little more than normal pads? I just really want to eliminate break dust. Every time I go down the track or break quickly after to slow down, i get break dust on all 4 of my rims. It doesnt just happen at the track. Any tips on install on these pads? Tools I need... a t49 to get the break caliper off the rotor correct? anything else? Thanks, Shane

Old 05-21-2003 | 09:27 PM
brakes

stock breaks squeak.....period.

The Napa ceramix pads are supposed to be good, that's what i'll use unless i update my brakes.....which i probably won't.

Nice ET there by the way.....12.6 is screaming!!!

Old 05-21-2003 | 09:57 PM
WHOA!!! Those are HUGE pads!!!!

Those things are bigger than your truck!!

Old 05-21-2003 | 10:09 PM
Grrrrr.. BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE, BRAKE

Now I can go take my meds ..... G'night

Old 05-23-2003 | 01:36 PM
|
do you know how much rotors cost for the Lightnings? and how long the stock ones last? i have 30,000 miles and I'm changing the pads now. Now sure if the guy b4 me changed them once or not. I will see how the rotors look when I take the wheel and caliper off this weekend. any clue how much rotors are for our L's? i heard they were expensive... thanks, Shane

Old 05-23-2003 | 01:57 PM
Well, I dunno for sure, but my pads went out. BAD BAD.. i thought I would need new rotors... but they could still turn mine. They did. But the estimated cost for just two new front rotors and pads was like $320 parts and then labor. He said the rotors cost something like $80.00 a peice of $150.00 a peice depending on what set is on the lightning. He came up with two matches. :/ Crazy. But then again, where talking a break place and god only knows the markup. =-)

Old 05-23-2003 | 02:32 PM
|
Originally posted by wildneg
Well, I dunno for sure, but my pads went out. BAD BAD.. i thought I would need new rotors... but they could still turn mine. They did. But the estimated cost for just two new front rotors and pads was like $320 parts and then labor. He said the rotors cost something like $80.00 a peice of $150.00 a peice depending on what set is on the lightning. He came up with two matches. :/ Crazy. But then again, where talking a break place and god only knows the markup. =-)
thanks. 2 more things...
1. got any pics of the bike?
2. any info on those decals?
thanks, Shane

Old 05-23-2003 | 02:35 PM
I'll have to give my brother a call really fast and i'll let you know. The bike, ya, I had some pics. Not here @ work (@ work right now). In fact, having a problem with it Its all nice and done, it was stretched and lowered, engine redone, etc etc. Well, I had a guy tune it and ran nicely. For some reason, when firing it up, its backfiring through teh carbs (not good). Everyone is saying 'timing is off'... makes no sense as 2 days earlier it was running fine. Possibly sticky valves? Anyway to check? Clean? Or anyway to even 'attempt' to adjust the timing? I really don't think its the timing though...

Old 05-23-2003 | 04:30 PM
|
Originally posted by wildneg
I'll have to give my brother a call really fast and i'll let you know. The bike, ya, I had some pics. Not here @ work (@ work right now). In fact, having a problem with it Its all nice and done, it was stretched and lowered, engine redone, etc etc. Well, I had a guy tune it and ran nicely. For some reason, when firing it up, its backfiring through teh carbs (not good). Everyone is saying 'timing is off'... makes no sense as 2 days earlier it was running fine. Possibly sticky valves? Anyway to check? Clean? Or anyway to even 'attempt' to adjust the timing? I really don't think its the timing though...
I dont know anything about bikes man. I got the bike and I ride it. If anything mroe besides an oil change is needed, I will bring it to the dealership. If anyone ask Joe Rtkillasvt he has a new r1 he knows a lot about bikes. good luck with it, Shane

Old 05-23-2003 | 05:16 PM
Originally posted by ShaneMcKenna203
do you know how much rotors cost for the Lightnings? and how long the stock ones last? i have 30,000 miles and I'm changing the pads now. Now sure if the guy b4 me changed them once or not. I will see how the rotors look when I take the wheel and caliper off this weekend. any clue how much rotors are for our L's? i heard they were expensive... thanks, Shane
Here are Brembo OEM replacements--not expensive:

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...perf&x=74&y=10

Dan

Old 05-23-2003 | 05:53 PM
|
Originally posted by LIGHTNINROD
Here are Brembo OEM replacements--not expensive:

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...perf&x=74&y=10

Dan
perfect! thanks, Shane

Old 05-27-2003 | 04:01 PM
|
update

The back ones went on fine. The fronts the top caliper bold is stripped. (I think its from my torque bit we used was old and rusty. a t45) so I have to get new bolts b4 I take them off because I’m afraid I wont be able to get them back on. I've gone to a ford dealer and pep boys and they are confused when I tell them I used a t45 to take off the old bolts. Did the guy I got the truck from change the bolts out already from stock? What do I need to buy if I need replacement bolts to hold the break caliper to the rotor? Thanks, Shane

Old 05-27-2003 | 05:01 PM
stock breaks squeak.....period.
not always true, my 99 xlt didnt squeak once in the 55k miles I put on them, when the guy I sold my truck to changed the pads he said they still had about 18-22% left on them. That was my HS truck, I wasnt exactly easy on it, I drove it like a mad man a lot.

My L however has had a squeel since 17k miles...still have lots of pad left. I may switch to the NAPA onces just to stop the squeaking though, its embarassing sometimes.

Old 05-27-2003 | 05:51 PM
I just changed mine with the Napa ceramix front and back. In anticipation of my 20 inch Boyds coming, hopefully this week, but my L squealed too, after about 7000 miles. Another reason why I changed. Drives me up a wall! Well the new pads do not squeak, and as far as brake dust, they do make dust just not as much as stockers. Jeff

Old 05-28-2003 | 10:29 AM
anyone know the part numbers for them? Im too lazy to do a search :o

Quick Reply: think it's time to change the brakes, they are starting to squeak at me