Lightning

Ranco-vs---slapper

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2003 | 02:34 PM
|
Ranco-vs---slapper

I am in the market for traction device I just want a little input from those who have theses set ups.
I know slapper is the cheaper fastest way ,but I don't like the look and it looks like a scrapping issue going in out of my driveway,speed bumps ect.
I don't know to much about the Rancho type but I did see a set on Don's Bolt when I was JDM's they look very simple to install also and don't appear to be a exhaust issue he was lowered 2" in the rear also.
So if you guys were in the market what type would you run price is not the issue they are close
Rancho $399
Slapper $279 plus different snubber $30 shipping?
Thanks
Slick

Old 05-25-2003 | 02:36 PM
I bought my JLP rancho-style bars for 325 on a special. Mark @ LFP also has similar bars for a little over 300.

Old 05-25-2003 | 10:57 PM
the rancho helps keep the rear end from moving side to side in the corners too..

Old 05-26-2003 | 09:01 PM
I think the slapper price you've got seems a little high. Last time I looked the Lakewoods were around $99 for a lightning.

I've heard the ride for everyday driving is very rough with slappers compared to the rancho style bars, which a friend has and said he noticed no change in ride quality since installation.

Old 05-26-2003 | 09:38 PM
If you are lowered ANY more then 2 inch shackles the Lakewoods will not work unless you do some pretty major "shiming". I had the lakewoods, and went to a set of JLP bars. If I was doing another truck I would start off with the JLP bars!

Old 05-26-2003 | 09:46 PM
Can you guys educate me on this? Slapper bars to me seam like when the springs wind up the snubber end would go away from the spring toward the ground and not help on wind up? Is this right guy’s?

Old 05-26-2003 | 09:58 PM
Truck-Traks are a very heavy duty "slapper" bar. There are no ground or exhaust clearance issues, as they do not go betwen the ground and the exahust.

They are practically invisable from the side of the truck, as they are hidden by the bodywork. They will work on lowered trucks, as the ground clearance is only affected by the tire diameter.

They install in a matter of minutes, with simple hand tools, and require no drilling or disassembly of the rear axle ***'y.

Check my website below.

Old 05-26-2003 | 10:08 PM
Bars

If your going to do slapper bars, spend the money and buy Jays Truck Trac's, ask around they are of the highest quality and I have yet to here anything bad about them, in these parts a tough thing to acomplish, with that said I installed JLs bars and have been very happy with the overall solid feel the truck now has, it just feels more planted around town. I didn't want to drill the holes but bit the bullet and haven't been disappointed. Good luck, Todd

Old 05-26-2003 | 10:18 PM
Can you guys educate me on this? Slapper bars to me seam like when the springs wind up the snubber end would go away from the spring toward the ground and not help on wind up? Is this right guy’s?
The axle housing actually rotates the opposite way to the axle rotation, thus bringing the snubber up into contact with the front of the leaf. It's that old pyshic's law for each action there is a equal and opposite re-action.

Old 05-27-2003 | 08:10 AM
Originally posted by 2001SVT
The axle housing actually rotates the opposite way to the axle rotation, thus bringing the snubber up into contact with the front of the leaf. It's that old pyshic's law for each action there is a equal and opposite re-action.
I knew someone would have a good answer for me! thanks man!