Lightning

Road Racing Claims Two

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003 | 12:00 PM
Banned
Damn I never even heard about it, but then again maybe if I watched the news I might of heard.

Old 05-26-2003 | 02:18 PM
Posting Rights Suspended For Too Many Antagonistic Posts
You guy's make me laugh! 500.000 horses betwen us and your preachin to the choir. What about the on average 40 to 50 accidents in San Diego on any givin day in perfect wheather , these are the drivers I worry about. People need to learn there limitations, most ricers and rodders can drive a little bit but the young ones get a little outside there comfort zone. Sorry about the innocent victims but senior drivers and drunks and teenage girls are a far greater danger and do more damage on a daily basis than any street racers! O'ya dont leave out the soccer mom van drivers that are doing anything and everything but driving! People that wreck for no clear reason on a clear day should be billed for all rescue services, police time ,caltranes time and my time while waiting for the wreck to clear!

Old 05-26-2003 | 02:30 PM
What happened sucks but I have, do, and will race on the street ocassionally. Of course I usually do it with no passengers (less weight ) and only in isolated environments with no traffic and clear conditions.

I realize that kids these days are becoming more and more reckless behind the wheel of an automobile, no matter if it's a 500 horsepower sports car or their soccer mom's Explorer. Driving a Lightning, I have been chased down in traffic just so they could "see me run." I always refuse. I've had stupid kids cut others off and bob and weave for miles through heavy traffic just so they can come up next to me and try to get me to race. I always refuse.

However, there are times when I encounter a nice, respectable car or truck at a stoplight or on the highway. It usually doesn't take much to race them as both realize the conditions are clear with no traffic, etc. and all it takes is a nod, not revving or inflamatory words. And as sad as it is for me to say this, most of these people I encounter who "race" with level-headedness, courtesy, and respect are usually guys in 35 + in age.

Old 05-26-2003 | 02:35 PM
Also, I wouldn't say that is "road racing"...but more "street racing"

Old 05-26-2003 | 03:00 PM
I'm pretty sure both these z28's are the ones that passed me on I-85 (coming fromS/C direction) at about 3:30pm. I was coming back from the Harley event at Atlanta Dragway @ about 75mph when both these Camaro's passed me running at least 95 one behind the other in typical heavy metro Atlanta traffic. The driver of the green camaro "reved" his engine as he passed me in my Black L. I told my wife at the time that these guys were going to kill themselves or somebody!!

Old 05-26-2003 | 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Eds 01 Lightnin
I'm pretty sure both these z28's are the ones that passed me on I-85 (coming fromS/C direction) at about 3:30pm. I was coming back from the Harley event at Atlanta Dragway @ about 75mph when both these Camaro's passed me running at least 95 one behind the other in typical heavy metro Atlanta traffic. The driver of the green camaro "reved" his engine as he passed me in my Black L. I told my wife at the time that these guys were going to kill themselves or somebody!!
Glad you didn't take them up on their offer!

Old 05-26-2003 | 03:45 PM
Originally posted by smkstklightning
You guy's make me laugh! 500.000 horses betwen us and your preachin to the choir. ...
Self control, restraint, respecting that much power- I'd say that gives a reason to be preachy.

It's one thing to street race on empty road where the only people who could get hurt are those who willingly participate, and a completely different thing to put your passengers in that position (even if they encouraged the race).

Anyway this subject has been beat to death on many occasions. And I do agree about the average stupid drivers and everything else you stated.

Old 05-26-2003 | 04:45 PM
Police have identified the victim in Saturday's wrong way accident as 22-year-old Justin...
The ONLY victim in that situation is the guy that was driving the flatbed that he hit, not himself...

