Lightning

Kill Story: Lightning 1; Deer 0

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003 | 09:45 AM
|
Angry Kill Story: Lightning 1; Deer 0

I know what it is like to hit a deer at 65mph . Good news is I had my son and one of his buddies in the L with me and nobody was hurt. Bad news is I need a new front clip for the L. Radiator was damaged but still functions; Air-conditioning is gone; hood and bumper trashed; grills???....what grills. Can't open the passenger door and the driver's side is binding a little bit.

The deer came across the oncoming lanes of traffic and jumped a barrier wall before it landed right in front of me. It was raining and dark and I didn't see it until it landed right in front of me. The deer exploded on impact and I couldn't see out my windshield until I got the wipers on full and sprayed the windshield with cleaner.

Thank god the dear flew over the top of the truck and landed on the side of the highway. I will never forget the images and watching that thing land in my rear-view mirror. I think I will take deer hunting back up again . They are overpopulated and a real hazard....I challenge any animal activist or PITA SOB to tell me that don't need to control the deer populations.

I will save you the details of the cleanup. The only way I've found to make myself feel better is to fix the L better than it was. An aftermarket hood to go with my new Sir Michaels; perhaps HID lights and billet grills.

I'm guessing the damage to be around $5000; let the insurance games begin!

Old 05-27-2003 | 09:47 AM
Banned
Unhappy

OUCH, glad to hear everyone is ok though.

Old 05-27-2003 | 10:10 AM
probably alot more $ than that.. A girl just hit my car a few weeks ago, and all it did was peel the front bumper off my stang, well that was a quick 2500 bucks

cobra bumper, foglamps, headlights, and what ever else is under the bumper

Old 05-27-2003 | 12:05 PM
Account Suspended Pending Email Reply
Sorry to hear about the accident...

Otherwise, at least you're in better shape than the deer!

I agree with ctupton... You do own a Lightning... So, I'd say you're talking about $11k+... Especially since it did enough damage to mess up the radiator, etc... No airbags went off?? (That's a GOOD thing, IMO, but I can't believe they didn't!)

Old 05-27-2003 | 01:13 PM
|
I thought about the airbags too. Don't they work off of something that senses a drastic reduction in speed?

We were all buckled in (Missouri was running a "Click it or Ticket" campaign) but I didn't have time to react or hit the brakes....we literally blew through the deer.

You're probably right on the costs.....Luckily I know the owner of the best repair shop in KC. They do all the Jags, Mercedes, BMWs. I'm trying to be positive and it will come out as good as new and I will not have any rock chips.

Old 05-28-2003 | 04:04 PM
|
$7300.00

See my post on turning Lemons into Lemonade

Old 05-28-2003 | 05:47 PM
I hit a deer about 3 weeks ago going around 20mph. That f'er rolled a few times, got up, and continued after his buddies who I slowed down enough not to hit. My upper speed grill was tore up, but the lower was still intact. When I put the new grill on this weekend, I noticed my grill surround is kind of tore up too. I used a few zip ties, and all's in pretty fair order. Now, I have a spare to make inserts for whichever ram air hood I get.

Old 05-28-2003 | 06:02 PM
Wow hitting a deer with no brakes is quite a shot to take,
TG no one was hurt.

I ran a deer over once that was already lieing in the road
in a Big Black Camaro. I had to smell burning flesh for quite some time afterwards

Glad ALL of you were ok

Old 05-28-2003 | 06:05 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Glad to hear you are all ok. You are lucky it cleared the roof.

I just missed one last month. I was traveling the freeway at about 70 when traffic suddenly started to slow up in front of me. There were four deer running down the middle of the freeway in the grass. They didn't cross the road, and for some stupid reason I decided to coast right past them.

Just as I got up to them the first one turned and in a flash was jumping across the road in front of my truck. It's funny how your mind takes a picture of that instant and remembers it. Time froze and though he was running full it was as if he was standing five feet in front of my truck, and I was thinking, "now I'm looking real supid." I't a good thing he had some speed in those legs.

Quick Reply: Kill Story: Lightning 1; Deer 0