Lightning

Home made Traction Bars

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 05:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Home made Traction Bars

OK, Guys, I searched for 30 minutes, and I see all the store bought bars, I would like some info from people who built there own...

I am going to build a set of Rancho style bars, that go from the rear end to the frame..Way long, at least 5-6 ft..Want to go as far forward as possible...

I need ideas like tube size/wall thickness, type of steel...Rod ends...I am going to drill frame/weld brackets, I dont really care about what they look like, just want functionality...I need them long to provide lift, I was thinking of using sherical rod ends for the forward side to drill into the frame..And either rod ends for the back or some type of t-bar setup..

Any ideas would be appreciated..

I came to you guys, cause I know there is a lot of hands on kind of people here as well as fabricators...Thanks..

Old 05-25-2003, 06:27 AM
Banned
Well you could get all the heavy duty bracketry from LFP.. From there, you can build your own bars. Cant help you with specifics on type of metal to use or specs. I think by the time youre done, you would of been able to buy a set cheaper.

Old 05-25-2003, 09:32 AM
I don't think any of the lightning bars will fit his truck.

He wants to build a huge set for his PSD superduty xcab. Sweet!

I agree with ****, buy a kit to use the bracketry, and make the bar itself on your own.

Old 05-26-2003, 04:51 AM
I know their where people on this site that made their own, I talkd to them...Its fairly easy to make, but I want LLLONGG ones, like coming 6-8ft, the longer the better!!!!, has to do with leverage and lift..

Old 05-26-2003, 05:10 AM
Banned
Ive seen some huge *** ones on some big 4X4 SD's before at the last car show i was at. I dont know where they got them, but a 4X4 shop would be the first place i would check out.

Old 05-26-2003, 07:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On a 4x4 application. Try to have it's front pivot point pretty close (fore/aft) to the front U-joint.

WOT

Old 05-26-2003, 09:40 AM
I understand what you want to do and admire people that make their own stuff.
I would think that if you buy a set of the Lightning bars you would have the brackets and bars themself with the correct ends. By the time you buy and fabracate the brackets, you will probably come out ahead.
Then all you have to do, is cut the ends off the bars and get some 1" sch 160 pipe in the length you want, and weld the ends on your "pipes/bars".
Then you got what you need in the lenght you want

Old 05-26-2003, 10:31 AM
I made my own, cost $22 for the poly bushings. Made them out of shdl 80 1" black pipe. Made the brackets out of 1/4" steel plate. Made them at work all I paid was $22.00.

Old 05-26-2003, 04:16 PM
I read this thread this morning and thouht yea, it would be cool if we all could make our own for low $$$.

This afternoon, I happend to be driving behind one of those new Hummer H2's, and noticed the have a very long panhard bar (looked to be about 60" long) on the rear axel.

Another possible source would be the early/mid sixties chevy pickups with the coil spring rear axel, as they also have a very long panhard bar.

I wonder if we could use JLP's brackets with a pair of the Hummer H2 panhard bars and/or if necessary modify the bar/brackets slightly to come up with a more affordable alternative?

Anyone on this board have a source for GM parts that could check on the cost and what type ends are on the Hummer H2 panhard bar?

I know; shame on me for suggesting to put GM parts on our Ford's, but if all it takes is a few $$$ and maybe some light fab work, a bunch of us do-it-yourselfers will have another project on our list.

ForesVt

Old 05-26-2003, 07:31 PM
I would imagine Lightning parts would look inexpensive next to anything for a Hummer

Old 05-27-2003, 03:23 AM
Thanks, thanks, Thanks....

You guys told me were to start, I knew if I came here you guys are the best fabricaters...The Dieselstop couldn't even suggest anything...

The 1"-1 1/2" black iron, sch 80 or 160...This is exactly what I wanted to know..

Now a question for you guys...Did you know that when you install the rancho bars that you want them as long as possible, it has to do with leverage, and then lift on the front end...

We do want to get the front end in the air dont we????

Maximum traction, with the weight shift....

Get the weight to the back...I dont know about you guys but my diesel BBllOOWWWSSS away the tires..I need weight transfer..

Again Thanks guys and lets get those frt tires in the air...Should not be any problems with that blower...I just have a crummy turbo!!!

Quick Reply: Home made Traction Bars