Old 05-26-2003 | 07:25 PM
Old 05-27-2003 | 11:37 AM
Originally posted by LIGHTNINROD
It's three dead now--an update:

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...treetrace.html

Dan
Where do you see that??? It still says 2..............Did you post the right link......................I hope it's not 3...........2 is bad enough!

jc

Old 05-27-2003 | 01:11 PM
I liked this part,

"i would like to make this short and not flame anybody and allow some facts to be straightened.....

i was the driver of the silver car. i was out on the road since i was doing some quick tuning to my car since it is running pig rich. i was not out there to race, i actually went to the freeway when i left so that nobody would follow me and try to race me on that road (like happened to me and so many others a couple other times that day). when i came back down the road i drove past the hotel and went to turn around when i spoke with a pewter truck (obviously the one that posted here) that flashed me and i backed up and spoke to him for a brief moment before seeing scott coming down the road. i backed up and scott turned around and told me that he was going to get some grub. scott and chikn were both members of my message forum that myself and Zeeya created. chikn was our webmaster. it was dark where scott and i were talking at the top of the hill and i could not see who was in the car with scott. i saw one person in the front and one in the rear. scott joked with me about racing me and i laughed it off because i thought he was joking. i took off, and scott gave chase. niether one of us had 'arranged' any race. i took off just as i was planning on doing before scott had showed up, and he followed suit. when we came towards the curve i put in the clutch and slowed down.....scott did not (unless he just did not slow down much). for those saying we were both going in excess of 100mph, i let the clutch out when i came out of the curve and was in 2nd gear....i do not let my clutch out in 2nd anywhere above 60mph. no idea how fast scott was going at this time. i saw scott in the corner of my eye as he went up the hill off the road. i immediately put the car in neutral and shut it down. i coasted all the way to the back of the hotel lot where my passenger and i tried to gather what had just happened. i walked back to the scene and told the police i was the driver of the other car. i was charged with street racing, failer to stop and render aid, and even though i blew a 0.0 breath test and passed sobriety tests they charged me with a DUI. they told me i had to have marijuana in my system because something with my eyes (i had been out in the sun since 7am sat till this time. i also have a lazy eye that could have been what they 'saw'. i am also a large protester of drugs, anybody that knows me knows i will not even go near drugs!)"

Taken from this message board

Last edited by easterisland; 05-27-2003 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-27-2003 | 01:49 PM
Bottom line is if you choose to race on public streets, then all the repercussions are on you. It is simply a matter of choice, and we live in a country that grants us that right. However, the laws are pretty clear, so if someone is injured or killed from a preventable incident, then the legal ramifications (both criminal and civil) are yours to bear. Happy Motoring.

Old 05-27-2003 | 01:59 PM
While driving to work this morning traffic was backed up for miles on I-24 west between Ashland City and Nashville Tennessee. I saw the wreck and it appears that at least one person died. There appeared to be two cars involved and they were banged up pretty bad. Were they street racing? I doubt it, they were just average cars.
People will die in motoring accidents. When a camaro or other performance car is involved in an accident cops will be looking for any excuse that street racing or high speeds are involved and that is what will be reported. Either the driver of the silver camaro is lying or he is telling the truth, but I'd really like to see hard evidence of street racing or that the driver of the silver camaro was DUI of something...

Last edited by easterisland; 05-27-2003 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-27-2003 | 02:03 PM
Originally posted by easterisland
...they told me i had to have marijuana in my system because something with my eyes (i had been out in the sun since 7am sat till this time. ...
Some great detective work there

"Um your eyes are read so your high"

Old 05-27-2003 | 03:34 PM
Originally posted by MiamiWhiteSVT-L
Where do you see that??? It still says 2..............Did you post the right link......................I hope it's not 3...........2 is bad enough!

jc
jc: Sorry, you are correct in that it's not in that story. Here is a quote from another site:

"Just got the news that another one of our members on our site has passed away. He was the driver of the car and has been in intensive care all day fighting for his life. This is the third life in this accident.

R.I.P. Scott

Scott also was a member of this board but do not know his user name. "

Dan

Last edited by LIGHTNINROD; 05-27-2003 at 03:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Road Racing Claims Two