Lightning

For those with Hotchkis Leafs

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2003, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those with Hotchkis Leafs

Did it drop your truck a true 2 inches? Comments on handling improvements, ride, etc.?

Also, will I need to change my shocks or will my stock Bilsteins work well with them? (I have a 2002) Anything else recommended to go with the Hotchkis leafs?

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-24-2003, 09:39 PM
I have the full Hotchkis kit with QA1 shocks and I got a true 2" in the rear and 1.5" in the front. The leafs are almost twice the rate as stock and they will destroy a set of Bilsteins. You should really go with a set of QA1s if you plan to run Hotchkis.

Old 05-24-2003, 09:42 PM
I plan on doing Hotchkis coils up front so I will be a 1.5" or so drop correct? Any issues with bumpsteer? Also what are the rates of the Hotchkis coils?

Would I only need new shocks for the rear?

This looks to be more expensive than I thought....

So far I plan on doing:

Front:
Hotchkis coils up front
Napa cam bolts
Clunk washers

Rear:
Hotchkis Leafs
QA1s (I know there are other aftermarket choices but I like the QA1s)

Am I missing anything else? No one makes a bump steer kit yet correct? How do I address this issue?

Old 05-24-2003, 10:29 PM
Account Suspended Pending Email Reply
Originally posted by cyntaxx
I plan on doing Hotchkis coils up front so I will be a 1.5" or so drop correct? Any issues with bumpsteer? Also what are the rates of the Hotchkis coils?

Would I only need new shocks for the rear?

This looks to be more expensive than I thought....

So far I plan on doing:

Front:
Hotchkis coils up front
Napa cam bolts
Clunk washers

Rear:
Hotchkis Leafs
QA1s (I know there are other aftermarket choices but I like the QA1s)

Am I missing anything else? No one makes a bump steer kit yet correct? How do I address this issue?
Not sure about the other questions, but here are the spring rates for the Hotchkis:

960lb Front
300lb Rear

Old 05-24-2003, 10:32 PM
I'm thinking of doing the same thing to my truck. Do the QA1's really help calm the hotchkis leafs down better than the stockers? Cause I heard the hotchkis leafs are pretty stiff on a stock setup...and I don't want to get much worse ride quality than what I already have. Anymore comments on this setup would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 05-25-2003, 12:39 AM
I've also heard that you should use a new bump kit...one by Energy Suspension? At least that's what Tim's site suggests...

Old 05-25-2003, 01:52 AM
So has anyone just installed the rear leafs only? All I want to do is get rid of the rake or at least minimize it. I know shackles would do this but if it is feasible to start with leafs I would do it.

Old 05-25-2003, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by MHMCGILL
So has anyone just installed the rear leafs only? All I want to do is get rid of the rake or at least minimize it. I know shackles would do this but if it is feasible to start with leafs I would do it.
That is why I want to. I want to lower it 2 inches with leafs and not shackles so I can build upon that setup in the future (for better handling, etc)

however i dont know if i want to drop coin on a complete setup at once if i have to get new shocks, etc

Old 05-25-2003, 03:24 AM
In order to maximize the potential of the Hotchkis kit you really need to run the QA1 shocks. Hotchkis of course is really designed more for handling than just lowering and I have no complaints about mine, but some don’t care for the ride. However I did drive mine back to back with a stock truck and on the freeway there was little difference IMO. It wasn’t until you start hitting curves that you really see a difference.

You will need new bump stops, but they are cheap and available at any Vato Zone or Pep Boys. There is no bump steer kit for the F-150…. yet.

Old 05-25-2003, 10:29 AM
So should I do just the rears now, or wait to do it all at once? I'm just tired of my truck sitting so high in the back.

Old 05-25-2003, 02:04 PM
I don't mind the stiffer ride (I am still half-contemplating the full Roush setup) and am seeking handling improvement as much as I want to see a drop in height.

The only thing I don't want to do is spend too much money on the truck. I wish I could do the leafs now and come back for the QA1s later....but I know it is ideal to do everything at once so the stock bilsteins don't get torn up too much.

That puts a hefty price on just the rear alone...close if not exceeding 500 bucks!! For less than 200 more is the rull Roush setup with shocks, leafs, springs, etc...

Old 05-25-2003, 02:44 PM
The full Hotchkis set up with the QA1s will run you about $1500, but there is nothing better for handling...

Mark@LFP seems to have the best price on Hotchkis and Summit has QA1s for $139.95.

Old 05-25-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by MHMCGILL
So should I do just the rears now, or wait to do it all at once? I'm just tired of my truck sitting so high in the back.
Would not recommend doing just the rear. If you stiffen just the back end of the truck it will change the balance and result in a potentially dangerous oversteer condition. And, yes, the ride will be a lot stiffer.

Old 05-25-2003, 03:13 PM
Ok so on a ride quality scale of 1 to 10...

5 being a stock setup

Where do these rank
A.) the hotchkis setup with bilsteins
B.) the hotchkis setup with QA1s

Sorry I'm visual so a number scale helps

Old 05-25-2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by RollinLimp2001
Ok so on a ride quality scale of 1 to 10...

5 being a stock setup

Where do these rank
A.) the hotchkis setup with bilsteins
B.) the hotchkis setup with QA1s

Sorry I'm visual so a number scale helps
Well the Bilsteins will die a short death under the Hotchkis, so you will really have to go with QA1. Unless you like to replace shocks every year. IMO you can't really get better than the Hotchkis, but it is really up to you. The stock front coils are about a 650-700# coil and the stock rear is about 180#, so compare that to the 960 fornt and 300 rear of the Hotchkis.

Quick Reply: For those with Hotchkis Leafs